Command over...

Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Dropped Structures...</div>Alright my idea is for Gorges and the structures that Gorge personally drops. First idea is with Offensive Chambers, Gorges should be able to highlight an Offensive Chamber they have personally dropped and using a small Pop up menu do one of the following to it: 1. Tell the Offensive Chamber to fire at all hostile targets 2. Have it fire on Marine structures only 3. Have it fire on Jet Packs, Heavies, or Lightly armored Marines only 4. Have it fire on Destructible objects in the map such as Vents, destroyable walls, etc. 5. Have it cease fire on all targets. Also there would be another option as an attack option, you would be able to change the Offensive Chamber from Spiked singular ranged attack to a slow bursting short ranged Shotgun like Spiked attack. Each spike would still do 20 damage (or 25 if it had focus) but it's spread and range would drastically reduce it's effectiveness as the projectiles travel.

Second idea is for any structure (but Hives) that a Gorge has dropped. Again they'd have to highlight that structure again with another Pop up menu using the Chambers that have been Dropped by the team lock in one upgrade for that chamber. The following upgrades would do the following for structures; Regeneration would make that structure self heal slowly like if a Defensive Chamber were close by, Silence would Silence any sounds from that Chamber, Cloaking would cloak that structure only, Carapace would add a little more health lets say 12% more to whatever that structure's base health is, and Focus would double that structure's damage but half it's attack speed. For Movement Chambers they could either get Silence, Regeneration, Carapace, or Cloaking. For Sensory Chambers they could get Regeneration or Carapace. Defensive Chambers could get Carapace or Cloaking. Resource Nodes could get Regeneration, Carapace, Silence, or Cloaking (possibly Focus see the Third thought). Offensive Chambers could get Focus, Regeneration, Carapace, Silence, or Cloaking. Only one Upgrade could be used for any one Chamber. Any structure that has Regeneration and is near a working Defensive Chamber would be healed be a lower amount lets say 5% less than if it were to have another upgrade.

Third idea is for Resource Nodes. The sack or bladder on the top of Resource Nodes should be able to attack like Offensive Chambers, only doing 10 damage a spike but still able to attack. The bladder would have to move, rotate, sway to follow the Marine it is shooting. If this idea were implemented it is why I said they could possibly get Focus as their one upgrade. Also could have the same open as an Offensive Chamber with the Shotgun like bursting attack (15 damage per Spike if Shotgun spread attack is selected).

Again only the Gorge that has dropped and owns that structure could change any Attack Options, Attack Types, and Chamber Upgrade.

Anyhow those are my Ideas, discuss.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    huh.

I'm not too keen on the OC modification. Simplify it a bit, right now it's a bit clunky and too many choices for negligible benefits.

The chambers getting upgrades are interesting. Probably needs to be some tweaking for balance obviously. But I like the concept. Cloaked DC chambers? =] Haven't really mulled over the specifics yet.

I don't think the res nodes should fight back. I'm guessing this is sorta the counter to Marines getting electrification. However, electrification is only in a small range, and so the Aliens just have to get a little creative. While the Marines have ranged weapons, they have to pump a lot of damage into it. Maybe instead give it a protective goo. Get too close and you take damage (knifers) but ranged it takes slightly reduced damage. Not as much as say Umbra, but to make it a little harder to lmg down. Although making them get ammo and meds might make it worth it anyways, just like Aliens either need a Gorge to re-heal, Hive2 Fades, or OC chambers to take an electrified RT.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    Yea, some type of goo would be better than a RT/OC hybrid.

I Like the idea of a short range 'Burst' of all the chamber's spikes, to go with it's ranged one shot. The OC's options should be streamed to Kill all, Kill JP, Kill Heavy, Kill Structures. no ceise fire, as that's retarded, destroyable envirmoment can be covered by structures.

Chamber upgrades sound nice....very nice, but the owner shouldnt be forced gorge to upgrade, put that detail in, or it's upgrades would never come if the person was a RT dropper.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Gorges should be able to highlight an Offensive Chamber they have personally dropped<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Or maybe, any gorge can walk (waddle) up to any OC and give it some love (health spray maybe?) for a few (5?) seconds. After a certain amount of time the OC would recognize that gorge as a good guy and allow for adjustments to its bio-programming.
    wth? That made little to no sence
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    It made perfect sense. Friendly Gorge A comes to Gorge B's Offensive Chamber to prove non hostility and then is able to change it's target of attack or attack type.
    Sense in 'why the ###### should i be forced to do that'.....
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    The first idea is new. Haven't heard that one before, and I like it. However, I can immediately think of some problems:

1) If the specified target is not in range, will it default to typical firing patterns (that is to say, if you say it shoots only human structures and they are destroyed, will it then shoot any humans in range afterwards?).

2) What's to keep some lamer from going to every offense chamber and switching its mode to "Cease fire on all targets"?

3) Being able to control which targets it shoots at seems too much like something a sentry turret would do. The idea is that it's a living organism that decides for itself which targets to destroy. Goes against the general alien theme in my opinion.

So possible solutions are:

1) Defaults to typical firing patterns when target is not in range.

2) Make it so that only the owner of the offense chamber can modify anything.

3) Don't know if this problem can be resolved so easily.

As for the 2nd and 3rd ideas, I've seen them before. The 2nd idea seems to make the game more complicated than it needs to be. If one of the biggest complaints of natural selection is that it is too difficult/frustrating for newbies to learn, we don't need to add to the complexity. Having defense chambers with movement attributes doesn't help any. If anything, it needs to be intuitive.. perhaps a specialization of the chamber on how it affects surrounding allies, default being of course regeneration for defense chambers, hive teleportation for movement chambers, and cloaking for sensory chambers.

The third idea is just bad. Resource chambers don't really need to be self-defending for aliens. The electric field ability for marines was adopted because it was all too easy for a lonely skulk to find an undefended resource chamber, and the only way to remedy that before the update was to make a turret factory and several turrets (of which the turret factory itself was an easy target without at least 3 turrets). You could argue the same for alien resource chambers, but due to the nature of marine playing style, you're likely not attacking a resource node unless you're with 2 of your marine buddies, which means you're spread out less. Aliens are sort of all over the place at any given moment and it is enough that all alien players are made aware of the resource node taking damage for action to be taken (or at least it should be).

Asymmetry++;
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Only reason I posted the Resource Node idea for Aliens is so that Marines can't horde knife it forcing them to shoot it.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1694404:date=Nov 26 2008, 09:20 AM:name=Konohas Perverted Hermit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Konohas Perverted Hermit @ Nov 26 2008, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1694404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only reason I posted the Resource Node idea for Aliens is so that Marines can't horde knife it forcing them to shoot it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the present system is almost flawless on that. Standing next to a node makes you a sitting duck, while shooting it forces you to consider your ammo counts and possible directions of attack. Knifing is also a little quicker without upgrades, but later on the role of the lmg against RTs becomes quite solid. All those offer some nice little decision making for the marine.

Of course some other ways of variating decision making are also good and the present system still forces aliens to bhop on most cases to take advantage of the knifer's position, but nevertheless the knifing possibility itself is good and should not be removed without a good reason.
  • DeathsiegeDeathsiege Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51580Members
    Keep in mind that these are ALIEN STRUCTURES, not Marine computers. A deer can't walk up to a tree and tell it to launch it's branches at a nearby hunter, nor can the deer make the tree regenerate it's bark as a lumberjack cuts it down with an axe. And RTs NOT fighting back is one of the things that gives the alien team its identity. The difference between the two teams is what made NS such a great game.

People already compare a gorge to a commander too much, don't make gorges any more like them.

If I could propose any thing to be added to OC's and alien structures, it would be to allow aliens to put them on walls and ceilings.
    The bottom part is in another thread, find it.

True, we do need to make the gorge less of a Sub-Commander, but the two abilities(weapons) for the OC that were suggested should be put in under the gorges control.
    Off Topic: There is even a Plug In for Natural Selection now to build structures (Hives and Resource Nodes apart) on walls and ceilings. Kinda fun but kiddies abuse it and make retarded Gorge forts with it rather than helping their team.

On Topic: So no one thinks the Resource Node idea would balance the game? Oh wells. Upgrading a structure with one Upgrade too hastily and too Commander like? Sad I liked that idea. Different target types and attack types for Offensive Chambers is in? Maybe have it automatically do that depending on the Enemy's range?
    That'd save the gorge time, if the rine is in 15 meters, EXPLOSION of spikes in all directions, atleast 6 have to hit the targeted rine, any other spikes go freely, hitting anything else. =P

after 15 meters, normal single shot

This inforces marine range rather than get close.