20th Century boys : live action film coming Aug-30

Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
<div class="IPBDescription">from the manga of the same title</div>I have not seen the manga 20th Century Boys. I have read there is a moving coming out on Aug-30 in Japan.

<a href="http://www.20thboys.com" target="_blank">http://www.20thboys.com</a> (click on the small trailer and wait a few minutes to see it in bigger size)

Not sure what it is about. I think it involves childhood memories and a giant robot.

Anyone care to explain ?

Is the manga/anim worth to take a look at ?

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Due to a recommendation from a friend (and a gift, actually) I read the first volume. It was good, but I recognised the style of a manga that will be canceled after a couple of issues due to lack of readers (Slam Dunk, I'm looking at you. With sad, mournful eyes). German kids apparently just want their Yu-gi-oh, and nobody else seems to read manga.

In short, I did not buy any volumes (yep, part of the problem I complain about!). However, I'm told that it's still a good series. And I'll certainly need to inform my friend.
  • DrSuredeathDrSuredeath Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8217Members
    edited July 2008
    In the '80s a group of kids makes up a secret base, fantasizing about giant robots, UFO, and saving the world.
    When they grew up, one of them started up a scientologist-kind-of-cult "FRIENDS" that unleashed giant robot, UFO, and pretending to be the messiah, everyone in the world bought it, including the UN and the Pope, all of it using the plan made up when they were kids.

The Kenji and other kids came together to fight the cult and was branded terrorist group. It was pretty complicated manga, full of flashbacks and backstabbing. The story has a lot of arc, Kid Kenji (in flashbacks), Young Adult Kenji (learning about the cult), Adult Kenji (Leading the underground group), Teen Kanna (10+ years later, organizing the group in place of Kenji, her uncle), final arc with Kanna and her uncle's friends leading the resistance.