Some requests, mostly about japanese string

mhamanakamhamanaka Join Date: 2008-06-12 Member: 64429Members
edited June 2008 in Decoda
Hi,

First of all, I'm trying Decoda for some time and I'm very impressed!
that I wrote a review (japanese language) on my blog.(http://hammm.blog21.fc2.com/blog-entry-75.html)

I didn't expect that my VC++/Lua(static link) projects can be debugged with GUI debugger, without any change to my project. Also it can display japanese text in source code pane. Which also I didn't expected.

And then, I have some requests to improve Decoda further.
- ability to save font and encoding settings.
(I need to modify font settings, everytime I launch Decoda, to show japanese text.)

- japanese language support in watch window.
(it shows 'Improperly formatted XML' or something, if a table has japanese language string values.)

- ability to show the metatable values of a table in watch window.

I want to explain what I call 'japanese language' in Windows.
It is SJIS(Shift JIS) encoding. which is basically two-byte encoding.
If the first byte's value is in the defined range (some part of 0x80-0xFF area), then it is two-byte character. Other than that, it is almost the same as ASCII string. Windows has an API named IsDBCSLeadByteEx() to determine that.
We also uses EUC encoding, which has similar structure as SJIS, but not so popular in Windows than in UNIX.
Unicode/UTF-8 is another option but not default.

Also, some other countries in asia(korea/china) use EUC type encoding.

I will be much happier with these features.

Anyway, it is GREAT tool as of now.
Thanks!

Comments

• mhamanakamhamanaka Join Date: 2008-06-12 Member: 64429Members
    Hi,
    I'm using Decoda for some time now, and I've found some facts about these points.

<!--quoteo(post=1680978:date=Jun 12 2008, 06:56 PM:name=mhamanaka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhamanaka @ Jun 12 2008, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1680978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And then, I have some requests to improve Decoda further.
    - ability to save font and encoding settings.
    (I need to modify font settings, everytime I launch Decoda, to show japanese text.)

- ability to show the metatable values of a table in watch window.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

About saving font settings, I can successfully save and load settings if I choose an english named font.
    But if I choose japanese font, Decoda will not load setting file.
    So the problem is the font name string, which is SJIS encoding.

When I look at options.xml, the XML has encoding setting of UTF-8, but the font name is in SJIS.
    That leads to XML load error, as I guess.

I attached the setting file (options.xml), after saving font setting.

And another point, I can show metatables, by setting "getmetatable(self)" to the watch box!

Thanks,
    Makoto
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Thanks for the feedback. We'll make sure the next version addresses these problems.