Marine corpse abilities.

The_DisposedThe_Disposed Join Date: 2007-05-29 Member: 61052Members
What does everyone think about marines corpse not disapearing after they die?. I was thinking of alien abilities that exploit corpses. One problem is would the corpse block movement or slow you down and what would happen in a phasegate meatgrinder, would the bodies stack up or move to the side.

Ok i will say some abilites that exploit corpses, some of these might have been said already.

Skulk can eat corpse to regain some health.

Gorge can suck some resources out of the corpse.

Shoot eggs into a corpse, after 5 seconds small alien spiders will burst out and attack marines, like babblers.

Shoot seed into corpse, alien plant will grow out of the corpse and attack marines with projectile attacks, the plant can attack 20 times before it depletes all the fluids in the corpse, after that it will die.

Thats all i can think of, say some more ideas if you want.

Comments

• the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    Google Search (since the one on this site isn't really effective tbh&b)

use this querry: " corpse site:www.unknownworlds.com "

Returns many topics including this one which is almost an exact repeat of this topic:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=103332" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=103332</a>

Sry m8.

*sigh*
  • The_DisposedThe_Disposed Join Date: 2007-05-29 Member: 61052Members
    That thread is about the corpse not fully disapearing for about 40 - 90 seconds, that is enough time for an alien to use an ability on the corpse. This thread is about the abilities too.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I'd like to see the physics so that you could use bodies as a bit of a quick meat shield while they're falling to the ground. By physics I mean that knockbacks and friendly fire don't knock the out of the way or down to the ground too easily. Dead onoses on tightly packed hallways might create quite interesting situations.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Honestly it's better without the bodies. From an atmosphere perspective, I would rather to see the corpse reclaimed by nanites or bacteria/phased back to the support ship for repair.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited June 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1680359:date=Jun 6 2008, 11:45 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bacillus @ Jun 6 2008, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1680359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see the physics so that you could use bodies as a bit of a quick meat shield while they're falling to the ground. By physics I mean that knockbacks and friendly fire don't knock the out of the way or down to the ground too easily. Dead onoses on tightly packed hallways might create quite interesting situations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This may also become frustrating... very frustrating indeed xD
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Or they burn away like the Combine in HL2 when you're in the citadel. Reclaimed mass for the recycling of souls.

Waste not.
  • CoffeineDreamCoffeineDream Join Date: 2008-07-01 Member: 64534Members
    Lerk: shoot spores to body so when alive marines step near the body it releases toxic gas

Onos:Devour the body and hold the player inside until he(onos) dies and marine can respawn back

Fade : shoot the body (acid rocket) and the corpse explodes damaging near marines

PD: The onos idea is very lame
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1680326:date=Jun 5 2008, 09:14 PM:name=The_Disposed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The_Disposed @ Jun 5 2008, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1680326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk can eat corpse to regain some health.

Gorge can suck some resources out of the corpse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i'd love to see this in the game, but unfortunately i dont think it will happen. it will make the game a bit more gory, and possibly bump up the rating so a younger audience can't play it. i'm sure flayra would like to target the widest audience possible.

another option could be to drag the bodies back to the hive for some small benefit, or for the DI to consume it and quicken its spread...

<!--quoteo(post=1680326:date=Jun 5 2008, 09:14 PM:name=The_Disposed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The_Disposed @ Jun 5 2008, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1680326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shoot eggs into a corpse, after 5 seconds small alien spiders will burst out and attack marines, like babblers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this was done in an old quake 2 mod called gloom, you could infect the corpses and make a swarm of flies hover over it, which caused damage to any humans that walked too close. it was a pretty cool game, and that feature was probably my favorite part of it.
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1680363:date=Jun 6 2008, 09:23 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Jun 6 2008, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1680363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly it's better without the bodies. From an atmosphere perspective, I would rather to see the corpse reclaimed by nanites or bacteria/phased back to the support ship for repair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Meh, ragdoll bodies are very cool actually, but they need to disappear at some point or they are going to start to cause server-side lag and a signifigant unnecessary waste of server memory.

All I can think of when you say that is Strogg stroyent production...

OMG IT'S TEH NEXUS!!!

<!--quoteo(post=1682445:date=Jul 2 2008, 06:06 PM:name=Buzzou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buzzou @ Jul 2 2008, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1682445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'd love to see this in the game, but unfortunately i dont think it will happen. it will make the game a bit more gory, and possibly bump up the rating so a younger audience can't play it. i'm sure flayra would like to target the widest audience possible.

another option could be to drag the bodies back to the hive for some small benefit, or for the DI to consume it and quicken its spread...
    this was done in an old quake 2 mod called gloom, you could infect the corpses and make a swarm of flies hover over it, which caused damage to any humans that walked too close. it was a pretty cool game, and that feature was probably my favorite part of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh please, the hell with the ESRB. You know as well as I that highly-interfering government censorship created because of Mortal Kombat has not stopped kids from playing HL and HL2 games, which have always had a M-rating. How many times have you played a game an heard a squeaky voice on the other end? Oh noes a kid will play as a skulk and then try to bite people's heads off in real life! Yeah right, get a grip on the paranoid hysteria people...

Personally, I think the striving for the Teen rating on NS2 is a silly thing as it limits the art form. Know that gore shouldn't be gore for gore's sake, that's not art, it's just crap. Yet, gore <i>should</i> be allowed if it fits in the art work and adds to the immersion in a natural way. A skulk getting obliterated by an explosive or xenocide shouldn't just play the basic death animation and go *poof* like a fairy, the *********** should frikin explode with skulk claws and gibs of shrapnel flying into the marines' player models. A marine jetpacker gets nailed with a focus swipe mid-air. Play the basic lean-backward slowly dying animation, in mid-air? Retarded. Make an spetacular blood splatter trail follow the failing rag-doll model and you watch the physics of air friction, momentum, and inelastic collisions at work with awe. A fountain of blood-mist arching through the air as the body falls with a satisfying thud as the fade makes it's escape past a stream of tracers from heavy machine gun fire. Rather than making the art cheap to meet a rating, make the art truly an art work. Simple yet satisfying death events with a bit of gore when done correctly can look beautiful.

That's just my two cents on gore.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64467Members
    If you want to flame on the rating system make a thread for it please, I didin't come to this tread just to hear somone flame. As for the body idea just keep the bodies like they are in alot of mods, there for about 2 minutes and there gone. maybe having a gorge get extra res out of it or the skulk getting health maybe?
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    Real simple suggestion:

At current, the moment a player dies, his body ceases to interact with the world. You can still SEE it for a few seconds, but you can walk through it and shoot through it as if it wasn't there.

Suppose we change that and say dead bodies have a 5 second timer before they despawn, and during those 5 seconds the corpse still interacts with collisions / line of fire /etc. So if you shoot two skulks in a line, the dead body of the first one can block your ammo, protecting the 2nd one from you for a few seconds. And you couldnt walk through them, although you could probably jump over any corpse except an Onos.

Further say that if the corpse takes as much damage as its starting HP (without armor) before it despawns naturally, then it gets gibbed so you can continue to shoot through the area. So a wave of skulks charging an HMG would provide very limited damage shields as they evaporate pretty fast, but a dead Onos body would absorb quite a bit of firepower and make a decent shield for the units behind it.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64467Members
    Ya, Cxwf Idea is one I can see being in practical use and it woulden't make side lagg a problem even if the bodies are left alone. As for aliens having abilities I'm still sticking to skulks getting HP and gorges getting res.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1683107:date=Jul 11 2008, 05:53 PM:name=Cxwf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cxwf @ Jul 11 2008, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1683107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bodies remain as shields<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not a bad idea. I would recommend less damage for the gib, though. A full 100% dmg over can be quite a bit. D&D 4th ed. states you die when you hit -50% health, regardless of saves. I would recommend some kind of scaled value from their max hp. Even pumping a gorge twice over with firepower is a huge meatsack of a corpse. Remember, they've died because we riddled them with enough bullets already to kill them.

Also, perhaps allow the corpses by the physics engine to have weight and such. So, an Onos tries to fall over, but might be propped against a wall. Or the Onon might fall sideways and create a barrier, but you can still climb over it as if it was part of the scenery.

I can imagine players intentionally pushing corpses in front of them to block bullets. Perhaps a gorge with a dead skulk on top? =]