Handling Baserushed

BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
edited April 2008 in Frontiersmen Strategy
<div class="IPBDescription">in 6v6 or whatever you're playing.</div>Let's create a fictional situation in 6v6. Map is Tanith and aliens got waste. You know the aliens would love to baserush sooner or later. Aliens drop west acc and Fusion nodes.

I send 2 to dbl and the rest 3 build the ip, armory. I see that the hive is waste, so I drop a pack of mines and an obs. Cappers die at dbl quite bad, but the sg push through chem moves quickly and faces little resistance. At this point you can assume that either they're going to ambush somewhere closer to fus or its a baserush. Meanwhile I've got one guy capping sat side, 3 at sg push at cargo and one guy basically baseguarding and keeping the waste side clear. Since my obs is placed on the waste facing wall of ms, I can see the baserush coming early, 4 dots outside ms. I've got the 'baseguard' at base, and I drop him a sg, assuming its about 3 skulks and a lerk by a quick judge. Meanwhile the sg team moves to fus and starts shooting the rt with all they've got. What happens, is they get the baseguard down due to the bad reg, nice dodging, bad aim, bad medding, whatever and move to obs with 4 guys. I beacon the same moment I can see that fus rt is going down. The obs starts to beacon, but gets chewed down milliseconds before finishing, since 4 biters pretty much instakill it. I get the obs at fus, but it takes time before I can afford the beacon and I practically lose the round there.

My biggests regrets: Possibly not hopping out. Its a bit of a gamble always, this time it might have worked better, since my medding failed anyway. Then again, the fus ms offers nice cover after you can clear the middle. I doubt I'd have killed the lerk on my own even if I got the 3 skulks with my baseguard. The unstable reg of some european servers doesn't help the decision either.

Not dropping another pack of mines for the obs when I saw the rush coming. Obiviously you haven't got much time, but even a single mine at obs might have helped. Maybe planting the first pack at obs instead of the ip. Ip is better off against 2 skulks, since one has to take out the comm while the other gets blown by the mines while trying to kill the respawning baseguard. Also the baseguard could probably have used the ip mines to blow up some skulks.

Maybe pushing through central acc with sg, or pushing west access rt. I'd have loved to push fus since I had the pg teching after a few scans, but that leaves your base quite open on waste side, no matter which route you use.

Not having 2 guys at waste side of the map. I needed one guy to cap sat side, but maybe pushing with 2 marines only, dropping one guy to cap. Then again, you pretty much need those 3 marines to fight off the res defenders if there are any. Too bad I saw that there was so little defence when it was too late already.

Not beaconing earlier. The rt had gone down anyway if I had becaconed a second earlier. I needed the rt down for sure though, since I was lacking the upgrades and needed times before the fades started messing up.

Not capping double with three. Gamble once again. This time I lost with my two marines. More res and I could have reloced to fus for example. Never crossed my mind while playing though. Probably couldn't have afforded it anyway, at least not after losing 15 to the beacon that never finished.

Anything else you want to point out. I sure learn about every baserush, but I feel a bit uncomfortable learning through mistakes while there are 5 others losing too.

E: Meh, epic typoes even at the topic.

Comments

• t0x1kw4st3t0x1kw4st3 Join Date: 2008-04-27 Member: 64167Members
    Mines are good early game defense vs skulks... if you must, put one on IP, one on OBS, and one near the CC. Place them strategically so that the skulks will not expect a mine near the CC when you pop out and begin firing.

If you respond quickly enough, you should be able to handle a threesome of skulks along side your baseguard and some mines. Or, just beacon before the obs goes down. Seems like an unlucky circumstance.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    Placing mines would probably have been the best in this case before they got into the base. This all happens in about 3-5 seconds as soon as you notice the dots. This would be more natural with more practice.

In your position I would have given the base monkey a pack of mines and would have dropped a shotgun next to the command chair (but far enough so as not to pick it up right away when hopping out). Next, 3 medpacks would be placed between comm and the base monkey for insurance.

Jump out of the chair and start shooting skulks <u>with your LMG for better range</u> as the base monkey runs up the platform while dropping mines in a staggered pattern. If the skulks push beyond the entrance of MS, pick up the shotgun and finish while staying inside the minefield.

While this is happening, hopefully your SG team or any other free marines would be going to waste to spawncamp.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1677010:date=Apr 28 2008, 12:46 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bacillus @ Apr 28 2008, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1677010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's create a fictional situation in 6v6. Map is Tanith and aliens got waste. You know the aliens would love to baserush sooner or later. Aliens drop west acc and Fusion nodes.

I send 2 to dbl and the rest 3 build the ip, armory. I see that the hive is waste, so I drop a pack of mines and an obs. Cappers die at dbl quite bad, but the sg push through chem moves quickly and faces little resistance. At this point you can assume that either they're going to ambush somewhere closer to fus or its a baserush. Meanwhile I've got one guy capping sat side, 3 at sg push at cargo and one guy basically baseguarding and keeping the waste side clear. Since my obs is placed on the waste facing wall of ms, I can see the baserush coming early, 4 dots outside ms. I've got the 'baseguard' at base, and I drop him a sg, assuming its about 3 skulks and a lerk by a quick judge. Meanwhile the sg team moves to fus and starts shooting the rt with all they've got. What happens, is they get the baseguard down due to the bad reg, nice dodging, bad aim, bad medding, whatever and move to obs with 4 guys. I beacon the same moment I can see that fus rt is going down. The obs starts to beacon, but gets chewed down milliseconds before finishing, since 4 biters pretty much instakill it. I get the obs at fus, but it takes time before I can afford the beacon and I practically lose the round there.

My biggests regrets: ...
    Not dropping another pack of mines for the obs when I saw the rush coming. Obiviously you haven't got much time, but even a single mine at obs might have helped. Maybe planting the first pack at obs instead of the ip. Ip is better off against 2 skulks, since one has to take out the comm while the other gets blown by the mines while trying to kill the respawning baseguard. Also the baseguard could probably have used the ip mines to blow up some skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know if you would have had time to plant mines. Having your only baseguard plant mines with four outside of base just seems to leave him/her too vulnerable. I think dropping the mines and then hopping out to cover with LMG/backup shotgun as <b>Sarisel</b> suggested would have been best if you really wanted those mines down.
    <!--quoteo(post=1677010:date=Apr 28 2008, 12:46 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bacillus @ Apr 28 2008, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1677010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not having 2 guys at waste side of the map. I needed one guy to cap sat side, but maybe pushing with 2 marines only, dropping one guy to cap. Then again, you pretty much need those 3 marines to fight off the res defenders if there are any. Too bad I saw that there was so little defence when it was too late already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously marine skill is important and maybe those two at dbl would have died with shotguns but I think if you knew the hive was Waste when equipping, sending the shotgunners to west/top of double while one caps sat and one caps in dbl would have worked better. They still would have been able to go pressure fusion afterward and you might have had more res when that baserush came. Maybe not though, it sounds like a lot of little things could have changed this game.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Jump out of the CC.

<b><i>Always</i> jump out of the CC.</b>
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1677367:date=May 1 2008, 01:48 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sherpa @ May 1 2008, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1677367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b><i>Always</i> perform the Furious maneuver.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited May 2008
    Heh. Its always a bit of a Furious potential while hopping out in Euro servers, since the finns just can't hit UK players and the other way round and the Eastern and Southern Europe have bad connections 85% of the time. My inconsisted aim doesn't help things either. If it wasn't that lerk, the hopping would have been my choise, now I'm not that confident about dropping it even if it goes kamikaze at me. Since my marine play is bad, I prefer to do everything I can to prevent those do or die hop outs.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mines are good early game defense vs skulks... if you must, put one on IP, one on OBS, and one near the CC. Place them strategically so that the skulks will not expect a mine near the CC when you pop out and begin firing.

If you respond quickly enough, you should be able to handle a threesome of skulks along side your baseguard and some mines. Or, just beacon before the obs goes down. Seems like an unlucky circumstance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I had mines. Its just that you can't afford to mine every building effectively in 6v6, since aliens are going to have fades at 3:30 unless you get their RTs down and thus you need res for upgrades early on. I could have beaconed maybe a second earlier, but I really needed the rt down at fus, since I was low on res and hadn't caused any damage on their economy. Lone mine at cc? Its a lucky shot even if you get one skulk with it. If the skulk is smart enough, it will dodge the lone mine and bite you twice. After that there will be no beacon to get the 3 guys from fus to base.
  • kiddiegrinderkiddiegrinder Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25181Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1677367:date=May 1 2008, 03:48 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sherpa @ May 1 2008, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1677367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jump out of the CC.

<b><i>Always</i> jump out of the CC.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->