Parasite Ideas

Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
edited December 2007 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Limitless Potential</div>After playing some Stalker and Starcraft, I had a few ideas that could be implemented involving the "parasite" to enhance the game and bring in a new audience.

Idea #1 When a marine is parasited the alien commander has the ability (for a sizable amount of resources) to make the next alien player spawned pop out of that marine's chest in a bloody gout.

Imagine a group of marines defending someone to make a phase gate, except one of them is parasited, the alien commander says to his team what it is he is about to do, the parasited marine stands still, and then a small torrent of blood jets forth from his chest and the wailing scream of a skulk can be heard, the marine squad looks around in confusion, until the skulk's scream reaches a crescendo and he explodes with his xenocide ability. The marines are decimated. But only at a great loss of resources to the alien team and the inattentiveness of the marine team.

This would add a nice bit of paranoia and atmosphere while still being fun and balanced. And also give the lowly skulk the surprise he needs to be an effective killing machine

Idea #2 When a marine is parasited the individual alien player that parasited him has the ability to (for a large amount of his resources) possess the marine and take control of the marine, effectively turning him into a zombie. Kinda like the ones from stalker. The marines appearance changes, his face becomes more gaunt, his eyes turn black, and his eyes and nose begin to bleed. The marine player that previously controlled the marine will for all purposes be killed and respawn, and the alien player will take control of him, with full ability to use his weapons, (although not as effectively as a non zombie player) and can pick up the ammo of other dead marines. For the alien this basically takes the place of an evolution because it destroys his original form and costs a hefty amount of resources.

Imagine a group of marines standing around an RT attempting to construct it with a few marines watching over them, when suddenly one of the guardsman's nose begins to bleed, and he begins to cry blood, but no one notices, then suddenly whirls around and clumsily rips the pin from his grenade and hurls it at the group of marines building the RT, blowing them to bits, the other one on gaurd turns sharply to see to the commotion when he is met by the black eye of a pistol barrel, and is no more, the last marine who killed his teammates then clumsily staggers away to wreak more havoc with his newly acquired guns

these abilities wouldn't affect expensive units like heavies and jet packers tho

Let me know if u like these ideas, if you don't explain why, and give feedback on how to improve it if you do.

Comments

• DominingDomining Join Date: 2007-09-27 Member: 62452Members
    Why would it have to be the parasite ability? I think idea #1 is a perfect candidate for the onos 3rd hive ability. Except.. it wouldn't cost any res, use the old paralyze animation.
  • Al_Ka_PwnAl_Ka_Pwn Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63264Members
    edited December 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1665854:date=Jan 1 2008, 01:16 AM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Jan 1 2008, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1665854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would it have to be the parasite ability? I think idea #1 is a perfect candidate for the onos 3rd hive ability. Except.. it wouldn't cost any res, use the old paralyze animation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought it might be best if controlled by the commander so it can be timed effectively, and the reasoning behind it being a rather hefty rez investment is because being instantly killed as a marine for being hit one time with a parasite is not fun for the marine, and isn't something that i think should happen frequently, but enough, and at the right time to where it may be effective, heck if they have enuff resources maybe it could be 2 skulks at once.

and i feel that having it be a 3rd hive ability might be too late in the game to make it of any substantial use.

maybe if they did do it and make it free, it could only happen whenever a player gets under a certain amount of health, I do like that idea, 3rd level onos ability, infect someone with an egg, and when they get down to 35 health BAM out spawns a skulk, that would solve my worries about it over riding the skill of staying alive, and the usefulness of it.
  • MagicElementalMagicElemental Join Date: 2007-02-04 Member: 59871Members, Constellation
    edited January 2008
    On seige maps however res is picked up very quickly and consistently.

Are they going to add a alien commander?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I don't think this ability should belong to the onos. If anywhere it should be on a weak "caster" like the lerk or gorge. Babblers 2.0 maybe? To reference Starcraft, there's a reason spawn broodling is on the Queen and not the Ultralisk.
  • DominingDomining Join Date: 2007-09-27 Member: 62452Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1666010:date=Jan 2 2008, 10:56 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Jan 2 2008, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1666010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think this ability should belong to the onos. If anywhere it should be on a weak "caster" like the lerk or gorge. Babblers 2.0 maybe? To reference Starcraft, there's a reason spawn broodling is on the Queen and not the Ultralisk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well that's a really vague matter of opinion. I personally believe that aliens shouldn't have an 'ultralisk'. Only a different alien which performs a different role and must have support in order to function (spell casting such as stomp). The onos should be easier to kill (no carapace/redemption) but have more devastating abilities. - be a cross between a defiler and an ultralisk
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1666059:date=Jan 2 2008, 04:24 PM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Jan 2 2008, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1666059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well that's a really vague matter of opinion. I personally believe that aliens shouldn't have an 'ultralisk'. Only a different alien which performs a different role and must have support in order to function (spell casting such as stomp). The onos should be easier to kill (no carapace/redemption) but have more devastating abilities. - be a cross between a defiler and an ultralisk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you want to make the onos an endgame unit again. My objection is based on the onos having two "instadeath" abilities, but if you think the onos should be a one man team wrecking machine I can see why you'd want the onos to have it. I'd prefer the gorge/lerk to have it because I think it fits in better with the "stay back and support" mentality. This is the kind of ability you peek around corners to use and that's not really an onos's style.
  • DeadmanDieingDeadmanDieing Join Date: 2004-02-23 Member: 26811Members, Constellation
    Honestly I wasn't thinking of an instadeath sort of thing. More of a slowly dying sort or thing. Ethier have the "alien commander" or a gorge or lerk be able to do the effect.

BTW still not too keen on the whole "Alien Commander" idea.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    The res investment would have to be huge, letting a skulk teleport to the marines is easily as powerful as a shotgun. Then there's the whole thing where a marine instantly dies, no quesitons asked.

If used with any level of competence, it would put an entire pressure or cap team in the spawn queue. If not immediately, then around the next corner because of how badly crippled they'd be after it resolved.

I would plug it at around 25 res, or the cost of a gorge+node, which would pay for the node it saved and gain map control.
    <!--quoteo(post=1667586:date=Jan 15 2008, 11:21 PM:name=DeadmanDieing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeadmanDieing @ Jan 15 2008, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1667586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly I wasn't thinking of an instadeath sort of thing. More of a slowly dying sort or thing. Ethier have the "alien commander" or a gorge or lerk be able to do the effect.

BTW still not too keen on the whole "Alien Commander" idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well I think of it as instadeath because of the following scenario. An onos is alone and sees 3 heavies(a comparable res investment to an onos) he spawn-sites one of them and waits until the death or close to it and stomps, devours a non-sited heavy, stomps again and alternates goring/stomping the last heavy with his new skulk support. It's a lot like devour in that you're not immediately dead, but there's a timer on your life.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2008
    Insta-death is bad. (Being devoured is such a ######. We've got enough of that.)
    Anything that drains life indefinitely, is also bad, medpacks would be useless, and you're practically dead already anyway, why not just have a quick clean death? Though, I guess you could remedy that by making the medpack remove the draining ability. Or the draining ability doesn't drain indefinitely, but only a certain number of health points - but then, again, if you're gonna lose that much health anyway, what difference does it make? Of course, you could put BOTH, then the (limited) health drain would be stopped, making it less final, by giving marines a proper counter.
    If you don't get medpack'ed, you lose the full amount of health points, but at least you won't (might not) be dead.