Meta-Guide to Competetive NS

2»

Comments

• enigmaenigma Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31623Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1645078:date=Aug 21 2007, 08:37 PM:name=tekproxy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekproxy @ Aug 21 2007, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1645078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Made updates to movement section but forgot to bump. Should wall hopping be considered a movement type?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

few people know how to do wall jump effectively. most people just end up getting themselves killed without causing any real distraction.
  • tekproxytekproxy Join Date: 2005-03-11 Member: 44813Members, Constellation
    I apologize for the broken filefront links. I fixed them.

If they become broken again I'll add them as an attatchment.
  • DRagonDRagon Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18833Members, Constellation
    edited November 2007
    didn't read whole your post but adding wall hop would be at place, after all it's a type of movement which can be use more or less effective.
  • alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1640608:date=Jul 25 2007, 08:57 PM:name=tekproxy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekproxy @ Jul 25 2007, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1640608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am very adept at over-complicating things and I'm told I'm severely pedantic... By the way, to be pedantic means to have a teaching nature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

when people call you pedantic they usually do so in this sense

<i>one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge</i> (Merriam-Webster)

please take special care to notice the words "unimaginative" "unduly" and "minutiae"

it's an insult, ok? a pejorative.
  • alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
    edited December 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1641315:date=Jul 30 2007, 09:02 AM:name=Lump)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lump @ Jul 30 2007, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1641315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For alien play, with a good amount of speed you can throw a marines aim all over the place using pancaking, blinking, leaping <!--coloro:#DDA0DD--><span style="color:#DDA0DD"><!--/coloro-->and awareness of the marine players perspectives<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a very good point, it reminds me of a Nietzsche maxim
    <blockquote><i>One must have a good memory to be able to keep the promises one has given. One must have strong powers of imagination to be able to have sympathy. So closely is morality bound to the quality of the intellect.</i></blockquote>

as it is to morality, so too is the intellect bound to talent in NS.

some (maybe even most) people inherently lack the intelligence and the imagination for empathy--literally to see the world from another's perspective--, and these people are severely handicapped in NS combat as a result.

and at the root of this is intelligence; I've long had a hunch that skill in NS is heavily <i><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_intelligence_factor" target="_blank">g</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i> dependent, and since general intelligence is inherited and unalterable, it explains the well known phenomenon of "time played does not equal skill"

I've noticed that many of the best clan players are also university students (this was confirmed when Flayra <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=101286&view=findpost&p=1623504" target="_blank">interviewed players for NS2 input</a>), which goes to show how much intelligence really is at the root of NS ability. (and also why some people just are just bad: because they're dumb.)

---
    <!--quoteo(post=1641163:date=Jul 29 2007, 08:19 AM:name=MrBen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrBen @ Jul 29 2007, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1641163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've only ever met a few people on the internet I couldn't talk to properly in between being racist and abusive to<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's hilarious when people whip themselves up in some righteous fury over jocular bad behavior and then cross their arms, furrow their brows, and insist angrily "No. I'm not playing. You are rude."

or better yet when taboo subjects (race, religion, sexuality), which are always the most fertile topics for jokes, are taken seriously over the INTERNET, as if people think they have a personal image and integrity to uphold; I guess that's why I like anonymous imageboards, where that kind of ego-fa99otry and contrived "maturity" is shunned
  • tekproxytekproxy Join Date: 2005-03-11 Member: 44813Members, Constellation
    edited December 2007
    aleph:
    Very interesting reply. I have been musing over the fact that I never improve unless I'm playing intelligently while I play. Improving takes real effort--consistant, conscious effort.

As with your regards to racism:
    The notion that some sounds are inherently bad is very old and in some danger of being forever forgotten, but it takes time and introspection to "unlearn" behavior so deeply ingrained. Every time a new server goes up it's always "do not type words most people don't like on your keyboard" and mp_bs 1.

Which reminds me, if you're ever wondering why you see so much bs 1:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->// block <b>abusive</b> console scripts (wait, special, etc.)?
    mp_blockscripts 0<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What person in their right mind <i>wouldn't</i> set mp_bs 1 with that kind of serious verbage???