Hellgate: London

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Diablo II was one of the most polished games I'd played in a while. Hellgate: London, by all accounts, is the exact opposite.
  • sgt.wafflessgt.waffles Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62406Banned
    I think it was because of how repetitive it was, i mean there are some games where i don't have a problem with repetitiveness but diablo 2 wasn't one of them. I just couldn't really get that immersed into it because of how hard it got, really quick, i mean it first went from killing zombies and wendigos to suddenly killing a huge demon boss at the end of the map that i had to exploit in order to beat. I don't know maybe it was because i was the necromancer.

And like you said, it's jsut the demo and it's not nearly as polished as the final version...
  • Awesome_LocksAwesome_Locks Join Date: 2007-10-22 Member: 62705Members
    I've played the Demo, it feels a lot like an updated Diablo 2, which is great, but I'd rather get Super Mario Galaxy and RE; Umbrella Chronicles this month >.<
  • sgt.wafflessgt.waffles Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62406Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1659612:date=Nov 7 2007, 12:59 AM:name=Wexx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wexx @ Nov 7 2007, 12:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've played the Demo, it feels a lot like an updated Diablo 2, which is great, but I'd rather get Super Mario Galaxy and RE; Umbrella Chronicles this month >.<<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Umbrella Chronicles i heard goes through the games RE0, RE1, i think RE2, and RE3.
  • spinviperspinviper Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16151Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1659571:date=Nov 7 2007, 04:13 AM:name=sgt.waffles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sgt.waffles @ Nov 7 2007, 04:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmmm, so what would you rate it in terms of an RPG.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, there isn't much "Roleplaying" involved. Its basically a hack-n-slash game ala Diablo II.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Indeed. No roleplaying at all. Rpg's a misnomer in this case. Hack 'n slash all the way.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <insert very long winded rant about how there is no roleplaying in ANY CRPG>

RPG in a videogame means that you have character development (in terms of getting more badass, not in terms of plot)
  • MamboKingMamboKing Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27169Members
    I know it was posted in the thread already, but this was a terrible time to release this game. There are a ton of much bigger titles coming out and Tabula Rasa looks like the same game.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1659686:date=Nov 7 2007, 09:06 AM:name=MamboKing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MamboKing @ Nov 7 2007, 09:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know it was posted in the thread already, but this was a terrible time to release this game. There are a ton of much bigger titles coming out and Tabula Rasa looks like the same game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa.....

*GASP*

HA!

Sorry.

No, they really are nothing alike at all. (aside from being set in the future, however, even there it doesn't work that well, one is Aliens one is deamons and zombies).
    Well, I agree that pretty much any CRPG is mislabeled.
    Which one's <i>aren't</i> mislabeled? What does roleplaying mean? We play a "role" in every game, for instance.
    You play a role when you make an active effort to be someone other than who you are. When you play TF2, for instance, you pick an "avatar" as dictated by your class choice based on certain gameplay considerations, but you don't roleplay. You don't adopt the soldier's gruff stereotypical "sarge" voice or start bossing your team around. You're still just Tycho sitting in front of your computer having some fun and getting some frags.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1659690:date=Nov 7 2007, 09:25 AM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Nov 7 2007, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa.....

*GASP*

HA!

Sorry.

No, they really are nothing alike at all. (aside from being set in the future, however, even there it doesn't work that well, one is Aliens one is deamons and zombies).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

arguing that two games are different because one has aliens and one has demons is like saying <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_3D_Noah's_Ark" target="_blank">Super 3D Noah's Ark</a> and Wolfenstein 3D are totally different games because one features nazis and one features farm animals.

I've played both TR and HGL, and they do fit a similar niche. shooty online RPG with FPS elements. TR is a 'proper' MMO and HGL is more like Guild Wars, but they play similarly - upgrade your guns and grungy future magic skillz to defeat ebil. TR has more open space and HGL is pretty cramped, though. TR probably has more 'meat' but HGL doesn't have a required pay-to-play scheme.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659710:date=Nov 7 2007, 11:17 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiscoZombie @ Nov 7 2007, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->arguing that two games are different because one has aliens and one has demons is like saying <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_3D_Noah's_Ark" target="_blank">Super 3D Noah's Ark</a> and Wolfenstein 3D are totally different games because one features nazis and one features farm animals.

I've played both TR and HGL, and they do fit a similar niche. shooty online RPG with FPS elements. TR is a 'proper' MMO and HGL is more like Guild Wars, but they play similarly - upgrade your guns and grungy future magic skillz to defeat ebil. TR has more open space and HGL is pretty cramped, though. TR probably has more 'meat' but HGL doesn't have a required pay-to-play scheme.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was saying that the only similarity was the genre of the story, and even there, the genre is not actually all that similar. Super 3d Noah's ark (ph33r my sling shot of dewm) and wolf3d are the same game EXCEPT for the genre, so actualyl my statement is the inverse of yours, and I deem game play to be much more important the genre of story in a video game.

the game play itself of the 2 games is almost 100% different. HG:L plays like DII with out the ability to lock on, and requiring you to actually aim. Where as TR plays like WoW.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659707:date=Nov 7 2007, 10:52 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Nov 7 2007, 10:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You play a role when you make an active effort to be someone other than who you are. When you play TF2, for instance, you pick an "avatar" as dictated by your class choice based on certain gameplay considerations, but you don't roleplay. You don't adopt the soldier's gruff stereotypical "sarge" voice or start bossing your team around. You're still just Tycho sitting in front of your computer having some fun and getting some frags.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know, when I play TF2 I get more into the roles of the different characters than I do in most actual RPGs. When I play, say, the Witcher, I don't really feel like some badass womanizing white-haired monster slayer - I feel like I'm watching a movie where I get to control the fight scenes and upgrade the main character. When I play a scout in TF2, I feel like I'm really playing the role of some jerky in-your-face guy who loves to mess with people (and break their stupid crap, moron).

but Thansal is right - really, the accepted use of the word 'rpg' when it comes to video games just means character stat advancement.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659711:date=Nov 7 2007, 11:23 AM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Nov 7 2007, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was saying that the only similarity was the genre of the story, and even there, the genre is not actually all that similar. Super 3d Noah's ark (ph33r my sling shot of dewm) and wolf3d are the same game EXCEPT for the genre, so actualyl my statement is the inverse of yours, and I deem game play to be much more important the genre of story in a video game.

the game play itself of the 2 games is almost 100% different. HG:L plays like DII with out the ability to lock on, and requiring you to actually aim. Where as TR plays like WoW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In the beta of TR, you were forced to have to aim, but I hear they have since added on more MMO-like controls, with the option of switching back to the FPS style controls if you prefer them... even with the WoW-like control scheme, I feel like they both scratch the same gaming itch - futuristic online RPG where you upgrade weapons and magic to fight monsters.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659713:date=Nov 7 2007, 11:33 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiscoZombie @ Nov 7 2007, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In the beta of TR, you were forced to have to aim, but I hear they have since added on more MMO-like controls, with the option of switching back to the FPS style controls if you prefer them... even with the WoW-like control scheme, I feel like they both scratch the same gaming itch - futuristic online RPG where you upgrade weapons and magic to fight monsters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The difference to me is that things like where you are and where you are aiming matter in HG:L where as in TR you can tab select (when I played there was no option for anything like twitch based controls). You can doge projectiles and melee attacks in HG:L, you can't in TR, etc etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659707:date=Nov 7 2007, 09:52 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Nov 7 2007, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You play a role when you make an active effort to be someone other than who you are. When you play TF2, for instance, you pick an "avatar" as dictated by your class choice based on certain gameplay considerations, but you don't roleplay. You don't adopt the soldier's gruff stereotypical "sarge" voice or start bossing your team around. You're still just Tycho sitting in front of your computer having some fun and getting some frags.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But when I played the HG:L demo, I roleplayed. I thought to myself "if I was this person, what would I do? Well, I'd want some really heavy armor, becuase there's no way I'm letting those zombie dudes touch me. And if I'm wearing a lot of heavy armor, I can probably get close and dish out some damage, so I'll use swords." Etc. That seems like roleplaying to me. I didn't choose my guy just because I wanted to do melee or have fun and get frags or something.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659716:date=Nov 7 2007, 11:42 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Nov 7 2007, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But when I played the HG:L demo, I roleplayed. I thought to myself "if I was this person, what would I do? Well, I'd want some really heavy armor, becuase there's no way I'm letting those zombie dudes touch me. And if I'm wearing a lot of heavy armor, I can probably get close and dish out some damage, so I'll use swords." Etc. That seems like roleplaying to me. I didn't choose my guy just because I wanted to do melee or have fun and get frags or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes, but that was Tycho deciding that he wanted to play a blade master not a marksman.

If you want to be technical about it EVERY video game where the main character is not YOU is role playing. Jumper consists of you playing the role of jumper.

Halo is roleplaying as you play as Masterchief, not your self.

Generally when people refer to role playing it refers to having a good amount of decision making power over how the character acts. And by act I am not referring to simple physical actions, I am instead talking about character development, more advanced actions, etc etc.

The difference between playing a part in a play and improve acting.
    But lolf said it was just an active effort to be someone other than who I am. I was most definitely not "Tycho sitting at the computer playing Diablo III: This Time It's London." I was making an active effort to be my avatar (who, coincidentally, was named Tycho). Under YOUR definition, I might not have been playing an RPG, but under lolf's, I was.

I like yours more btw. It's probably the best one I've heard, although I think you could probably put it in a much better way if you wanted to make it like, a well-defined definition instead of just a description.
    I stand by my definition. It IS an active effort to play someone other than who you are. My definition is just not hairsplitting-proof, and I refuse to waste my time on making it so.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    I always thought role-playing (as in, RPG) was when you had sufficient control over your character that you could influence the outcome of the game.

Half-life/Halo/Portal aren't role playing because the game will always end the same way, regardless of what you do.

EvE-Online/Final Fantasy/WoW/KOTOR are role playing because you are given choices that influence the history of your character and/or the outcome of the game (assuming it has an end).

Saying that for a game to be "role playing" you have to <i>imagine</i> you are the person doesn't make sense. I can yell "ARRREEEESSS!!" all day but that won't make God Of War a role-playing game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659723:date=Nov 7 2007, 11:19 AM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xyth @ Nov 7 2007, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659723"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I always thought role-playing (as in, RPG) was when you had sufficient control over your character that you could influence the outcome of the game.

Half-life/Halo/Portal aren't role playing because the game will always end the same way, regardless of what you do.

EvE-Online/Final Fantasy/WoW/KOTOR are role playing because you are given choices that influence the history of your character and/or the outcome of the game (assuming it has an end).
    Saying that for a game to be "role playing" you have to <i>imagine</i> you are the person doesn't make sense. I can yell "ARRREEEESSS!!" all day but that won't make God Of War a role-playing game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In that case, Counterstrike is a roleplaying game. If I'm having a good day, and I basically win the game for my team, I determine one of two possible endings, just like I do in KOTOR.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1659736:date=Nov 7 2007, 01:46 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Nov 7 2007, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In that case, Counterstrike is a roleplaying game. If I'm having a good day, and I basically win the game for my team, I determine one of two possible endings, just like I do in KOTOR.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's just the outcome of the round, no matter how many times you rescue the hostages from cs_office they will STILL be there next round.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1659739:date=Nov 7 2007, 12:59 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xyth @ Nov 7 2007, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's just the outcome of the round, no matter how many times you rescue the hostages from cs_office they will STILL be there next round.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What!? You mean everytime I rescued the GWB look alike from cs_office it was all a lie?
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1659740:date=Nov 7 2007, 07:05 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Nov 7 2007, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What!? You mean everytime I rescued the GWB look alike from cs_office it was all a lie?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sorry you had to find out this way.
    Xyth, modern technology can split a hair in 300 pieces along its length. Give it up.
    <!--quoteo(post=1659742:date=Nov 7 2007, 01:13 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Nov 7 2007, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xyth, modern technology can split a hair in 300 pieces along its length. Give it up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tycho can get it down to 400 (btw, I think you mean width)
    <!--quoteo(post=1659739:date=Nov 7 2007, 11:59 AM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xyth @ Nov 7 2007, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's just the outcome of the round, no matter how many times you rescue the hostages from cs_office they will STILL be there next round.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but no matter how many times I save the galaxy in KOTOR, it's still going to be in peril the next time I start a new game. The only difference is that it takes less time to decide the outcome in CS than it does in KOTOR.
  • KayomaniKayomani Join Date: 2003-05-17 Member: 16399Members, Constellation
    edited November 2007
    Just completed it at level 28 as a blademaster .. overall its been nice although just like in diablo you start back at the beginning .. intersting having level 31 zombies on the first level..

The bosses on the last level are a killer =x

Hopefully they'll add pvp areans or something to make guilds worthwhile.