I just bought an iPod (5th Gen)

CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Rockbox or iPodLinux?</div>So, my iAudio x5 died, I needed a new player. I bought an iPod with the intention to replace the firmware as soon as I got it (Haven't got it yet, will have by Monday or Tuesday).

I used Rockbox on my x5, and I liked it, and it's available for the iPod as well. However, so it iPodLinux. Both will play formats that the regular iPod firmware will not.

Anyway, I have experience with Rockbox, and I like it. This is mainly for people who have used iPodLinux, or preferably both. I'd like to hear opinions about the two.

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Out of curiosity, can any one comment on how these 2 are at managing the battery now? (I remember that beign one of the problems with rockbox for a while)
  • pardzhpardzh Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1601Members
    I'm getting an iPod soon, and this intrigues me.

Anyone out there with some info on it?
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    Well. Rockbox at least I know about. You put your music on your player like any other mass storage device, and a database is built from the id3 tags and such.

It's themeable, and plays flac and ogg, as well as mp3, wma and aac.

From what I'm getting on IPL, it uses MPD (Music Player Daemon) which does a very similar thing. I have used it on desktop Linux distros.

Although, it looks like the two can be dual booted, so I'll probably do that and use Rockbox for listening to music and IPL for screwing about.
  • pardzhpardzh Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1601Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1659258:date=Nov 4 2007, 03:05 AM:name=Caboose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caboose @ Nov 4 2007, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1659258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well. Rockbox at least I know about. You put your music on your player like any other mass storage device, and a database is built from the id3 tags and such.

It's themeable, <b>and plays flac</b> and ogg, as well as mp3, wma and aac.

From what I'm getting on IPL, it uses MPD (Music Player Daemon) which does a very similar thing. I have used it on desktop Linux distros.

Although, it looks like the two can be dual booted, so I'll probably do that and use Rockbox for listening to music and IPL for screwing about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Those 3 words made me a very happy person.

Hooray for lossless audio.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    So, I got my iPod.

I also got a pair of AudioTehnica M30 headphones. And omfg my flac music sounds great.