Squishy Light Ball

The_DisposedThe_Disposed Join Date: 2007-05-29 Member: 61052Members
In the future i don't think they would use flares so how about a squishy light ball. The com would need to research them first. The marines get 2 each like grenades. To use it the marines squish it to break a tube inside to combine the liquids then throw it on a wall, it sticks on the wall. It lasts for about 1 or 2 minutes.

What if a cloaked alien walks past the light ball and you can see its shadow. What if there was 4 light balls around the alien and you could see 4 shadows moving along the ground, but you still cant see the alien.

What if we could throw them onto other marines or aliens.

Comments

• SparkTRSparkTR Join Date: 2007-02-09 Member: 59913Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited September 2007
    Different, but good. The way I interpret this it that these seem like more offensive flares, like you hear a noise so you throw out a little flare that provides a small light source for a very small amount of time so you can see if anything is there. While there are bigger flares that are rarer but provide much more light for a longer amount of time, they are generally used for defensive purposes such as building a PG or TF away from your base. Either way, good idea.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    possable but if ya did i would think scan needs a nurf takeing every thing out of stealth and showing it on hte mini map plus aim at me ring is lame, how can i ambush in a situation like this.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1652861:date=Sep 29 2007, 05:19 AM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEX9 @ Sep 29 2007, 05:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1652861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stop by see some of my latest works in maya, ill even evently host my WIP's and old old works.
    <a href="http://nex17.deviantart.com/" target="_blank">http://nex17.deviantart.com/</a>
    search under digital art works<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, nice... I put you on my dawatch. As much as I love to watch felloww photographers post work, I hate the site. I have move to Flickr, OMP and now started to move to my own ".com" in hopes of posting my work somewhere better, without the Myspace crap, but I think I will always stay active just for the atristwatch feature. *shrug*

Back to the subject at hand, what about light sticks? Just like the simple green snap sticks you pop and throw on the ground. That has to be the EASIEST solution to lighting there is to make ni any game, plus its similar to flares, but no worries about smoke effects and they won't completely give away everything in the dark areas, just help a little bit. Like flashlights, they help some but not completely... Glowsticks. That's my vote!
  • The_DisposedThe_Disposed Join Date: 2007-05-29 Member: 61052Members
    [/quote]
    Back to the subject at hand, what about light sticks? Just like the simple green snap sticks you pop and throw on the ground. That has to be the EASIEST solution to lighting there is to make ni any game, plus its similar to flares, but no worries about smoke effects and they won't completely give away everything in the dark areas, just help a little bit. Like flashlights, they help some but not completely... Glowsticks. That's my vote!
    [/quote]

A sticky light ball is like a lightstick but much better. Having a stick u throw on the ground is just boring, this is the future damnit !
  • DominingDomining Join Date: 2007-09-27 Member: 62452Members
    Only if those balls provided a scan as soon as they came into contact with something, that would be bad ass.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    I think with all the flare talk, this is defenetly one of the better flare ideas, although how big would it be? Size of a base ball/tennis ball? Only reason I'm wondering is, it would be kind of awkward to carry that kind of thing around unless it was in some sort of bag.

And for those who have played Half-life Ep1, the flares in there defenetly did the job even though they were just things you could pick up and throw around, the effect of a burning flare, I think, fits the NS world much better than a glowy tube or ball.
  • MindmeldmeMindmeldme The Evil One Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1637Members
    I really like the idea but I am back and forth on it. Now it is the future so a simple pack of liquids that you can slosh around and then bust by throwing and lighting up an area for a time has real merit to me. The idea of going into a dark area and you don't have night vision or infrared or what have you and you need normal light, be it blue or red or whatever it could be. Now yea sure you need to work out how you carry it without it being stuck to you and all that but otherwise I don't think your going to see a lot of exploting with it, trying to toss it onto a fade your busy trying to shoot. Pinging I am not sure about, you would need some sort of explination unless you are assuming it is somehow tied into an obs for a ping request which could really cut down on commander mirco management. Assume it cost say 1-5 energy and it's very brief, could really at to things.

Normal flares are great, simple, get the job done. Very low tech and consistant, break and toss done. Now on the cost end this is cheap and it makes sense from the operational side, no mess, no fuss, easy and quick.

However I have to go with this is sci fi and the future and hell, add something to things, why not. Of course if you could just wield the lights on and your usually in doors with lights, where would you use them?
    edited September 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1653052:date=Sep 30 2007, 08:24 PM:name=Mindmeldme)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mindmeldme @ Sep 30 2007, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1653052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now it is the future so a simple pack of liquids that you can slosh around and then bust by throwing and lighting up an area for a time<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hey that gave me an idea. how about instead of the ball being sticky, its just a squishy ball like a water baloon and when you throw it, it bursts and the glowing liquid goes all over the wall lighting up the place.
    then if marines or aliens walk through the liquid it sticks to them and leaves footprints and you can see it glowing on their feet. if a cloaked alien walks through it the marines would see these glowing dots moving around. so if your cloaked you need to avoid this stuff. it would not do the scan thing either.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1653058:date=Sep 30 2007, 07:52 AM:name=The_Disposed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The_Disposed @ Sep 30 2007, 07:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1653058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hey that gave me an idea. how about instead of the ball being sticky, its just a squishy ball like a water baloon and when you throw it, it bursts and the glowing liquid goes all over the wall lighting up the place.
    then if marines or aliens walk through the liquid it sticks to them and leaves footprints and you can see it glowing on their feet. if a cloaked alien walks through it the marines would see these glowing dots moving around. so if your cloaked you need to avoid this stuff. it would not do the scan thing either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

damn ###### hey i like that. but the liquid on contact with air or lack of bagged / caned presure needs to foam up like that space invader gap sealer ###### or shaveing cream. basicly as the idea is now puddle of it wouldnt do good, unless it hit the target, and as sulk feet dont penatrate the ground enough.

but if it foams up its will coat more of the spike feet, and or a direct hit will give the sulk that toxic rabies foaming at the mouth kind of apeal, WHAT it could be the kind of apeal missing from ns so far. *note that i am not saying any apeal is missing from it or its is lacking.

question will this trace grenade seep or drip down and run thru textures with alpha, like say grilling or will it look like a random puddle or late 12 year old engine sprite?
    Mayby it could be foam stuff that grows a bit like infestation.
  • MindmeldmeMindmeldme The Evil One Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1637Members
    See I was thinking that would be another option in my original post. If you had a ball filled with liquid that glowed whatever color it would be something. However how bright would it be once it is dispelled about the ground and the area? How long will it glow on the area or enemies it hits? Would it do any damage or have any lasting effects. Now personally I figured if it broke and went all over it would be much less light then a ball on a wall or something. Especially where it hit. Now if it hit the cieling and it was dripping down that would be cool looking and you are likely to coat anything walking through the area pretty good. I imagine the look on a fade that was cloaked would be very impressive over all with blue or white light sploches on it as it walked.

Regardless those are some questions to decide how best to implement it. I think either way it would be useful and a good idea.