Make marines talk when voice is used

Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">uber pwnage if you guys do this</div>Who wouldn't want this, seriously. Even if it looks tacky, it will be an awesome gimmick.

Oh, and if you can make alien laughs for each type, that would awesome (I want an onos going roar roar hehe).

Comments

• PikminwarsPikminwars Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58468Members
    I don't understand...
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2007
    I believe he's asking that marines\aliens mouths move when using voicecomm, or when using the pre-recorded voice binds. I'd imagine this would utilize the facial animation tech in the source engine. IIRC, there are models out there that support this for the current engine, but it was a pretty cheesy effect (mouth just opened and closed like half-life 1 scientists).

At the very least I think it would be interesting to have pre-recorded facial animations\mouth movements for all the different voice recordings for the marines. Aliens on the other hand, could probably just sneer or something.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Cheesy? Perhaps, but I still like it when I see a model using their mouth when voice commands/mic is active.

I vote yes, despite other things are more important.
  • MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    I don't know whether this would be a 'wise' use of limited resources--both developmental and CPU/video card load.

I think it would be of negligible 'immersion' benefit, while it would increase possible loading times and loads on the cpu and video card. As it would be nice to have in an ideal setting, game development is rarely ideal. Not to mention my personal opinion of 'uh, that would be stupid looking and not needed for a game w/ such a small development team.'

I think the time would be better suited to include an ability to display some sort of very small image or icon (16x16 or something along those lines)on the back/front of each individual person's helmet or vest/chest.
  • KaineKaine Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1096Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1645190:date=Aug 23 2007, 07:44 AM:name=MasterPTG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MasterPTG @ Aug 23 2007, 07:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1645190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know whether this would be a 'wise' use of limited resources--both developmental and CPU/video card load.

I think it would be of negligible 'immersion' benefit, while it would increase possible loading times and loads on the cpu and video card. As it would be nice to have in an ideal setting, game development is rarely ideal. Not to mention my personal opinion of 'uh, that would be stupid looking and not needed for a game w/ such a small development team.'

I think the time would be better suited to include an ability to display some sort of very small image or icon (16x16 or something along those lines)on the back/front of each individual person's helmet or vest/chest.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was included in the original release of Front Line Force- way back in the day, along with blinking eyes and breath puffs on snow maps. It was the first time i'd ever seen this feature and it really was a great touch. The fact that it was a feature in a pretty slick and clean HL1 mod says a lot about how little system resources it requires. It really does add to the game experience imho. It's not like they're on a tight triangle budget. It just means a slightly more complex facial mesh, an extra joint in the animation skeleton and a few lines of code. It doesn't even need animations per-se, it's just done by rotating the mouth joint relative to the db level of the sound. Doesn't even take up any bandwidth, can all be done client side by parsing the existing voice-comm data.