What happened to this game? / community?

super_dave31super_dave31 Join Date: 2004-06-27 Member: 29581Members
Hi everyone

I just wana know....... around - i think - it was 2003/ 2004 i used to love this game - and i think at the time it was the 3rd most popular half life mod

The days of staying in on a friday night to play NS (sounds so sad lol, but back in the day it was fun!)

So many players, lots of servers and everything else! - what the hell happened!! where did it all go? / go wrong??

The game now on the stats is played less than even TFC - and that is saying something! (i love tfc but hardly anyone plays it nowadays)

The whole marines / aliens - having a commander high above and everything else, even the cool graphics and the funny marine radio calls - hows it become so small all of a sudden? And - by looking at this site i guess they are bringing out another version??

At a guess, i know its such a small thing - but is the massive drop off anything to do with the fact that, to get the game to appear in your steam list, is a bit of a pain?? (such a small thing but could that affect it?)

Thanks for the help

Comments

• KainTSAKainTSA Join Date: 2005-05-30 Member: 52831Members, Constellation
    There's been a ton of threads debating the cause for NS's player decline. Some people like to blame specific changes, but I think its just a matter of time. NS has already had a very good long run for what it is. There are still some very active servers and the forums have a decent amount of traffic so all hope is not lost.

Yes, they are making NS2. Check the NS2 general discussion boards for an FAQ and developer blogs. Its looking really sweet already and the video of their new "dynamic infestation" created quite a lot of buzz among non-NSers.
  • kormendikormendi Join Date: 2003-05-26 Member: 16726Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    A huge factor is that the game is fairly ancient as far as online gaming goes. People leave for the next big thing, or they simply get bored. Don't let the relatively low player count get you thinking there aren't good rounds left to be played.

There have been plenty of other reasons given by others, but I'll leave you to read those for yourself.
  • SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
    CO is stupid with those level 50 xmenu whatevers, that gives aliens the mid-late game edge.

NS mode can be fun, except when you have those stacked games where one player happens to kill 5 skulks at once, locks middle hive and then the games already over, which happens often.

There are good games of NS, but you have to play through stupid CO and lame stacked matches.
  • Splinter_SteveSplinter_Steve Join Date: 2005-03-20 Member: 45881Members
    Failed leadership at every conceivable community level and an old game.
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    edited May 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1629258:date=May 25 2007, 01:37 PM:name=SmoodCroozn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmoodCroozn @ May 25 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]1629258[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CO is stupid with those level 50 xmenu whatevers, that gives aliens the mid-late game edge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*chuckle*

<i><!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Learn to understand what constitutes an attack - woopsies, I got a timeout for bad behaviour
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></i>
  • SnipeStarSnipeStar Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10341Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1629246:date=May 25 2007, 01:34 PM:name=super_dave31)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(super_dave31 @ May 25 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1629246[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    At a guess, i know its such a small thing - but is the massive drop off anything to do with the fact that, to get the game to appear in your steam list, is a bit of a pain?? (such a small thing but could that affect it?)
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->what are you talking about... NS has never had a problem showing up in steam....
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2007
    Electrically powered pleasure rods (dild... is obscene!?).
    Just made me chuckle when he made the comment that 50levels xmenu gives aliens the edge in combat, when anybody with half a brain realises that aliens are like ROFL-overpowered in combat.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    This thread is so lockworthy. He obviously never searched the forums before posting. <3
  • TalisTalis Join Date: 2005-01-21 Member: 36519Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--> what are you talking about... NS has never had a problem showing up in steam.... <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    SnipeStar, he probably meant that ns isnt shown in my games list as "not installed" like cs, dod, tfc ect...
    I recall that charlie was trying to get valve to put it up there, but they refused.
    <!--quoteo(post=1629364:date=May 26 2007, 11:14 AM:name=Talis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talis @ May 26 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]1629364[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I recall that charlie was trying to get valve to put it up there, but they refused.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correct. Let's face it, there's nothing in it for them. Gogo capitalist society :/
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1629364:date=May 26 2007, 12:14 PM:name=Talis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talis @ May 26 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]1629364[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SnipeStar, he probably meant that ns isnt shown in my games list as "not installed" like cs, dod, tfc ect...
    I recall that charlie was trying to get valve to put it up there, but they refused.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Valve didn't refuse. They were interested, it just never happened.
    <!--quoteo(post=1629375:date=May 26 2007, 12:27 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max @ May 26 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]1629375[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Valve didn't refuse. They were interested, it just never happened.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did they mention why? Exactly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1629364:date=May 26 2007, 12:14 PM:name=Talis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talis @ May 26 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]1629364[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    SnipeStar, he probably meant that ns isnt shown in my games list as "not installed" like cs, dod, tfc ect...
    I recall that charlie was trying to get valve to put it up there, but they refused. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->oh ok i see what he meant

i thought he meant that once installed it wasnt showing up on the steam my games list. but anyway, why does that matter-- pretty much all 3rd party HL mods are the exact same way. until NS becomes officially supported/taken over (lol) by valve, why would they put that there over any of the other mods?
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1629375:date=May 26 2007, 01:27 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max @ May 26 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]1629375[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Valve didn't refuse. They were interested, it just never happened.

Last I heard about it, Valve refused because they didn't want to continue promoting Half-life 1 mods with all the source stuff coming out.
  • HassaanHassaan Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 33976Members
    That is true the great Zunni told me
    its a shame, because HL1 mods are still some of the best games out there, and i dont see them going away any time soon
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1629415:date=May 26 2007, 10:17 PM:name=Hassaan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hassaan @ May 26 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]1629415[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    That is true the great Zunni told me

Either you misunderstood Zunni, or Zunni was mistaken. I would point out that Zunni wasn't involved in those discussions and is thereforepassing on second hand info himself, but I think the more likely explanation is that you are misrepresenting what Zunni said.

We're not going to discuss the details of what transpired, but all I will say is valve have not done anything to offend us in all the dealings we have had with them. They have been extremely supportive and open with us about many issues and being very close to those discussions I have to say that I completely respect their position on distribution over Steam.

I'm going to lock this topic now as it has been derailed from the beginning. If the original topic poster wants to restart the discussion we'll ensure it remains on topic.
This discussion has been closed.