FRIEND OF MINE NEEDS HELP!

Spawn_of_Chaos97Spawn_of_Chaos97 Join Date: 2006-11-21 Member: 58694Members
edited May 2007 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">This was posted on the SA forums</div><!--QuoteBegin-"DirrrtyDog on the SA forums"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("DirrrtyDog on the SA forums")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Good day people.

This is but a humble request from a father reaching out to the world. I know that a lot of you don't know me, which is why I will write out this message as explicit as possible.

<b>Who am I?</b>
I'm a 32 years old father who's working as a shipper in a stainless steel warehouse. I've had a son 9 years ago with a woman (obviously) who currently has custody of my son. In 2002, there was a Canadian Superior Court ruling granting custody of my son to his mother, not because I was not fit to have him with me, not because I am an abusive father, but for multiple reasons such as the schedule I had at the time, which would have prevented me from taking care of my son at night. This was the reason that I did not fight the ruling.

That ruling specified that I had to pay alimony (340$/month) to my son's mother FOR my son, which I always have, granting me access rights of 3 week-ends out of 4 (72 days out of the year - not including friday nights) and one week during the summer, plus any other day(s) upon both parties agreeing.

5 years later (today), I received a notice from the court that I am to appear to have this judgement revised, for less access rights (2 week-ends out of 4 - for a total of 48 days in the year not including friday nights), and more money out of my pocket for alimony. I can't accept this, so I am fighting back. I am trying for full custody of my son.

<b>In the last 5 years:</b>
My son has told me many things about what happens at home, and I have witnessed many myself. One of the things that my son told me is that his mother has had to call the police twice on her boyfriend, once while being locked up in the bathroom with my son and her other 2 kids. Another time, my son called me sayong that her boyfriend didn't want him at his place on week-ends. A few minutes after that call, his mother called me, asking me to go and pick up my son because he (the boyfriend) was going to send my son by cab to where she was working. When I got there to pick up my son (one very rainy and cold afternoon of october 2005), my son was standing in the rain in shorts, t-shirt and sandals. I learned that week-end that the man she is seeing is depressive and takes medication to control this. Obviously, something was wrong that day.

<b>In the last week</b>
I have taken steps to get custody of my son, and in my lawyer's best estimates, it will cost me about 5000$ in legal fees, and this does not even guarantee that I will get custody. Amongst the steps that I will have to take to hopefully win my case, I will have to get a full psychological analisys of myself, my girlfriend, my son's mother and her boyfriend AND my son. This step alone, will be costing me at least 2400$ (which is the cheapest that I have found after calling about 20 psychologists). I have missed 4 days of work to get this "attack" set up, and thankfully, my employer will be paying me those days, but I just do not see how I can afford this.

I am humbly asking to whoever this story has touched, to whoever has been moved the slightest bit by what you have read to please, please donate whatever little money you can spare.

Please go to this link and click the donate button!
<a href="http://www.dirrrtydog.com" target="_blank">www.dirrrtydog.com</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Help him out willyer!

Edit:

<a href="http://www.server-admins.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=511" target="_blank">Link to the original thread (can't believe I forgot to do this...)</a>

Comments

• MerkabaMerkaba Digital Harmony Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 22Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    I would help out if I felt I were in a position to do so...one of my friends had problems similar to this and despite a court battle lost custody of her children. I can't help at this time though, and that website address gives me a 403 'forbidden' response besides!

I wish all the best in this endeavor nonetheless.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    ... He couldn't get a $5000 loan?
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    I feel bad for him. I don't feel like giving money to somebody I don't know on the internet though.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    There's a difference between asking for donations on the internet and putting yourself 5k in the hole by taking a personal loan which usually have killer interest rates.

Now that I'm earning a (somewhat) disposable income I'd consider donating to this guy. That is I would if I hadn't spent over a thousand bucks doing maintenance on my car last week. -.-

--Scythe--
  • TyrainTyrain Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11746Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1626407:date=May 13 2007, 04:15 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scythe @ May 13 2007, 04:15 AM) [snapback]1626407[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    There's a difference between asking for donations on the internet and putting yourself 5k in the hole by taking a personal loan which usually have killer interest rates.

Now that I'm earning a (somewhat) disposable income I'd consider donating to this guy. That is I would if I hadn't spent over a thousand bucks doing maintenance on my car last week. -.-

--Scythe--
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here, also, tax incombing... gotta let go of another 2000€ in a week or so -.-
  • SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
    Dirtydog.com definitely matches with the story.
    <!--quoteo(post=1626538:date=May 13 2007, 08:03 PM:name=SmoodCroozn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmoodCroozn @ May 13 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]1626538[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Dirtydog.com definitely matches with the story.

"*** Due to the national shortage of crumpet rings, our production facility is producing a limited production run of restaurant grade rings. more.... *****"
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    This guy could be a hustler, we have no guarentees. If the story is somewhat legitimate, it's still only his side of the story.
  • Private_ColemanPrivate_Coleman PhD in Video Games Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7510Members
    edited May 2007
    Requesting a link to the thread on the SA forums

also am I the only one who gets a 403 when trying to go to his site?
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1626788:date=May 14 2007, 11:11 PM:name=Private_Coleman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Private_Coleman @ May 14 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]1626788[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

neg i get it too

it r borked
  • Spawn_of_Chaos97Spawn_of_Chaos97 Join Date: 2006-11-21 Member: 58694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1626788:date=May 14 2007, 08:11 PM:name=Private_Coleman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Private_Coleman @ May 14 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]1626788[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<a href="http://www.server-admins.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=511" target="_blank">Here ya go.</a>

<!--quoteo(post=1626788:date=May 14 2007, 08:11 PM:name=Private_Coleman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Private_Coleman @ May 14 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]1626788[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Huh...so am I now too...weeeeeiiiirrrrd...

Note: Another member on the SA forums asked the poster the same thing, no response yet though it is a new post (Saturday May 12th).
  • Private_ColemanPrivate_Coleman PhD in Video Games Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7510Members
    SA != Something Awful?

D:

Either way I will not donate any money to some chump off the internet I don't even know based upon his story alone.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    You should have clarified that SA != Something Awful. That's kind of a major point of relevancy... Why should people from the NS community help some guy OP on a huge site like Something Awful? A small NS splinter community makes alot more sense.

If Katie is dropping in a couple bucks then it's legit IMO. Someone Katie considers a friend I consider a worthy cause. I wish I had some disposable income so I could chip in. I'm in dept up to my ears because of school right now.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    My assessment: this is a scam.
  • MoquiaoMoquiao Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16168Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1627077:date=May 16 2007, 11:59 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(puzl @ May 16 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]1627077[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    My assessment: this is a scam.

call me an idiot, but ya know, i like to believe there is some decency left in the world, true, it could be a scam, but he seems to be a trusted player amongst his peers, to the point where they come here on his behalf to post... i'll send a few bucks his way..

Good luck dude
    It's still only one side of the story no matter who this guy is or how many friends he has. As much as I would like to help someone in that sort of situation, throwing some power to someone based upon some text they've written on a page asking for money is something I'm not willing to do. Bad luck guy, and if you actually are in a bad place right now I wish you all the best.
  • ZydecoZydeco Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43794Members, NS1 Playtester
    It's cool to read stuff at SA, and things there are automaticaly funny. So you should all donate on that fact alone.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1627082:date=May 16 2007, 12:22 PM:name=Moquiao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moquiao @ May 16 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]1627082[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    call me an idiot, but ya know, i like to believe there is some decency left in the world

I don't think I am an idiot, but I KNOW there is plenty of decency left in the world. I benefit from other people's generosity and kindness on a daily basis, and I like to think I reciprocate it.

But I'll remain sceptical about anyone, no matter how trusted he appears to be, when they are asking for money online. The central requirement on any scam is to win confidence first, so the fact that you are taking other people's word that this guy is trustworthy would be something I'd reflect on if I were you.
    <!--quoteo(post=1627075:date=May 16 2007, 06:56 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swiftspear @ May 16 2007, 06:56 AM) [snapback]1627075[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    You should have clarified that SA != Something Awful. That's kind of a major point of relevancy... Why should people from the NS community help some guy OP on a huge site like Something Awful? A small NS splinter community makes alot more sense.

This. Something Awful pretty much has the monopoly on the acronym SA in regards to the internet.
    edited May 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1627127:date=May 16 2007, 11:57 AM:name=Zydeco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zydeco @ May 16 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]1627127[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    It's cool to read stuff at SA, and things there are automaticaly funny. So you should all donate on that fact alone.

I wanted to see how a thread like that could possibly survive. There is no way I would donate, no matter what forum it was on.
    SA = ServerAdmins in this case.

Something Awful? Never heard of that one...though it does fit the happening lol...
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1627279:date=May 16 2007, 09:04 PM:name=Spawn_of_Chaos97)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spawn_of_Chaos97 @ May 16 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]1627279[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    SA = ServerAdmins in this case.

Something Awful? Never heard of that one...though it does fit the happening lol...

You've never heard of Something Awful but you expect us to somehow know that "SA" refers to some obscure community of people that we would only <i>conceivably</i> belong to if we actually ran our own servers, something that a tiny tiny fraction of the population does? That is a method of thinking I do not believe I will ever fully grasp, buddy.
    I didn't really expect you guys to know of any other NS-oriented SA simply becuase I didn't know of any. I've been playing since about version 1.04 and have never heard of the Something Awful or whatever it is.
    <!--quoteo(post=1627452:date=May 17 2007, 11:31 PM:name=Spawn_of_Chaos97)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spawn_of_Chaos97 @ May 17 2007, 11:31 PM) [snapback]1627452[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I didn't really expect you guys to know of any other NS-oriented SA simply becuase I didn't know of any. I've been playing since about version 1.04 and have never heard of the Something Awful or whatever it is.

It's a forum where you pay ten dollars to talk about the internet, and stuff
  • ubermenschubermensch Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11692Banned
    he needs to destroy his ex wife

i always wondered how people forced to pay alimony don't just murder their lecherous former S.O.

aside: in some cases, like this one where she is in control of the son, i can understand the weekly fees and if i were the father i could easily justify paying them: it's like paying to have someone else take care of the kid who the father doesn't want anyway. this doesn't apply here though, it seems he actually cares about him.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1627507:date=May 18 2007, 04:59 AM:name=ubermensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ubermensch @ May 18 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]1627507[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    he needs to destroy his ex wife

i always wondered how people forced to pay alimony don't just murder their lecherous former S.O.

aside: in some cases, like this one where she is in control of the son, i can understand the weekly fees and if i were the father i could easily justify paying them: it's like paying to have someone else take care of the kid who the father doesn't want anyway. this doesn't apply here though, it seems he actually cares about him.
    I always find child support stupid anyways, its easy to find another partner that can help raise a child, let alone get a job to do it yourself.
    <!--quoteo(post=1627888:date=May 19 2007, 09:13 PM:name=Drfuzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drfuzzy @ May 19 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]1627888[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I always find child support stupid anyways, its easy to find another partner that can help raise a child, let alone get a job to do it yourself.

Of-course, because guys are just DYING to get married to a women who already has a child! It's also super easy for a women to care for a child by herself while keeping a full-time job!
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    Then maybe she shouldn't have had the kid.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    MAYBE IF SHE HAD STAYED CHRISTIAN THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPEND.

The internet isn't the place the ask for this kind og generosity. Scam or no scam. 'Course scams are plenty.
    I feel bad for the poor fella though, Iam sorry that he and the kid(s) have been victimized.
  • DirrrtyDog[SA]DirrrtyDog[SA] Join Date: 2007-09-04 Member: 62162Members, Constellation
    Good day people.

I hate to resurrect a thread that has been inactive for quite some time now, but I have just stumbled upon it, and felt like I needed to clarify a few things.

The first thing I need to set straight is the fact that this was not a scam. I was going through court to get custody of my son, and it didn't go in my favor. I will get into the details if I am asked to, other wise I will leave it be.

The second thing, is the fact that [SA] is a team that has been active in the TFC community to begin with, then moved on to NS when it came out. The reputation that [SA] has built by either scrimming in friendly matches (never any league play on the NS side of things) is as good as any other team that has been, is, or will be in the future. Please do not compare this SomethingAwful with ServerAdmins.

Thirdly, Spawn Of Chaos... When he connects to TheSandbox servers, he often wears the tag of "Friend of SA" in front of his name. I don't like the fact that he does, but I guess some people like him, "tolerate" him at best, and after all, it is a free country. Fact is, he did post my original message from server-admins.com and formerly dirrrtydog.com (killed that site, as it was temporary only), but completely failed to let me know he did... I like getting involved in conversations that my name is used in. You shouldn't have done that without asking me, or at least letting me know you were.

Lastly, I saw that at least one of you's decided to send money my way. If you did, thank you. I honestly did not notice any payments into the paypal account other than 3 that I had named in my forums when I started the site.

This was my 2 cents, and am open to replies.