Student suspended for creating CS level

2»

Comments

• CallMessiahCallMessiah Join Date: 2002-06-24 Member: 813Members
    When I was still in school in Germany we had a whole week off where teachers and students organised special activities; everything, but learning. While we used the time to take our pen & paper group to school, some played sports or painted the school.

There was one group right next to our room, though, which had probably ten people with their PCs in a LAN, all mapping our school in Hammer (was still called Worldcraft back then).
    I even did a map for my art class, where we had to build a 3D model of a house. I didn't feel like doing it with styrofoam and our teacher was into computers, so I got the go ahead and got an A...
    And then there's still poke646, the HL mod, made by an arts student for as his thesis (texture work and all that).

That's how it was in Germany a few years ago. No things are starting to get out off hand here as well with more ridiculous ideas for new laws popping up every month, especially in Bavaria.
  • ZeroByteZeroByte Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3057Members
    <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71576-Another-High-School-Student-Arrested" target="_blank">http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...tudent-Arrested</a>

Urge... to kill.. rising.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Bavaria isn't really Germany though. They're weird.

Oh and to quote Zerobyte's link:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Northport High School maintains it had no way of knowing whether Timmering's writing was creative expression, or an actual plan to commit mass murder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like "guilty until proven innocent" to me.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1626064:date=May 10 2007, 09:31 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ May 10 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]1626064[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Bavaria isn't really Germany though. They're weird.

Oh and to quote Zerobyte's link:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Northport High School maintains it had no way of knowing whether Timmering's writing was creative expression, or an actual plan to commit mass murder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds like "guilty until proven innocent" to me.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find it hilarious that they consider each of them as likely as the other.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited May 2007
    I don't understand how anything that looks remotely like a game design document could be mistaken for a plan of attack... And why the ###### don't they just put people who they are concerned about being a risk of attack into psych counseling for assessment? For the love of God, why are they suspicious that someone may attack them because they have this vaguely plausible risk factor, and not evaluating weather they share the common factors every single school shooter has had so far, depression and rage syndrome's. If someone isn't depressed and irrationally rageful they aren't going to shoot up a school, no matter how many CS maps and FPS games they have designed of it.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1626068:date=May 10 2007, 05:03 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swiftspear @ May 10 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1626068[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I don't understand how anything that looks remotely like a game design document could be mistaken for a plan of attack... And why the ###### don't they just put people who they are concerned about being a risk of attack into psych counseling for assessment? For the love of God, why are they suspicious that someone may attack them because they have this vaguely plausible risk factor, and not evaluating weather they share the common factors every single school shooter has had so far, depression and rage syndrome's. If someone isn't depressed and irrationally rageful they aren't going to shoot up a school, no matter how many CS maps and FPS games they have designed of it.

Well, see, that's because you play video games. Saying that somebody who has probably never played a video game in their life should be able to recognize a "game design document" is incredibly shortsited, and to be honest, idiotic. Also, people should be aware that, other people are stupid and paranoid. It's obvious. Maybe you should just refrain from having a conversation that could be misconstrued as something other then it is.

Ontop of that, none of us have, or are going to get to see what he was writing/drawing. All we have to judge this case on is the severly one-sidedness of the news story.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1626111:date=May 11 2007, 01:11 AM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xyth @ May 11 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]1626111[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Well, see, that's because you play video games. Saying that somebody who has probably never played a video game in their life should be able to recognize a "game design document" is incredibly shortsited, and to be honest, idiotic. Also, people should be aware that, other people are stupid and paranoid. It's obvious. Maybe you should just refrain from having a conversation that could be misconstrued as something other then it is.

Ontop of that, none of us have, or are going to get to see what he was writing/drawing. All we have to judge this case on is the severly one-sidedness of the news story.

Don't they have to release it for free if it's ever used as an exhibit in court?

Man, if it's a decent game design..... that kid is gonna be ###### that the world gets to see it all for free.

Then he'd sue the school.