I would just like to say...

GhrimmGhrimm Join Date: 2004-04-30 Member: 28330Members
I have played a lot of games on steam for HL1 since it came out, and the greatest thing about it, is that they are FREE. All the new mods that come out on steam for HL2 require you to pay for it, which is the biggest crock of ish i have ever seen. You can say its a standalone game, but it does require the HL2 engine and its really nothing but a mod. I for one have played and loved NS since beta 3 first started about 5 or so years ago, i would have never started playing this game if i had to pay for it, nor will i pay for any HL2 mod. I have CSS and DOD:S because they came with the silver package when HL2 came out.

Dont get me wrong, i understand why, everybody needs money and everything costs money, im just not the kind of person who pays for something that was modded.

Comments

• RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    There's a lot I could say to this in response, but I'll try to keep it short. Yes, some source mods are charging money to play, and I wont argue that point, however it should be clear that NS2 is not a mod.

UWE has licensed the Source engine, and have access to all of the source code, not just the sdk for modders. By calling NS2 a Source mod, you are also saying that Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a Quake 3 mod, and that Quake 4 was a Doom 3 mod.
  • wankalotwankalot Join Date: 2005-02-05 Member: 39872Members
    yes NS2 will be stand alone... its just borrowing source technology. It may sound like there isnt a difference but there is

Take company of heros, an awesome ww2 rts. It uses the havoc engine, as many steam games do. differenet games borrow each others technology now, thats why so many games are churned out now because devs dont have to recreate an engine from scratch everytime a game is released.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Like Revenge said, there's a huge difference between a mod and a game. First and foremost, a game needs to pay money to license the engine, which a mod doesn't. That alone means they've got to get money from somewhere to make NS2, even if they were somehow magically able to do it without getting paid. Frankly, a Source engine game (or even a mod) is a lot more work than a HL1 mod; higher quality art assets and stuff require a lot more work. It's much harder to do it for free.
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1622881:date=Apr 24 2007, 09:10 PM:name=wankalot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wankalot @ Apr 24 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1622881[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    yes NS2 will be stand alone... its just borrowing source technology. It may sound like there isnt a difference but there is
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree. They aren't borrowing anything, they have a fully licensed engine to enhance at their hearts content. As powerful as the SDK is, it is nothing compared to working with raw code.
  • sawcesawce Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10787Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1622858:date=Apr 24 2007, 08:55 PM:name=Ghrimm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghrimm @ Apr 24 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]1622858[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    You can say its a standalone game, but it does require the HL2 engine and its really nothing but a mod.

So, I guess Half-Life must be a Quake mod then? :\
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    edited April 2007
    It's been said. We're using a licensed copy of the source engine to achieve such awesome things such as dynamic infestation, and we (literally) cannot afford to do that without charging money for the game. We're aiming to achieve much more than is possible with an unfunded team of people working in their spare time.

So really, I think you're just misinformed. Calling NS2 a mod is a stretch. It is a mod only in the same sense that HL1 was a modification of Quake (as sawce mentioned), because we're using a licensed and heavily modified version of the source engine, and not much else.

From Wikipedia:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Half-Life, often abbreviated as HL or HL1, is a sci-fi first-person shooter computer game developed by Valve Software, first released by Sierra Studios on November 19, 1998. Designed for PCs running Microsoft Windows, the game uses a <b>heavily modified version of the Quake engine, called GoldSrc.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So, given that, if you paid for HL1, you shouldn't have a problem paying for NS2 (especially given how cheap it will be)!
  • WarriorWarrior Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13624Members
    You dont need Hl2 to play NS2...So therefore its not a mod.
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1622858:date=Apr 25 2007, 02:55 AM:name=Ghrimm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghrimm @ Apr 25 2007, 02:55 AM) [snapback]1622858[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I have played a lot of games on steam for HL1 since it came out, and the greatest thing about it, is that they are FREE. All the new mods that come out on steam for HL2 require you to pay for it, which is the biggest crock of ish i have ever seen. You can say its a standalone game, but it does require the HL2 engine and its really nothing but a mod. I for one have played and loved NS since beta 3 first started about 5 or so years ago, i would have never started playing this game if i had to pay for it, nor will i pay for any HL2 mod. I have CSS and DOD:S because they came with the silver package when HL2 came out.

Dont get me wrong, i understand why, everybody needs money and everything costs money, im just not the kind of person who pays for something that was modded.

So every single commercial game that's licensed another engine is a mod?

Is everything that uses direct x a mod? Where do you draw this imaginary line of yours?

Using a 3rd party engine is similar to using an existing graphics API. It's quicker to get things up and running, allowing the developers to focus on the gameplay, more the than technical crap. Your post just seems extremely ignorant and narrow minded.

Even if it were a "just a mod" I fail to see why you'd have a problem paying for it if it was something you enjoy playing. Strange...
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    I think the points have been made.

(I vote for closing topic)
  • vortex999vortex999 Join Date: 2007-01-06 Member: 59457Members
    edited April 2007
    I do believe that the devs deserve to be paid, indeed i know that programming is incredibly difficult and i suggest paying $10 for it. I live in South Africa and cannot afford the incredibly large cost we are charged here which is about $58 per game, which ridiculously unfair. make a poll saying how much should it cost (realistically). Yes i know those are full games but i saw online you can buy HL2 for $15, that means in SA you pay about four times the US. not complaining about that now but as i said pls make it around $10 or so
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    vortex999 - the FAQ will answer your question.

Locked!
This discussion has been closed.