Cackling Sound

ZavrixZavrix Join Date: 2007-03-20 Member: 60424Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Yuck!</div>Whenever I get into a fairly big group of people, once everyone starts to fire their weapons the sound pretty much is drowned out. The sound disapears as pieces of LMG fire are traced into it, but otherwise the sound gets cracky when alot of weapons are being discharged. This never used to be too much of a problem but now its becoming a huge annoyance.

Comments

• the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    Three factors play in here:
    sound file amplitude/volume
    software
    hardware

If the sound is a high volume (loud gunshot for example) it fills most of the range of the speaker. If the software at the application level handles multiple sounds with a simple amptitude addition, then the result is that you are essentially red-lining and the tops of your waveforms are being capped. You then end up with a squared waveform which can sound like crackling.

It's also possible that you sound card is requesting data faster than the bus can deliver instead of synchonizing with it, the latency would sound like crackling. Hell even a short in your wiring could cause that.

Have you tried turning the volume down? (talking specifically about the game's volume control or the master volume control in Windows, assuming you are using Windows)

I really can't tell you more unless you are able to make a good recording capturing it.
  • ZavrixZavrix Join Date: 2007-03-20 Member: 60424Members
    I'll play with it and see what I can do.