Ideas and game Concepts: Dynamic infestation

waterbusterwaterbuster Join Date: 2006-12-17 Member: 59117Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Oh the ideas that come</div>

With the idea of the DI, so many possibilities open up. Creativity springs forth.

My first idea was similar to the Nydus Canal as seen in starcraft. This structure could build an opening at one end, and then tunnel through and create an exit on the targeted spot resulting in a tunnel.

This structure would be fragile. It could only be built on the DI, and resemble a pit in the ground. The basic idea is for it to be similar to a "phase gate" on the marine team. Much like nydus canal, it could have an opening and an exit. The entrance would be on the DI, but the exit would have to be a certain distance from the entrance itself. Like say 60 or 80 feet.

Or, the canal could create a DI-like "tunnel" in certain spots on the map. Built-in the map, I should say. Much like hive locations. Could work both-ways for aliens and marines.

The second Idea: Burrowing

The zerg could burrow. It allowed for scouting and/or surprise attacks on other races.

Same concept. A skulk/whatever small alien could burrow into a wall/soft surface. The "hole" would be extremely noticeable, except when on the DI. The hole would look like a small scar in the wall with some bacteria growth.

The third: DI command

The DI should be able to be molded. Gorges should have some sort of influence on it, or be given the ability to shape it.

Gorges could receive a green "build here" area, much like marines with dropping structures. You could select a certain area with this cursor, selecting a certain area and ordering the DI to focus on that point over time. (like writing your name on a giant wall in DI LOL)

Any comments?

Comments

• scaryfacescaryface Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9918Members
    The alien portal is pretty much <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=7397081331632363520&showtopic=99548&st=40#" target="_blank">what i suggested</a> in the topic requesting 'Portal'-like phasegates instead of the current phasegate (for marines).

I don't know about burrowing, but it may work if only on infestation. It doesn't really make sense in the NS universe since they are supposed to be on hard metal ships/satellites/colonies. I also don't want NS2 to become Starcraft: the FPS.

i think flayra already said that it would be a shame to not include some way to 'paint' with DI since it was such great fun. (something like that)
  • MisereMisere Join Date: 2004-03-28 Member: 27568Members
    Currently marines need the phase gates as they are slower than aliens. Giving the aliens phase gates (what ever you may call them) is a nice idea but I think it would be bad for NS or NS2 as currenly they own at getting around the map anyway.

Burrowing sounds cool but it would be simmilar to cloaking. If you knew where a burrowed alien was could you attack it?
  • Abaddon0Abaddon0 Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16169Members, Constellation
    remember we are still playing in space for the most part, tunneling in a space ship is not a good idea.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    They also already have MCs for fast teleport to hives.

I also doubt the DI will be thick enough to cover a skulk.
  • Axel_StoneAxel_Stone Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18993Members, Constellation
    Well if a map was engieneered for infestation... Doesnt it usually only cover one half of a hive? I see it with some ptotential if limited. Its something to not throw out, would add something intresting.