3 days later and only 7 3.2 beta 2 servers ?

2»

Comments

• ToughsoxToughsox Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34518Members, Constellation
    Puzl, I speak not as the Official voice for G4B2S, but as a Senior Admin.

For reasons I personally am not aware of, (I dont know coding info and tech stuff) we weree not using any version of NS Admin or Admin mod on our beta server.

What was happening was, all the little hacking kiddies came out....and it seemed all at the same time.
    Quite frankly, it was next to impossible to Admin the server other then to record what was happening, and then spam our 2 or 3 Admins that did have RCON access to it.

So from an Admin perspective, it was really rough on us.....and that translated to the server being run like the Wild West......everything and anything that you could think of went on. From spamming, hacking, and a total host of other serious, and non-serious things going on, the bulk of our Community members were totally disgusted at that time and simply chose not to visit that particular server.

As I said, not sure why we hadnt been running any Admin programs on it......but IMO, that hurt the particular beta process.

I will say though, our Community is speaking about the beta and I myself cant wait until it loses the 'beta' tag.

Great work on it all !!!
  • SyringedSyringed Join Date: 2003-04-17 Member: 15579Members, Constellation
    I am a former hardcore NS player but lately, NS just doesn't do anything for me anymore. Perhaps I'm burned out but everytime I fire it up to play it, I just get that "same old, same old." feeling and I get bored to tears. I'm not trying to be insultive to the current patch version or anything but I think the real problem is there's nothing to really look forward to in NS anymore and the timeline between when the forums first went down and when they finally came back up hurt the community more than people think. For quite a while there was a lot of people that didn't know these forums were back up which caused a lot of rumors to spread that NS was dead.

Part of the reason I haven't been able to really enjoy the new beta servers and the patch itself is no new content. One of the major things that gets me hyped up about a patch besides the fixes, maps, and clean ups is having shiny new weapons, a new team to play as, a new class to try out, new models, new vechiles, or modes. Last major thing NS added in my opinion was Combat which kept me hooked for a while until /menu and retarded server admins turned it into 60 minute unwinable slugfests for kill farming. NS pushed the HL1 engine to it's limits and there's nothing more I can really expect from the game until NS2 arrives. Hopefully by then, a new NS will be born where marines will have flamethrowers, vechiles, and all kinds of new gadgets and gizmos while the aliens will have new classes, attacks, chambers and more.
  • ACardboardSlothACardboardSloth Join Date: 2007-01-16 Member: 59647Members
    edited January 2007
    <!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->I don't think so - Digz<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • CrazyFoolCrazyFool Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27171Members
    well actually it has come to my attention that NS is dying at a rate never seen before. UW needs to do something quick because at this rate there won't be an bs2 servers at all. NSarmslab is going to shut down and that's probably the single most important community to NS.
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    I'm gonna take the crazy option of saying "NS is dying".
  • MrBananaManMrBananaMan Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42562Members
    its because of op hmg's and jp's.
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm sure this concern has been met by the community by this point.
This discussion has been closed.