holdable motion tracking

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
edited January 2007 in Ideas and Suggestions
lets facing it no matter how you try to balance motion tracking its either overpowered, cost too much, or gets researched to late in game to be as useful as it can be.

I think it would a lot more immersive and fun to have a motion tracking device which has a about a 120 deg cone of detection which would be held by a player- much like the way a welder works. it gets dropped and someone is incharge of using it correctly.

this player could also hold a pistol at the same time so they arent completely helpless.
it the motion tracking player is killed then the tracker is dropped. another player can pick it up or it will lie on the floor still detecting lifeforms that come within its cone of detection - until it gets destroyed and chewed.

seeing as this would mean that its a bit less powerful than motion tracking there could also be a smaller cone - such as 60deg which would also slowly uncloak aliens with in a 15 metre distance. (edit, if in the same room)
it would be cool looking at a wall or ceilling only to see a skulk materialise before it pounches, or it might even be overlooked.

the added gameplay benefit would be that the marines squad would need to try to keep the detector alive as it keeps them alive.

Comments

• ThorsMapperThorsMapper Join Date: 2006-12-19 Member: 59138Members
    But wouldn't that mean the commander dropping this device and costing res points again and again?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    yep. you'd need to find a res cost suitable.

Also i guess you'd need an OBS before you can drop one too
  • TalisTalis Join Date: 2005-01-21 Member: 36519Members, Constellation
    This sounds like a good idea
  • Lt_PatchLt_Patch Join Date: 2005-02-07 Member: 40286Members
    edited January 2007
    Please, can people use the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=706751549413231360&showtopic=99775" target="_blank">SEARCH</a> <a href="http://"http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=3516886196388754944&showtopic=97768" target="_blank">FUNCTION</a>.

Hell, those are both on the first page of I&S...
    First one is a small discussion of MT in NS2, and the second one is a discussion of it in NS1
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    Ewww. You cn't hold a gun while using this? I'd never use one. If I were the comm I'd just build more obs and start scanning more.
  • GreyFlcnGreyFlcn Join Date: 2006-12-19 Member: 59134Members, Constellation
    edited January 2007
    Well, it'd be interesting if they made it so that an obs upgraded with MT only has a limited range.
    Much like how the SC has a limited range.

Then make it so that you can upgrade the obs for motion tracking.
    However in order to cover the whole map, you'd need quite a lot of upgraded obs's.

Make it so that it's got a relatively quick timer.
    And that the res cost is the main barrier to upgrading.

_

That or, what has been mentioned in other threads is making it so that MT doesn't have the "circles" at all.
    And that it only displays aliens on the map.
    And that if they stop moving, or walk, that they don't appear on the map.

That way you can know "There's an alien in this room"
    But you wouldn't neccisarily know which corner he's hiding in.

With that, you'd probably keep the same 35 res cost, but make the timer much quicker.

_

It's really a matter of what aspect of MT is unbalanced. Tactical, or Strategic.