Alien Upgraded forms

Moving_Target0Moving_Target0 Join Date: 2006-12-21 Member: 59174Members
Hey....

I've been playing NS for quite some time, and since the forums were down, I never got to suggest this. But I think that this is a pretty cool idea, but I thought i'd see what the rest of the community thought...

Personally, I think that it would be cool for the lower alien forms (skulk, gorge, and lerk) to have upgraded forms that cost more resources, would require 3 hives in NS mode, (I don't know how many points in combat mode) but improve the form's abilities, etc...It would allow players that like lower forms to not die so fast against turrets and heavy marines.

So anyways, here were my suggestions...i'm open to number tweaking ideas, and ideas to change the suggestion in general...

Skulk - would become slightly larger with altered appearance. + 30 HP and + 10 armor, bite / parasite deal +5 damage, speed increased slightly. 60 resources.

Gorge - Builds slightly faster, slightly altered appearance. +5 spit damage, + 30 HP / armor, +10 bile bomb damage, and + .25 seconds hold per web. 65 resources.

Lerk - moves slightly faster in flight, slightly larger. Takes more energy to fly, but slightly faster regeneration of energy. Adds +40 HP / armor, and adds +5 damage to bite. Also, Primal scream / Umbra last for .5 seconds longer.

Also, the marines could get small weapon modifications to counter the upgrades to the aliens.

LMG - adds about 4 damage.

Shotgun - adds about .25 damage per bullet

HMG - adds the ability to shoot hand grenades, if researched / purchased.

Grenade launcher - adds +2 to clip size, and +10 damage.

Anyways, let me know what you think...it's just a few add-ons that would add some variety to NS, so people wouldn't always have to use the same forms / weapons.

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2006
    As I already suggested in another thread (new top tier alien), I'd like to see a reward for aliens surviving long enough as a lifeform and contributing to the teamplay.

The advanced version of a lifeform doesn't cost more res, but the player can/will evolve/advance to it, when enough "teamplay" points are gathered and he survived for a certain amount of time.

The advanced lifeform could have increased hp/armor, speed or adrenaline, not much though due to balance reasons.

Another texture for the model or variation in shaders should be enough to seperate both types of the same lifeform.

This would encourage new players to die less and contribute more to become an advanced lifeform.
  • ToboldTobold Join Date: 2003-06-16 Member: 17405Members
    No one will spend 60res on an 'upgraded' skulk, a fade is twice as strong and less resources.
    I also don't understand why the marines would get a boost as well? if you're giving both teams an upgrade, it won't change the gameplay, just complicate the balancing of the game.

I dislike this (and psykomans) ideas.
  • ScrapScrap Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 32953Members
    so how would it add a diffrence on the marine team? if the comm researches your +4 lmg damage upgrade it would apply to all....
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I think the story behind this is that the bacteria that the life forms are made of can continue to develop as long as the aline lives. i.e. the longer you stay alive the more advanced your bacteria becomes and the more upgrades you get (i.e. faster, more health etc)
  • Moving_Target0Moving_Target0 Join Date: 2006-12-21 Member: 59174Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1591842:date=Dec 24 2006, 06:20 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glimmerman @ Dec 24 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]1591842[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I think the story behind this is that the bacteria that the life forms are made of can continue to develop as long as the aline lives. i.e. the longer you stay alive the more advanced your bacteria becomes and the more upgrades you get (i.e. faster, more health etc)
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At least one person gets it...and this is different from new top tier aliens. It simply adds some power to low-level, existing forms. The marine upgrades are there not to 'further complicate', but to add more reasons to have the various weapons. Personally, I only see people use shotguns now. Especially with combat type maps. NS maps I see some people getting GLs for groups of buildings, but that's about it.

The reason a person would choose one of the upgrades in place of going fade is because you would have the ability to have a specialty as one form, and that form would stay strong enough to compete with the marines, regardless of the number of turrets or the increasing number of bullets sprayed at you.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    i think the best exsample of this is in our world now on earth yes ehre out side mostly

if nature gets left ot its own devices say like on small less touched islands, it goes crazy it grows out of contro land new evolutions evolve

did you know there a catipilar recently discovered on island of hawaii
    this catapilar hunts kills and sort of feeds like a spider, except its food source is snails, its a whole new evolution in this form of catapila

basicly it attacks a snail right scares it into its shell it then webs it there sticks it down climbs into its shell with it and eats it all up as it knows it has no where to escape, the weird part si this catapilla doesnt eat flora its a carnivarous snail eater

*shrugs,

prahaps if kharaa are left alone long enough to there own devices they should evolve

how ever they should get stronger and more adapt to killing the more the hunt and kill
  • Moving_Target0Moving_Target0 Join Date: 2006-12-21 Member: 59174Members
    Umm, not quite what I was thinking. I'm just saying it would be cool to add variety to NS so that people could use more of the forms / weapons according to preference.