Hindsight is 20/20

HarrowerHarrower Join Date: 2005-03-16 Member: 45478Members
I play NS way more than is healthy. Please understand that this post is not a rant against NS gameplay. It's intended as constructive criticism, take it with a large grain of salt.

=======================================

I want to point out some things that I don't like about NS, in hopes that NS2 will see these attributes of gameplay and improve on them. The main points are resource allocation/deallocation especially among aliens, map-specific gameplay redundancy, and user interface.

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Resource System___________________________</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

The main gripe I have with NS is primarily focused on gorges. They can be pushed to have an interesting life, but they don't come prepackaged with it. New players look at the gorge and say "I can have more fun without spending any res at all, then maybe I can go onos! (or at least lerk!)" So you end up with a lifeform that is <i>crucial</i> to gameplay being omitted from casual gamers because it's boring to them. Thus you end up with a situation of one node (at most), a few walker fades with one hive, ocs, and possibly dcs if you're really, really lucky.

On top of that, the resource collection system is a very good implementation of a game economy but follows the banjokazooienotesystemesque template of quantatative gameplay. I don't care how this is spun, it's inferior to qualatative advantage per node capped. Consider revising this (perhaps this is the work you're already doing with the mysterious nexus system) so that capping a node (controlling a map location, is really what it comes down to) grants you something specific to that node, rather than just "more of the same".

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Map Shortcomings___________________________</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

I enjoy many of the maps in NS, but I find that they are basically all very similar to one another. Instead of setting up complex machinery or hiding a proto lab at a strategic spot on the map, or setting any other number of esoteric map-specific objectives... you walk through a hall, cap a node, and walk through another hall, then rush a hive. Repeat.

This is good gameplay, but too much of a good thing, while good, is still too much of a thing. I suggest reconsidering the general structure of the maps to diversify the gameplay as well as being works of art (think hera 1 for the artistic quality I'm speaking of).
||
(On this note, I would consider a gamma lock, or a higher contrast between light and dark in some places, but this is off-topic, and only my opinion, so I digress.)

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>User Interface___________________________</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

It doesn't make sense to me to have two "move forward" buttons. +movement seeks to solve this in 3.2b1, but it is my opinion that a better fix for this issue should lean more toward key combinations such as half life's z jumping (long jump) or the existing lerk or jetpack flight implementation.

===============================

I hope this won't be taken offensively, as I am both grateful for, and consistently engaged by NS as a whole. I'm looking forward to NS2 and therefore putting in my 2 cents as food for thought to our devs.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• MrMakaveliMrMakaveli Join Date: 2004-05-06 Member: 28509Members
    I don't understand your user interface argument.

You want key-combinations to perform different tasks?
  • HarrowerHarrower Join Date: 2005-03-16 Member: 45478Members
    edited November 2006
    Like I said, it doesn't make sense to me to have two "move forward" buttons. It isn't that hard to devise a system where, say for example, crouching while pressing back causes the fade to blink. I haven't thought any movement systems through, so don't take that as my actual implementative argument, it's just an example.

The point is that key overloading requires a small sacrifice in general mobility for a huge gain in key simplicity and elegance, and that is a *very* good thing when you have as many different functions to perform quickly as ns requires.
  • MystiqqMystiqq Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11755Members
    I just want to say that even attempting to add "gamma lock", or whatever, is pointless waste of time. It has to be pretty awesome system if you manage to do, which is not going to happen, it but i would advice not to even bother...
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    You have interesting ideas, but I think they're a little misguided. Just because the Fade blink button or Skulk parasite require non-intuitive key pressing doesn't mean that replacing those commands with others will make them more intuitive. In fact, I'd argue that pressing backwards and crouch is LESS intuitive than switching weapons.
  • Sephiroth2kSephiroth2k Join Date: 2002-04-21 Member: 481Members, Constellation
    well, tbh, switching weapons is 1 key to switch, fire to select it, and fire to use it. Three keys at different times.
    Crouch and backwards could be two keys at one time. Which is better.
  • ChAtMaNChAtMaN Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20887Members
    Didnt your mummy ever teach you how to hud_fastswitch 1.
    And contrast between black and white is most likely going to happen in ns2, Map limitations are also related to engine as well, the mod does stretch the limits of the old hl1 engine to the max. I know its been some time since they have come up with something drasticly new, but wait till ns2
    <!--quoteo(post=1582508:date=Nov 30 2006, 07:36 PM:name=CEldin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CEldin @ Nov 30 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]1582508[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    You have interesting ideas, but I think they're a little misguided. Just because the Fade blink button or Skulk parasite require non-intuitive key pressing doesn't mean that replacing those commands with others will make them more intuitive. In fact, I'd argue that pressing backwards and crouch is LESS intuitive than switching weapons.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm arguing up there for elegant, over intuitive, control systems. Intuitive controls are summed-up in "wasd". If you want to be a killer fade (not you in particular, just anyone), then get off your ###### and learn the shortcut keys. Commander keys aren't completely intuitive either, especially when you get into binding structures to weapon slots, but people learn them for the sake of speed.

fastswitch to compensate for a clunky interface is a UI nightmare, and in my opinion, even the (very appreciated) +movement solution is more complicated than necessay, especially when you're designing an entire new game and all aspects are on the table.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    NS (1) HAS a gamma locking system. Problem is that it only works correctly if the player has the right video card, the right monitor, the right settings in windows and on the monitor, the right room lighting, and the stars happen to be in alignment. Providing a suggested gamma ramp that makes the maps look good without being a nuisance is likely to be a design goal (based on the note about map lighting).

2 Keys for movement? It's not the same movement. That's like saying 1 key for vertical movement up (jump) and one for vertical movement down (duck) is bad. +movement is a wonderful, EASY thing that allows new players to do previously difficult things like leap+bite or blink+swipe. Making it require multiple button presses again just makes it HARD -- not elegant or simple.
    edited December 2006
    <!--quoteo(post=1582977:date=Dec 1 2006, 06:05 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 1 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]1582977[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's like saying 1 key for vertical movement up (jump) and one for vertical movement down (duck) is bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No it's nothing like that. Duck and Jump are separate directional movements. Forward and Fast Forward are the same basic movement, only with a turbo boost.

<!--quoteo(post=1582977:date=Dec 1 2006, 06:05 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 1 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]1582977[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+movement is a wonderful, EASY thing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.

<!--quoteo(post=1582977:date=Dec 1 2006, 06:05 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 1 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]1582977[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...that allows new players to do previously difficult things like leap+bite or blink+swipe. Making it require multiple button presses again just makes it HARD -- not elegant or simple.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Look, the original convoluted UI made attack and move forward (fast) the same key, which is dumb, and I'm <b>exceedingly glad</b> that someone noticed and implemented a solution. I can use +movement just fine, and I appreciate it to be sure. What I'm saying here is that perhaps NS2 could implement the same overloading system as the original horrible UI, only this time overload a key that makes sense and doesn't interfere with other mutually exclusive functions during combat.

Easy and Hard are not the same things as Elegant or Convoluted. If you want to get the most out of your fade, then learn the controls. Some games make their entire gameplay out of button sequences. I'm talking about something akin to that, instead of having one button for "fire the crossbow" and one button for "fire, but make it hurt more", you have a button for fire, and if you're moving forward, it hurts more by default. An elegant UI should be able to evolve like any technology. I'm not insulting or turning my nose up at +movement. I'm suggesting a further evolution in the concept of control streamlining, that's all.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1582424:date=Nov 30 2006, 07:46 PM:name=Harrower)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harrower @ Nov 30 2006, 07:46 PM) [snapback]1582424[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Like I said, it doesn't make sense to me to have two "move forward" buttons. It isn't that hard to devise a system where, say for example, crouching while pressing back causes the fade to blink. I haven't thought any movement systems through, so don't take that as my actual implementative argument, it's just an example.

The point is that key overloading requires a small sacrifice in general mobility for a huge gain in key simplicity and elegance, and that is a *very* good thing when you have as many different functions to perform quickly as ns requires.

I have an idea, make crouching wshile pressing back make the fade go backwards while crouched. Seriously, movement isn't hard at all in NS. It's a standard FPS config with the added twist of wallwalking, +movement skills, and flying (lerks/jp's), none of which are specially hard to grasp:
    -Walk on a wall to wallwalk, how can it get harder?
    -Use your +movement key to leap, blink, or charge. I don't see how combined keypresses can be harder. It <i>used</i> to require some coordination to blink/sweep/meta efficiently without wasting time between weapon switching, but not anymore. All thanks to one single bind. One bind for three lifeforms IS "key simplicity".
    -Jetpacking is also more or less intuitive: it's like one long jump, and that's exactly what you need to do.
    -I admit that lerking isn't the easiest thing to learn, and I would love to be able to do barrel rolls and other crazy stuff as a lerk, but the way it is, it's as simple as it can get while being relatively easy to maneuver once you understand how to manage your speed and trajectory (as opposed to 1.0x lerking which was more fun and more intuitive because jumping = wing flap, but harder overall)

All in all, what you need for movement, compared to another FPS, is one more key. WASD is standard, jumping is near-standard and so is crouching, and where some games have a prone key, we have a +movement key.
  • ToboldTobold Join Date: 2003-06-16 Member: 17405Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thus you end up with a situation of one node (at most), a few walker fades with one hive, ocs, and possibly dcs if you're really, really lucky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is only true in extremely shambolic public games (well, except for the 'walker fades', they don't exist), and NS is designed around teamplay. Its like complaining a team of footballers who have never played before can't score, they have to practice and learn first.
  • intensityrisingintensityrising Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23148Members
    If you dont have the 'micro' to play as a fade or skulk etc. Then dont play it, it's simple as that.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1584225:date=Dec 4 2006, 04:16 PM:name=intensityrising)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(intensityrising @ Dec 4 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]1584225[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    If you dont have the 'micro' to play as a fade or skulk etc. Then dont play it, it's simple as that.

Yes, that's an excellent suggestion for making sure new players have a bad experience. I'm sure Flayra really wants to keep the player base to a minimum. And me? I hate having lots of server to choose from, an active clanbase, and lots of user contributed content.
  • intensityrisingintensityrising Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23148Members
    What I'm trying to say is, if you can't play well as a skulk or fade, lay off of the alien side for a bit. Thats how I took it when I first started playing NS, wasn't it even one of the in-game tips. To play as a marine till you are comfortable to move on.
  • eAieAi Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22764Members, Constellation
    How are you ever going to get good as skulk/fade unless you practice. Playing marines is hardly good practice, is it?
  • ThePebblerThePebbler Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58793Members
    You guys are way to focused on the "User Interface" point. Discuss all of his points. Just not the one you can put the most holes in.

You guys are way to focused on the "User Interface" point. Discuss all of his points. Just not the one you can put the most holes in.
    Since he lumped all his gripes into one big topic, all replies go into the same thread. You can't pick and choose what you want other people to discuss if you simply drop multiple ideas into one thread. However, since you asked:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The main gripe I have with NS is primarily focused on gorges. They can be pushed to have an interesting life, but they don't come prepackaged with it. New players look at the gorge and say "I can have more fun without spending any res at all, then maybe I can go onos! (or at least lerk!)" So you end up with a lifeform that is crucial to gameplay being omitted from casual gamers because it's boring to them. Thus you end up with a situation of one node (at most), a few walker fades with one hive, ocs, and possibly dcs if you're really, really lucky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see any suggestions for improvement here, but basically your gripe is that there's not much for the gorge to do other then dropping an RT and then waiting several minutes before being able to drop anything else. Correct? This isn't necessarily bad, but I do miss the days of perma-gorges. In those days, gorges built the res towers, hives, and walls of lame while relying on their teammates to defend them. The problem with giving players extra res when they are gorge is that players tend to go gorge just to become fade/onos faster. I'm personally a fan of separating building and evolving res, but the balance and pacing is fairly complex. That said, I'd like to see walls of lame become viable again.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On top of that, the resource collection system is a very good implementation of a game economy but follows the banjokazooienotesystemesque template of quantatative gameplay. I don't care how this is spun, it's inferior to qualatative advantage per node capped. Consider revising this (perhaps this is the work you're already doing with the mysterious nexus system) so that capping a node (controlling a map location, is really what it comes down to) grants you something specific to that node, rather than just "more of the same".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see any point in artifically elevating the importance of res nozzles. Certain areas naturally have tactical importance. Putting the res nozzles in those locations makes them super attractive, and in general the map makers have done a good job of doing so.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I enjoy many of the maps in NS, but I find that they are basically all very similar to one another. Instead of setting up complex machinery or hiding a proto lab at a strategic spot on the map, or setting any other number of esoteric map-specific objectives... you walk through a hall, cap a node, and walk through another hall, then rush a hive. Repeat.

This is good gameplay, but too much of a good thing, while good, is still too much of a thing. I suggest reconsidering the general structure of the maps to diversify the gameplay as well as being works of art (think hera 1 for the artistic quality I'm speaking of).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make up your mide -- do you want artistic quality or gameplay quality? Why would you hide a proto lab anywhere? They offer no location-based advantage. Now an observatory--THOSE you can build all over the map.

As for requiring certain actions during gameplay (in general), I ... um, I don't know if I can discuss it or not? I know it's being addressed, but I'm not sure whether the solution has been presented publicly.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(On this note, I would consider a gamma lock, or a higher contrast between light and dark in some places, but this is off-topic, and only my opinion, so I digress.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See my previous post on gamma lock not working.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1582523:date=Nov 30 2006, 09:09 PM:name=Sephiroth2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sephiroth2k @ Nov 30 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]1582523[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    well, tbh, switching weapons is 1 key to switch, fire to select it, and fire to use it. Three keys at different times.
    Crouch and backwards could be two keys at one time. Which is better.
    One key for blink and one key for attack is additionally better though...
    <!--quoteo(post=1586807:date=Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1586807[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm personally a fan of separating building and evolving res,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting idea.

<!--quoteo(post=1586807:date=Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1586807[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see any point in artifically elevating the importance of res nozzles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're still thinking quantitatively.

<!--quoteo(post=1586807:date=Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1586807[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make up your mide -- do you want artistic quality or gameplay quality?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both. And coffee. And doughnuts. And make it snappy. And cheap.

<!--quoteo(post=1586807:date=Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1586807[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would you hide a proto lab anywhere?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hardwiring a location that grants early proto would, I think, increase the multidimensionality of gameplay.

<!--quoteo(post=1586807:date=Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 10 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1586807[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see any suggestions for improvement here,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Suggestions for improvement weren't the primary goal of this thread (or seemingly any of the replies to it). I'm looking at the things I don't like about NS specifically because it has so many more things I like than those which I don't. If you lerk around these boards much you might see suggestions elsewhere, I remember posting a solid handful.
  • DailyNodesDailyNodes Join Date: 2004-09-26 Member: 31928Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--> The main gripe I have with NS is primarily focused on gorges. They can be pushed to have an interesting life, but they don't come prepackaged with it. New players look at the gorge and say "I can have more fun without spending any res at all, then maybe I can go onos! (or at least lerk!)" So you end up with a lifeform that is crucial to gameplay being omitted from casual gamers because it's boring to them. Thus you end up with a situation of one node (at most), a few walker fades with one hive, ocs, and possibly dcs if you're really, really lucky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Solutions for this(that i can think of):
    -remove gorges. make all buildings player sacs.
    -give gorges better abilities at the start. balancing nightmare i'm sure
    -make buildings use a seperate resource pool.
    I don't like the idea of removing gorges. But giving them better abilities (I think I mentioned mutating a marine RT into a rapid-fire siegable gorge-mountable turret with 3000 hp and very slow res gathering somewhere else on these forums) is a great route to explore, in my opinion.
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    resource nodes should only be quantitative, the quality part is the tactical advantage associated with the map location (as stated before). even then, whats wrong wit the qualitative aspects to buildings like hives, chambers etc
    edited December 2006
    They're fine, but qualitative is virtually always better. Capping and biting down nodes is a boring aspect of the game, especially considering the first-person perspective, "Oh look! I just gorged and dropped a node, and for it I get.... a slight increase in my future res flow! Yay!". Even when commanding there's no "color" associated with a given resource, it's just more of the same.

Think of Acquire and how valuable sheep can become in the right situation. That's an example of one implementation of the kind of gameplay element I'm referring to when I say "qualitative gameplay". Another might be to actually gain an upgrade by capping a location on the map (different from rt capping entirely), which is just another thought to consider.

Basically all I'm saying is that if you want a boring game then conglomerate and hold on to all the aspects like node capping and having gorges babysit hives. Most of NS is a blast to play, but those aspects could be improved, in my opinion.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    harrower i have to disagree with you and say look some ones gotta do it
    some one has to chop rt's some one has to gorge

we need minor objectives to hold other wise its just CO

improveing them yes but the task still needs to be tedious and repeatative

mate rts go down in two seconds if there three of you

i personaly get left to chop rt's by my self it seams others arnt skilled enough to break rine lines to puch a hole in there res flow
    I find dropping res towers to be far less tedious then chomping them for.. what seems like an eternity, as a skulk.
    edited December 2006
    <!--quoteo(post=1589034:date=Dec 15 2006, 04:46 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnteis @ Dec 15 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]1589034[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I find dropping res towers to be far less tedious then chomping them for.. what seems like an eternity, as a skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree.

<!--quoteo(post=1589024:date=Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEX9 @ Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1589024[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->look some ones gotta do it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree.

<!--quoteo(post=1589024:date=Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEX9 @ Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1589024[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->some one has to chop rt's some one has to gorge<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree.

<!--quoteo(post=1589024:date=Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEX9 @ Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1589024[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we need minor objectives to hold other wise its just CO<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree.

<!--quoteo(post=1589024:date=Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEX9 @ Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1589024[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->mate rts go down in two seconds if there three of you<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

33/3=11, but that isn't the point. A real game of NS doesn't have half the team devoted to node control. It has one skulk walking around a map picking up garbage for 33 seconds at a time. It's a job akin to parole candidates picking up trash along the side of the road. This is a horrible and unnecessary gameplay design.

Node-capping was one of my arguments, based on the opportunity cost of a node drop being roughly equal to that of a game played as a lerk lifeform with no visible or exciting payoff especially to new players, but even more than just that, I'm talking about a number of oft-overlooked design elements including - but not limited to - that one. Things such as babysitting hives, biting down nodes (huge), and the overall feeling you get when a node is dropped as aliens. Since pooled res (NOT advocating this as the solution) was removed you don't see much of anything on the drop of a node as a gorge. As I've said before, winning in NS requires a thick paste of altruistic boredom in favor of competitive success. Do you honestly think the portion of the game requiring these elements should be preserved?

<!--quoteo(post=1589024:date=Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEX9 @ Dec 15 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1589024[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->improveing them yes but the task still needs to be tedious and repeatative<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why I disagree with this statement above all. You think this way because you're used to it, not because it must irrevocably be that way, and I believe that a game as great as NS deserves to have this issue addressed for the good of the game as well as the success of the business behind it in regard to creating an intuitive and enjoyable learning curve by which to acquire fresh blood into an awesome, but too-often unapproachable venue of skill, team play, atmosphere, and fun.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    ok i give you a game that is fast paced, action packed you start with all guns, all ammo and your all stuck in a tiny mapish map with 20 odd other players all roughly the same advantages

i give you 2 weeks before your bored of it

the game needs time sinks, stratagy based ones to ether fill in gaps while you wait or to acctively be offencive and use them to draw out the enamy

yes CO was made for a reason simply this

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->creating an intuitive and enjoyable learning curve by which to acquire fresh blood into an awesome, but too-often unapproachable venue of skill, team play, atmosphere, and fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ns is the next step up, you got the feel for your classes you got the controls under your belt you know how classes work well togther

now you need a lenghtyer game style with time sinks and a whole new lvl of rts / fps set of stratgys, where you must limit the side that is loseing to bare nothing while the other side gets a short taste at power and victory

the first matrix was rejected as it was far to perfect,

the tasks at hand need to be tedious and repeatative so you learn to do them you learn the more so and most effective ways to do them you cowardinate to do them to get them out of the way, you cowardinate to keep a eye on them so that they cant be cowardinated against

a balance needs to be achived between desired game play time, tedious repeatative tasks that fill that exsperiance, fun action packed fraging that fills all other time and time left for fellow ship and the victor

me i can sit down and game for 8 hours if need be, others can only spend 30 minutes to 45 for a single sitting some times alowing them to steal away up to 3 sittings

if each player fills there 3 sitings with solid killing they maybe up to them, but no doupt they will get board quikely, solid killing doesnt leave room for stratagy communication and team work, the thing with solid killing is if your always doing it it becomes work there's no change in pace no break up in colors or movement its the same thing, blink in swipe kill get out regen go again <repeatative tedious task

your looking at a glass with water in it saying its half empty it needs to be full

i am looking at a glass every thing around it and saying why i wanna savor my glass of water
    <!--quoteo(post=1589273:date=Dec 16 2006, 10:57 AM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NEX9 @ Dec 16 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]1589273[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a game that is fast paced, action packed you start with all guns, all ammo and your all stuck in a tiny mapish map with 20 odd other players...i give you 2 weeks before your bored of it...the game needs time sinks...draw out the enamy...CO...need a lenghtyer game style...rts / fps set of stratgys ...<b>the tasks at hand need to be tedious and repeatative</b> so you learn to do them you learn the more so and most effective ways to do them you cowardinate to do them to get them out of the way...a balance needs to be achived between [fun gameplay] tedious repeatative tasks ... [and fragging]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, I think we're missing each other. What I'm saying is that every task in the game should be fun, otherwise it ceases to be a game and becomes an emulation, bowing to the realism gods in favor of making the best gameplay you can find.

I completely agree with you that you need strategy type gameplay. If you'll look in my previous posts I explicitly say not to remove gorges. That's because gorges fill a role of RTS experience that's very important. I'm saying that <u>certain jobs</u> of <u>certain classes</u> at <u>certain times</u> during the game, are extraneously boring and unneccessary to accomplish the goal we both appear to favor which is, in a nutshell, a successful FPS+RTS hybrid, much as NS is even now.

Now highlight the emboldened text above.

You have an interesting argument in regard to fading being a tedious task, and I wondered if you'd use it so I was thinking about it. The fact is, fading might be considered <i>repetitive</i>, much like eating food is repetitive, but certainly not <i>dull</i>. When you're a fade, you're consistently in high risk/reward situations doing things that have high impact in the game. It's kind of like riding a roller coaster, except with more tactics.

Contrast that with biting down or dropping nodes. No skill is required to drop or bite down a node. None. You might need knowhow to say "well it'll just die if I drop it in west, so I'll drop it in waste instead" but that isn't something that takes time or effort, and once you know it you can repeat it every time with no variance. It's deterministic and unchallenging.

If you're only a player then drinking the glass of water is what matters, but when you cross over into R&D boards your task changes to filling the glass as much as possible, and in my case, I like to add lemons and sugar.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Whenever you play an RTS, you usually have to pass the first phase of the game simply gathering resources. That can be considered really boring and we could be better off simply playing tower defence or something.

Whenever you play an MMORPG, you usually have to farm and grind to gather experience and the necessary materials for raids or other funstuff. That can also be considered really boring and we could be better off by having a simple hack'n'slash without the need to stop to rest, craft, etc.

Now if you have a better idea to enforce a viable resource model without resource tower control, please share it with us. Because as I see it, what makes the RTS aspect of NS is based around controlling nodes.

I can't say I <i>enjoy</i> keeping my +attack down and watching a lifebar go down, but I've got to admit I find controlling RT's much more interesting than Combat.
    I think that the main problem is that, if a marine isn't around, all you need is time before the RT goes down. And if the marine does come around, your chances of survival (as a skulk) are pretty slim, especially if you don't have 2 hives up. Battling for resources should be not solely based on a hide-and-seek between those on building duty and those on destroying duty.
    You make each node either produce a <b>type</b> of resource and/or make certain points on the map give you upgrades directly. You give gorges a structure bomb that just happens to kill an rt in ~30 seconds with a 30 second cooldown, and you give gorges mutatative abilities to infest and reconstruct existing marine buildings, with an appropriate cost for each mutation.

In addition you might consider separating lifeform and structure res, and pooling the latter like in the old days, which plays synergy into the idea of creating a cost to mutate marine structures, such as res nodes.

There's a billion things you can do. Games do not have to be monotonous, people just think that a game automatically becomes bland if you remove the grinding from it, but I don't agree with that and it'll take a lot more evidence than the argument of "all good games have some boring aspects to them" to convince me of it.