Oh this just hit me

TheOriginal10RoundTheOriginal10Round Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58528Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Docking points</div>Why not , rather than having a set spawn point, a comm may choose a point of entry onto a infested ship. With no prior knowledge, since the aliens 1st hive will be at random, a rescue ship docks at 2 or more points on a ship and the docking vehicle acts as the marine spawn.

Could be an instant clash or a chance to cap res. In the original NS maps were restricted by many limitations, this may be over come now with the new engine.

Just imagine, you spawn in the belly of a rescue vehicle and here the thud of the attaching magnets locking onto the hull, the seal being created between the two ships, the sound of the hull being breached........and then your task is laid before you. The Docing vehicle offers little more room than enough area for a comm chair and maybe 2 I.P's.

All the while, the aliens spawn at that instant, leaving little time to find the breach.

Comments

• KesterKester Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26770Members, Constellation
    There are some good ideas in this. I really like the idea of having 2 or 3 docking points for the marines and the marines starting on a rescue shuttle, although I don't think this should contain any ips, just the comm chair. You also shouldn't be able to build on the shuttle.

The docking points would be quite easily placed by the level designer with an entity to specify where the shuttle would join. The point could be selected by team vote or by a player that starts as comm rather than a regular rine.
  • ToboldTobold Join Date: 2003-06-16 Member: 17405Members
    It's a really good idea, and will bring a new level of tactics to the game i think (also it will result in differently shaped maps, with 6 main areas instead of 4). But there will have to be something similar for the aliens, otherwise having those extra 5-10 seconds at the start could give them an unfair advantage
  • TheOriginal10RoundTheOriginal10Round Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58528Members
    Tobold , the idea is that is that everyone spawns at the same time as it is now in NS to start out the game but the proximity to each other(marines and aliens) determines if it's utter chaos or time to hunt for res and set up a base. Marines dock next to a hive, you have a constant battle right from the get go but if the marines dock across the map from a alien starting hive it's more of a search for both teams to find the other and thus a lull before the battle begins.
  • The_Storm_KingThe_Storm_King Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43242Members
    maybe the aliens can choose an infestation point as well. And then maybe there could be like an opening sequence or something depending on what they choice. Like when the hive drops we see the surrounding area become infected and grown over with the Kharaa bio matter.
  • HyperionHyperion Hyperion2010 Join Date: 2003-10-06 Member: 21477Members
    Very good ideas here.

I'm not so sure the kharaa being able to choose would fit very well with the back story, but I know that the marines being able to choose would fit nicely.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    wow kick ###### idea. really like. not so the khara choosing though. this could indeed add a whole new level of tactics as the aliens wont know where the rines are (unless the rines dock in thier hive).
  • DarkaDarka Join Date: 2005-08-03 Member: 57466Members
    i think that marines should have 3 docking points just like aliens have 3 hives
    and the docking points would be randomly chosen just like hives
  • wnnwnn Zombie Panic modeller Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16960Members
    If the marines get to choose where they spawn between the docks, the maps would have to be designed very carefully to be balanced in each situation of choice, otherwise they'll be only one spot that everyone will choose everytime, if it's close to the double res area for example.
  • cerberus414cerberus414 Join Date: 2005-05-07 Member: 51098Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2006
    How about the server chooses randomly which docking point will be used. I mean marines are always at a disadvantage because there is only one marine start which aliens aliens know about. If aliens get random starts, why can't marines. I like this idea, because it would also add a feel to how marines got on the ship in the first place. Also, I think something should be done about the infantry portal spawns. Marines can't just spawn continuously out of nowhere.

If you guy ever played perfect dark zero, there is something called a ready room - could be another ship (Not the actual F4 ready room). In the ready room you are given 10 seconds to choose a weapon and stock up on ammo. There is also a teleporter that you can take to bypass the wait time (I'm guessing the teleporter would take you through and to the infantry portal). The 10 second rule would prevent people from camping in the ready room. I mean in the NS storyline, infantry portal is just like a one-way PhaseGate reinforcing troops from another ship. Marines aren't robots, they aren't made by the infantry portals.

This has a few benefits. First, people who first appear in the ready room have a chance to get a gun from the commander and get some ammo before aliens have a chance to kill them. I think it could solve the spawn camping problem. The more IPs you got, the more people can go through at once. People inside the ready would would appear in waves kinda like in Day of Defeat, not one, not two, not three, but maybe 5-6 people at once. Right now, if you start building more than 3 IPs, it becomes useless because the rate of spawn doesn't change, but I think it should change it.
    Second, I don't know what the second benefit could be, but I know that Marines need a FLAMETHROWER.
  • Hakuna_matataHakuna_matata Join Date: 2004-04-25 Member: 28179Members
    I agre with Darka, make it random for both teams.
    The bad part is that playing public would sometimes be unbareable since it would rely so much on the competens of te commander, wich it already does.
  • BelgarionBelgarion Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 973Members
    that's a fantastic idea, one which really deserves serious consideration. I suppose the MS really would need to be random though, with some slight meddling, such as making the MS and the aliens first hive the same place about 25% less likely.

but it poses other problems too I think. For instance, how many different MS points do you want? If you want the possibility of starting in the first hive (which is a killer[good] idea imo), you have to make every hive a possible MS, or the aliens will know "we don't have to worry about getting MS right here" in a specific hive or two.

in addition, you'll want some MS-only locations. i say locationS because otherwise all we've really added is the ability to start in the hive locations. so now we have at LEAST 5 MS locations, maybe more.

I understand I'm presenting problems without solutions, but at least you can start thinking about it too. I also want to make it clear I think gameplay will not be adversely effected by this. In fact, I believe it would cause it to be more varried and thus more fun. Sometimes you get short, highly frantic battles, but also have the chance of getting long seige battles. It can go both ways, so people who like both types of gameplay will enjoy playing.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Would the extra docking points ( MS rooms ) that arnt used still be there ?
    Would they create extra load on the server if they are pointless rooms ?
    Could the spare MS rooms be ghost rooms that arnt drawn if they are not selected as the MS ?
    MS always has a res point and tend to be designed as a defendable room would this not create extra res nodes that marines can exploit ?
  • TheOriginal10RoundTheOriginal10Round Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58528Members
    Well the way I was thinking it was that each docking point would be like any MS in the game now.............a open area and a res point. Where ever the MS is the res would already be capped and the other possible areas would be open rooms with a res TO BE capped in it.

The docking ship it self could serve as the MS , like a map I love and cannot remember the name....but for the longest time one of the hives was unnamed.....the marines spawn started in the cockpit of the ship. Like wise, the docking ship could server the same purpose.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I understand. the map your talking about i think is called ns_nancy.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    The marines should be in a ship for the first 5-10 seconds then they dock. A door opens, and a uncapped res point awaits them (the commander will of course get more res that now), then it's a mad dash to get res and build the base. Other docking stations would just have a door that represents where the ship may have dropped (instead of an actual room).
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited November 2006
    It would be possible for a mapper to do this at current. Would be tricky although could be(I believe). Idea on how to do it below,

Aliens spawn to hive, although exits blocked. As soon as marines weld open a spawn point the hive exits open. Game begins.

Marines spawn to a 'holding pen'. They have the option of welding only two doors and it opens up one spawn or the other which then transports them to that spawn and uses that spawn for the whole round/game. *EDIT* Obviously one spawn would become inaccessible/blocked off for the whole game*/EDIT*

May require some entity coding though although not too complex?
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    just a note, whilst the alien hive is random, the commander can find out what it is in a few seconds. the aliens NEED mutiple hive spots so they can build more hives. looking at a rather different situation between the two teams. and lastly, one would think that in almost every case where there are multiple m/s choices, there would be an obvious/central location to pick.
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2006
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not , rather than having a set spawn point, a comm may choose a point of entry onto a infested ship. With no prior knowledge, since the aliens 1st hive will be at random, a rescue ship docks at 2 or more points on a ship and the docking vehicle acts as the marine spawn. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is, imho, a FANTASTIC IDEA!

And while players are joining TSA team at round start, you are inside hat dropship/vehicle....
    Any mappers have some input on this or have mappers already posted? I would like to hear what they have to say because this would add such a dynamic to the game.
  • EbayleEbayle Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39131Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1580768:date=Nov 25 2006, 10:00 PM:name=TheOriginal10Round)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheOriginal10Round @ Nov 25 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]1580768[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Any mappers have some input on this or have mappers already posted? I would like to hear what they have to say because this would add such a dynamic to the game.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I'm a mapper, but. a beginner, Not really that good, but I do know quite a bit.

Myself, I think that random docking points is a good idea, would make maps more interesting. get a bit of diversity in there.

Thaldarin's idea for the current ns, is acctually possibble. have 16 welders in a holding pen that the marines origanally spawn in (if the welders cant be placed. maybe 2 buttons instead?), 2 seperate closed off one way phase gates (or doors/teleporters WTHe) in both of the MS locations there is one CC, whatever teleporter the marines weld open first, cancels acsess to the other one (for everybody, blocking of passages.), and unblocks all passages around the hives. and opens up the area the marines have selected, marines teleport in, and game proceeds like a normal ns_ game.

Damn, I want to map that now.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Only reading this topic because of link posted from another topic which brings into play the alien side of this.....

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=4890090158205197312&showtopic=98654" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....showtopic=98654</a>

Both of these would add to the game and atmosphere and make each round on each map a new challenge and dynamic.
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    I think that as far as diversity of play goes, NS already has enough "chance" as it were with the random hive situation. If, however, in NS2 both teams could select their starting points (marines where they dock and aliens where they spawn), then this could be a very interesting topic to think about.

The real question would have to be whether it makes sense to force mappers to balance their maps so that any combination of dockings or hives would be balanced.

Personally, I think that it would add too much confusion and too much variability between the balance of maps (in a game where balance is already so map-dependent).
    edited November 2006
    It would all be random, depending on where either team starts dictates what is going to happen. Map balance should not be the issue here, it's about random starts and a sudden battle or a time to build and expand.

And why would 'IT' force mappers do anything when in fact this probably would give them more freedom and be a little more creative when creating a map.

As far as I understand balance isn't the issue here, in fact, it greatly increases balance. Simply put...............oh the hive is here, quick lock down the hive on the other side of the map...........that's what I call imbalance and it is FAR too predictable.
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    I really like this idea, especialy with the marine docking point being random.

The marines could have a short sequence in the docking vehicle, while the aliens watch infestation start and the hive growing.

It would have to be random, otherwise every map would always have a "best" starting point that everyone would choose.

Sounds great though.
    I don't think the aliens should watch the infestation grow, rather, they should lie in an egg and hatch when the game starts.
    Exactly GLIMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! The teams spawn at the same time........whereever that may be................wherever............
  • korzeckorzec Join Date: 2006-11-12 Member: 58553Members
    small addition:
    the intro part will certainly( if they were too long, 15+ secs?) become annoying, so if it gets to the ns2 it should appear once in the first round on the map, next rounds should skip it or just play the last few seconds of the full into ( like few second hold on start in ns1 ) not to mention sv_allowintro 0 ;d
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Although the idea doesn't sound bad at all, I don't like it.
    Different marine start locations could have already be done in ns1, if they liked to, but they don't.
    Marines and Aliens are supposed to be different and alternative start-locations clearly belongs to aliens.
    Moreover marines walking-route through the map and forward phasegates or mini outposts already serve the purpose of marines doing different approaches, depending on their strategy and the alien game.
    Considering that it is already a though job to balance all 3 hives and their enviroment equally, it would be even harder to balance 3 hives and 3 possible marine starts.
    Ok I see your point but I still think the marines should dock into the ship. I.e for the first 5-10 seconds the marines are in a ship. The ship docks, the drop off ship shudders from the collision, and a door opens. The comm chair would already be in the ship so things don't just appear.
    edited December 2006
    <!--quoteo(post=1582187:date=Nov 30 2006, 02:00 AM:name=TheOriginal10Round)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheOriginal10Round @ Nov 30 2006, 02:00 AM) [snapback]1582187[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    It would all be random, depending on where either team starts dictates what is going to happen. Map balance should not be the issue here, it's about random starts and a sudden battle or a time to build and expand.

And why would 'IT' force mappers do anything when in fact this probably would give them more freedom and be a little more creative when creating a map.

As far as I understand balance isn't the issue here, in fact, it greatly increases balance. Simply put...............oh the hive is here, quick lock down the hive on the other side of the map...........that's what I call imbalance and it is FAR too predictable.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So rather than re-typing this i'll just quote myself be cause psykoman, no map would be played the same way ever. Read the entire thread..............and quit using balance as a fallback......the maps are imbalanced in nature as it is now, how do you balance ADVANTAGE?