ns_grey

NaigelNaigel Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18376Members, Constellation Posts: 651
Should I?
It's been such a while since I've been here. Anyway... years ago I made like 20% of a map called ns_grey. I never completed it, but nowadays Hammer is just there looking at me, begging to be used. With the new consti release I figured: why not.

But before I resume work again, do you think I should continue? Here are some screenshots (maybe some of you remember this map):

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So... should I?
IPB Image

- IPB Image Constellation member - naigel.nl - naturalselection.com - egir.dk -

Comments

• FFSkyriderFFSkyrider Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58211Members Posts: 88
    edited November 2006
    In my opinion, I think you should. The map looks great, even though I do think the Hive is in a small area / corner. Which means it would give some problems in my opinion (I don't like small corners tounge.gif) Other then that, go for it! If you need any hosting, check my signature.
    IPB Image
    Want your Natural Selection File hosted at HL2Files.com? Private Message me! :D
  • Rendy_CZechRendy_CZech Life is a Koan Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21608Members Posts: 470
    edited November 2006
    I have exactly the same dilema. Do some mapping for old NS? Or wait for NS2 tech release?
    Playing NS since 1.0
    image <- Highly addictive elements!!
    Maps:
    ns_Hulk
    co_Overmind
  • NazulNazul Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9052Members Posts: 278
    you should defenetly continue building this right now!

with all yo new skillz' yo.. gonna look pro imo.
    - Proud NS player -
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 15,780 Advanced user
    I now have the same problem after finishing me map. I have a pretty nice idea of a CO followup for it...

You just have to ask yoursel this one question. How much time will I need to complete this map, and while your at it ask Flayra about the releasedate of ns2tr tounge.gif

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

• SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members Posts: 245
    Your map looks really nice, sure you have to finish the map. =) Good luck!
  • Rendy_CZechRendy_CZech Life is a Koan Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21608Members Posts: 470
    I must agree. Map looks very good, only the lightning shoud be spiced up little bit. Now seems little bland.
    Playing NS since 1.0
    image <- Highly addictive elements!!
    Maps:
    ns_Hulk
    co_Overmind
  • NaigelNaigel Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18376Members, Constellation Posts: 651
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I think I'll pick it up again.

Anyway, all I want to do for now is to finish a map which is worth playing AND worth looking at. However, these new maps in the new version of NS are just mindblowing, I'm not sure if I can meet such a high standard of eye candy. But I'll try my best.

I'll keep you guys updated and I'll resume work on this map as soon as possible.
    IPB Image

- IPB Image Constellation member - naigel.nl - naturalselection.com - egir.dk -
  • BlackPantherBlackPanther Join Date: 2002-02-11 Member: 197Members Posts: 1,393 Fully active user
    I like it

Not over the top, fits NS theme perfectly, not jizzing with special effects to distract from gameplay, it looks solid.

All in all, i say finish it.

Although one thing... that computer console in the 4rth shot, needs some loving.
    *NUKED.* Do not evade the swear filter. -Talesin
    IPB Image
    [PF LOTW] [XMAS]
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 2,545 Fully active user
    I think you should, Naigel.

Though, (this is just my personal opinion) the map needs more contrast / gamma. It looks faded and dull right now. (But like I said, that's just my opinion.)

~ DarkATi
  • SpacerSpacer Invented dogs Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 16008Members Posts: 1,527
    I like the dull lighting, it's makes a change from high contrast bright coloured maps. It has much more of a NS 1.04 feel that way. Also with the liberal use of everyones favourite texture, vent2 biggrin-fix.gif.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation Posts: 6,132
    Reminds me so much of one of those official maps. Like a claustrophobic Altair.
    blah blah blah
  • NayNay Join Date: 2002-06-09 Member: 741Members Posts: 359
    its really nice m8 its just ive got so use to source i think halflife 1 engine is pants tbh, good to see youget back into it
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands, Hoogezand Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 15,780 Advanced user
    QUOTE(Nay @ Nov 6 2006, 11:58 PM) »

its really nice m8 its just ive got so use to source i think halflife 1 engine is pants tbh, good to see youget back into it

Wet pants actually tounge.gif

Still this dilema "should I go, or wait" has increased hmm, with the master of all things (flay) posting stuff about ns2tr in another thread...

Guardian of the "magic cookiejar" AdminModerator

Existence Unknown

Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    Retired EUPT Deputy | Moral Support | Squad 5 Blue
    102 1HP Skulk escapes and counting | Play the Latest Version of Booster Z-Frame
    YouTube NS2 Playlists: Unusual Selection | NS2 Stuff | NS2PT | NS2 Tuts

• NayNay Join Date: 2002-06-09 Member: 741Members Posts: 359
    yes its interesting, i love source mapping its so much more open, before it was like everything had to be really well thought out but because environments can be bigger etc its just nicer to work with
  • ShenTraXShenTraX Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22434Members, Constellation Posts: 662
    Looks a little tight around that hive, but overall looking good...
    had that sig for years. lame baleet.
  • Spawn_of_Chaos97Spawn_of_Chaos97 Join Date: 2006-11-21 Member: 58694Members Posts: 192
    Ok, my #1 question: How did you get 90+ FPS in HL1? I can't get above 60 no matter what I try!

On the map: Looks great! Really, really great!

Really, really...better than anything I could do in the next three years! nerd-fix.gif Anyways, nice work man. Finish it! I kind of like the hive in the corner; most hive rooms are (to me) too big and open and too easy for rines to kill skulks when they spawn before the skulks even have a chance.
    IPB Image

Thanx again Belgarion!
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members Posts: 1,115 Advanced user
    If you're not getting above 60 FPS, you might have vsync turned on. vsync will reduce "tearing" of the rendered picture by capping the framerate to whatever the monitor refresh rate is. So if you had the monitor running at 60 Hz, your framerate would also be 60. Likewise with other refresh rates.

You can turn off vsync in the monitor control panel in the "advanced" button where you set the resolution and color.

Keep in mind that you really don't gain anything from a framerate increase over 60, in fact it may cause more problems than it helps, so I would just leave it alone.
    QUOTE (unknown)
    Admiral, why dont we just breach the hull after overriding the automatic hatchlocks closing procedure?

Last time we did this an onos just put its fat **** inside the hole and lerks just farted a new athmosphere.
    It looked so gross that we decided to never ever do this again.

My Website
    NS Map Archive
  • JoshehJosheh Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34564Members, Constellation Posts: 86
    fps_max 100

Great looking map, you could make it a source map in the first release of ns2
    penix, lol!
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members Posts: 1,115 Advanced user
    QUOTE(Josheh @ Nov 26 2006, 06:03 AM) »
    fps_max 100

That will have no effect if vsync is turned on.
    QUOTE (unknown)
    Admiral, why dont we just breach the hull after overriding the automatic hatchlocks closing procedure?

Last time we did this an onos just put its fat **** inside the hole and lerks just farted a new athmosphere.
    It looked so gross that we decided to never ever do this again.

My Website
    NS Map Archive