Being able to play NS

PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">In a lan party, when you're the only one with NS and...</div>Say, you're in a lan party, you have no internet connection. You have steam ready in off line mode, is there anyway to upload steam/naturalselection somehow and play natural selection together? On one account too?

Comments

• ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    You'd have to install ns on each computer, and have all computers running in offline mode. If you're working off of one account, that means connecting one, putting it in offline, disconnecting, connecting another, etc.
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    Does the info save on something that can be transferable? Like saved passwords, offline mode, etc? So I can just get it ready in offline, transfer files to other computers, then start it up?

Also how exactly do you transfer files in LAN anyway?
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Best way to do it is to just download the installation files and pass them around.
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    AFAIK clientregistry.blob is non-transferable, it contains info specifically to prevent that.

If on windows, you need to set a folder on one of your computers as shared, put the files in there and grab them from there with the other computers.
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    So I put it in the share folder, and right click properties and check network sharing. Do I transfer it over LAN(somehow, I'm a nub) or just have them hook up their hard drive in my comp and transfer it like that?
  • Guvnuh4Guvnuh4 Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2198Members, Constellation
    you can right click on "my computer" then go to properties ==> "Computer Name" tab then write down/remember the current name of your PC specifically where it says "full computer name" not "computer description" (we'll say the computer's name is "test" for this example)

then you can get on someone elses computer on the network and open up an explorer browser (like open "my network places" or "my computer"). if you open "my network places" you, in theory, already have your shared folder viewable (this is the first thing i would recommend doing). otherwise you can just type:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->\\[computer name]
    in the example it would be:
    \\test<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

surf your files on your shared folder to your hearts content. hopefully that helps.

luv, guv
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2006
    Also if the other peers are running windows xp (I assume that at this current time everyone playing games should be at this point), then they should all have a folder called 'shareddocs' by default. This will show up under my computer directly. Shareddocs has write access by default. If this is the case, then those who want it should just shout out their computer name, then you look for it under my network places. Once you found their computer on the network, just dbl click it and open the shareddocs folder. Then all you have to do is copy the installation files, and paste them into the shared docs file. keep repeating this for those who want to play ns. This may be a little quicker the the previous method, assuming everything is setup right and the others you play with have some experience in this area.