Using Phase Gates

RuneGreyRuneGrey Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4844Members
<div class="IPBDescription">...go into the light...</div> Alright, I have to wonder... I was commanding a rather interesting game on Nothing this evening, and we'd managed to make a good start. Captured Miasma and Generator, before moving on and securing the Cargo Bay Foyer Hive as well. Now, the critical thing here was that we had managed to box in a large portion of the map, not to mention eight seperate resource nodes. Now, seeing as our back area was rather undefended, I set up a good system of turrets and phase gates around the peremeter of our controlled area, so that my marines could go where they were needed to repel enemy attacks.

...except that once I handed out HA, my marines stopped USING them.

Are Phase Gates SCARY or something? Are people afraid of jumping through them? Or do they not know that you can stand on one and bounce between gates? It was just really strange, and it cost us the game, because our marines were walking everywhere... we ended up losing the hive and a lot of resource nodes, and were never really able to recover from that blow. x.x

Any thoughts?

Comments

• sendersender Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8337Members
    I noticed this too. Or people just camp at base refusing to jump from gate t gate to make sure everthing is well. Phase gates are awesome, they are one of the fist things I put in when setting up a new base.
  • zodazoda Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7175Members
    edited November 2002
    I have been playing for a week or two now and I am doing good, but what the hell are phase gates?

I am not sure, but what I have been able to figure right now is that they're those little transportation things marines get, right?? kinda like movement chambers, but you just walk over..

edit: I guess I am right - I dotn play marines much, and never commander. Yeah they're cool
  • DiscobirdDiscobird Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7489Members
    Yeah, I've had marines avoid phase gates and walk the long way... or I tell them to phase to a certain place, they pop there for a split second, then phase back to where they came from and just stay there. I can't figure it out. =/

Most people know how to use them though.
  • JujiJuji Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9153Members
    I'm guessing that you probably did, but did you actually tell them to go through the phase gates to protect xxx?

Usually whenever you tell people exactly what to do, they do it (if they know what you are talking about). If you told them and they still didn't go through, I have no idea.
  • BlueeBluee Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6286Members
    Phase Gates rule. Nothing like with having an HA, and phasing into an outpost under attack by skulks, and then knifing them all. Rawr.
  • LancelotLancelot Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9695Members
    i noticed following: as soon as the players realize that U (the commander) have researched heavy armor and HMG and GL most players will not LEAVE the base, until they get everything (HA, HMG, Welder = close to 60 RP!) ..they simply dont understand that resources are not unlimited and that they can accomplish something without HA or HMG. especially at bases..they can repair with welder, build sieges, put mines in vents etc...

that is one of the reasons why I get the upgrades as fast as possible. They give the marines a fair chance of surviving, but they usually dont even notice...and dont have to wait for heavy gear in the base.

mfg

lance
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    phase gates are pretty much light-speed transports between 2+ phase gates, jump on one and it takes u to the first phase gate built and so on, quite useful when trying to defend hives.

And about this whole wanting hmg's and everything, i used to be like that, (kinda) but i would only ask once or twice, id never bug the commander. but i did ask. i got better with the lmg, now i just run out with what i have, unless we really need someone with a GL, or something. but unless theres wpns on the floor...i just go fight with my lmgs, and ill tell u what, i fair pretty well.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2002
    <b>A note about phase gates</b>

Always have your phase gates as part of an elaborate turret matrix. While protecting the TF from attack is of much greater import than protecting phase gates, an unprotected gate is an easy trip into your base. Why? Aliens can use them, too.

Do not let this minor issue scare you away from building phase gates, however. Phase gates are one of the most important tools a commander has at his or her disposal.

NOTE: When I say "eleborate turret matrix," I do not mean "turret farm." Most commanders just spam turrets all over the place without giving any thought to their placement. Keep some good plans in your head from the start, then build from there.
  • SirusSirus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8466Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    hmm...yes, phase gates are useful, especially if u incorporate them correctly. however, im not sure why <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Always have your phase gates as part of an elaborate turret matrix.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> has to do with marines being afraid of using them.
  • TheDamageTheDamage Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7348Members
    Remeber to recycle backend phase gates that are no longer needed to keep marines moving to hives and forward fire bases.
    forgot about recycling, usually not commander, but still forgot about it. now that i think about it recycling is a good habit to do, especially with useless phasegates.
  • SpotterSpotter Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5255Members
    I perfer not to place phase gates as a commander, let the marines walk. But normaly the marines ask for it to go from the main base to the closet resource points, which in my opinion is just silly.

If your going to use them, use it for larger distances.

And the only time I would actualy use them, is if a marine got in an unprotected hive, put one up, warp the team there.
  • TheDamageTheDamage Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7348Members
    Phase gates are essential. You will lose to a good alien team without them. It's just silly to make your people walk. I hope you were being sarcastic.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin--TheDamage+Nov 23 2002, 07:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TheDamage @ Nov 23 2002, 07:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Phase gates are essential. You will lose to a good alien team without them. It's just silly to make your people walk. I hope you were being sarcastic.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Sirus+Nov 23 2002, 06:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sirus @ Nov 23 2002, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->hmm...yes, phase gates are useful, especially if u incorporate them correctly. however, im not sure why <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Always have your phase gates as part of an elaborate turret matrix.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> has to do with marines being afraid of using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <i>Sigh</i>

It's not the marines who would be afraid of them; I was giving some commander advice. I've seen plenty otherwise excellent commanders not place phase gates because they were afraid a curious skulk might step in one and nuke their base. The point is: keep your gates well guarded, and there is nothing to be afraid of.