Turret Ai

TeiohTeioh Canadia Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9453Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Use the turret from TFC</div> The turrets on both sides have a hard time hitting the players, more so on the alien side. Why not use the AI from TFC turrets which always hit once they're locked on. This wouldn't work for the Alien turrets due to the fact that it is not a hit scan item. The human turret, however would be a lot better overall and maybe you could make the alien turret a hit scan weapon as well. At the time, you can out run the turrets, which kind of defeats the purpose of them.

Comments

• FoggyFoggy Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9620Members
    Yeah, but it would take a fairly skilled skulk with celerity to outrun more than two turrets. The main problem with turrets is their slow response time... as a skulk, I could run a few feet down a corridor, see turrets, turn back, and hear bullets hitting the wall behind me microseconds after I get out of the way.. it's exciting, but since they *always* are slow, it gets boring fast.
  • ctxctx Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4592Members
    You are supposed to be able to dodge them...
  • padijunpadijun Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3419Members
    The response time on turrets is fine. Too fast and they'd become godlike as is with TFC (though in TFC a couple well placed grenades makes short work of turrets). Too slow and they'd be ineffective. They medium response time is balanced with relatively high amounts of HP.
  • Heresy_FnordHeresy_Fnord Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7207Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Dead_Dan+Nov 22 2002, 08:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Dead_Dan @ Nov 22 2002, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The turrets on both sides have a hard time hitting the players, more so on the alien side. Why not use the AI from TFC turrets which always hit once they're locked on. This wouldn't work for the Alien turrets due to the fact that it is not a hit scan item. The human turret, however would be a lot better overall and maybe you could make the alien turret a hit scan weapon as well. At the time, you can out run the turrets, which kind of defeats the purpose of them.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe the turrets were made on purpose. I haven't personally played marines enough to know, but I believe the turrets can be upgraded. I assume one of the upgrades is better locking capabilities.

Either way I'm sure the turrets were purposely set that way.
  • Secret_NinjaSecret_Ninja Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9286Members
    The turrets are supposed to be slow on the uptake. If they were instant and had perfect aim, a lurk or skulk couldn't slip through them. Which is pretty necessary for balance, or the marines would just build a few turrets at every corner and make it impossible for the weaker aliens to go anywhere in a map.
  • BolterBolter Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8331Members
    I do believe that turrets track a little better once you have motion tracking. It could be my imagination though. Any straight word on this from the Dev's?
    Cheers!
  • othellothell Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4183Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The turrets are actually fine. Well placed turrets can do quite a bit, especially if the alien plans on stopping for even a moment. No need to change em. Would just make the game unbalanced.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    yeah, they are fine as the are. The present an obstacle in the process of taking down an expansion, but if need be, the aliens can just sprint past them to another part of the map if they are in a hurry.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The only upgrade that affects turrets is the damage upgrade researched at the arms lab; it increases their damage by 10, 20, and 30% (depending on level) just like the marines' weapons.
  • InjuryInjury Mahou Shoujo Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7992Banned
    I shudder to think of TFC style Turrets with our current Turret Farm commanders.
  • FoggyFoggy Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9620Members
    *zap* and another onos disappears.
  • TestamentTestament Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Injury+Nov 23 2002, 06:53 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Injury @ Nov 23 2002, 06:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I shudder to think of TFC style Turrets with our current Turret Farm commanders.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't turret farm. ;D

I was just commanding, and we kept expanding, 2 or 3 turrets at every resource station usually. It was my first REAL time commanding, and I had to leave mid-game, but I think we won. The aliens made barely any progess the half hour - 45 mins I was in.
  • InjuryInjury Mahou Shoujo Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7992Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin--Testament+Nov 23 2002, 07:03 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Testament @ Nov 23 2002, 07:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't turret farm. ;D<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aw, Testament, I wasn't accusing you of Turret Farming. It was a light generalization, I apologize if you took it personally, but if you didn't, when I find you in a game, I'm eating your brains.
  • Speed_2_DaveSpeed_2_Dave Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8788Members
    doh! Coil beat my to the line..

When the marines have upgraded damage, turrets do more, making it hurt more as a skulk trying to kill them in lategame (I've tried).
  • KitsuneKitsune Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7843Members
    Making research all the more vital for commanders. While Goofus rushed HMGs and HAs and has turrets that bounce bullets like snowflakes off of Fade carapaces, Gallant has fully-upgraded weapons and armor that let his marines fight well with no extra cost, and turrets that can actually do some good.
  • HannebambelHannebambel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5416Banned
    IMHO the turrets/chambers should also automatically aim on scanned/parasited foes, even if they are not in sight. Of course they should shoot when they are in sight and not earlier, but an already detected skulk will it have harder, if the sentries already see him coming.
  • ChemChem Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2555Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2002
    The thing with using the turret AI is that it can vary.
    Lvl1 sg is basicallyyour turret it's generally luck that they lock on to me before I land the first bite on it and generally miss often.
    LvL2's have an insane range and a very fast target time but their accuracy is about 80%
    LvL3's have a slower lock on and shorter lock on range but NEVER miss.
    Personally I'd like to see a mix between the fast lock on and the short range
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    There are a couple problems to jacking up the turrets:

- Server CPU performance is a problem when they acquire targets faster
    - Design-wise it's a problem when a slight misstep means a turret locks on you and kills you

FYI, turret range and aquisition speed never change with upgrades. The only thing that changes is the amount of damage they do, and each upgrade changes the sentry firing sounds so observant players can tell.
  • WolfWolf Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1100Members
    They're godlike enough, considering how many commanders feel that making wave after wave of lame is cool.
  • WolfWolf Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1100Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--the_move+Nov 23 2002, 11:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (the_move @ Nov 23 2002, 11:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->IMHO the turrets/chambers should also automatically aim on scanned/parasited foes, even if they are not in sight. Of course they should shoot when they are in sight and not earlier, but an already detected skulk will it have harder, if the sentries already see him coming.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This I like.

Flayra, your thoughts?