Vac

A_Clockwork_OrangeA_Clockwork_Orange Join Date: 2005-07-03 Member: 55175Members
i see in version 3.0 that ns supports vac. every time i enable it i get complaints that people are having issues ( non ban related ) connecting to my server. is this common ?

Comments

• BryBry Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12609Members
    vac isnt supported in ns 3.0 it was suppsoed to be but never made it in.

vac2 is in testing at valve atm and supports all hl1 mods as well as hl2 and can be anabled with -vacbeta on the end of your startup line (only way to do it)

In a v near releaseof a new version of hl1 server this will apparently be enabled by default.

however, atm anti cheat detection isnt working in vac2 it is merely testing the connectionpart of vac2
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    yea, vac does not work with any 3rd party mods. if you enable it on a mod that valve doesnt have direct control over, the server will most likely start up fine, but clients will get this error message:

Disconnecting from server
    Reason : Client sent "Drop"

whats wierd about getting that error message is that its a server side only message (can only be seen from the console) maybe vac is hooking the server.dll instead of the client.dll?

enabling the vac2 beta will not ban cheaters, as its not complete yet. also vac doesnt auto ban people. sometimes it takes up to a month to catch them which is highly innefective. for a temporary or more permenant solution, hlguard seems to work well on my server and has caught many cheaters before. if you want to try it, goto www.thezproject.org

just make sure that its set to silent mode so that most people dont know its running unless they use the "meta list" command and see it in the metamod plugin list.