I Will F4

2»

Comments

• FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-SinSpawn+Jun 24 2005, 07:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SinSpawn @ Jun 24 2005, 07:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Faskalia+Jun 23 2005, 04:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Faskalia @ Jun 23 2005, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you f4 as soon as the game has been decided, you will be in the ready room at 8:00.

90% of all games are decided the moment the 2nd hive goes up or is destroyed, which is usually around the 8:00 minute mark. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol what! it takes you 8 mins to get a hive up, usually if I play and feel forced to drop a hive, I will do it around 4-5 mins from my rfk, or 3:30+ if I am doing really well.

Then again I play on a 30 player server :/

edit: more on topic, the game is really based on teamwork, without it...your pretty much playing alone and trying to win without teamwork its kinda hard to win. plus you need good players to listen to orders and go fade, etc. Good players is solution to this so-called 'Slippery Slope' <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Watch your next few games a little closer. At the 8:00 minute mark the 2nd hive is either up or marines are dominating the alien team.
  • MrBenMrBen ns_eclipse, ns_veil caretaker Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8575Members
    I was banned for "lame quitting" once.
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14834Members
    edited June 2005
    I F4 when losing as alien... i don't F4 when losing as marine. Call me whatever names you wish... but the fact is losing marine's slippery slope is just not as steep as the alien's.

Lets take a look at the losing side's assets quickly:

Aliens:

- Chambers... if the 2nd hive was up long enough they'll have two types (sometimes not even 3 of them though)

- skulks... lots of skulks. Maybe a lerk if the alien team is lucky

Yeah... thats all regular losing alien teams have when the going gets rough.

Marines:

- Arms lab upgrades. All of them. and the arms lab can be rebuilt if any res is left over... unlike chambers that will be sliced and diced when the 2nd hive falls.

- Upgraded armory. HMGs GLs and a pocket full of hopes and dreams make the marine team losing much funner then the alien team

- Motion tracking and phase tech

- maybe Prototech... depending upon how long the alien team took to decide which team would win the match

- Guns/equipment dropped by dead marines. Boy i wish i could climb into a fade after it dies as skulk.

- 3-4 turrets max... any more and you lost before the round started.

Marine buildings are generally the last thing destroyed when marines lose, where aliens lose buildings and upgrades as they lose the war. Marine buildings contain the upgrades and can be rebuilt if there are res available for it to restore said upgrades (barring advanced armory... but then there are shottys and they are fun enough to play with while losing). Aliens can't rebuild their 2nd chambers. this is a big reason why the marine slippery slope is not as slick as the alien's.

What does each team do while losing?

Marines:

- Defend base... killing multipul aliens (unless they are all fade/onos)

- Ninja PG

- Ninja PG again across the map

- Rambo around the map trying to get more ninja PGs

- two words: Knife kills

- relocate... sometimes into the alien hive room

- Build 6 IPs and play whack-a-rine with aliens

Aliens:

- Die repeatedly to superior teched foes as skulk

- Hide and die when hive is lost

- same as above but build DCs to make the com siege/get JP

- Hope you get res for fade/lerk so you can slow the game down... making life boring for your skulk buddies. /wrists

- Put up a hive across the map so the alien team can spectate the lone gorge hiding in the corner while the HA/JP march of death closes in on him

Which seems more enjoyable?
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope folks can make the distinction between taking a hard hit, and a totally hopeless situation.

The example I present is as follows:

My kharaa team just had the 2nd hive come up, and we had 2 fades with MCs. We had 3 RTs. The marines had AA, 1 hive locked pretty tight, and ~4 RTs.
    (8v8 game)

They sieged our 2nd hive, and one of the fades died defending it.

Someone managed to drop 3 DCs before the hive died.

At this point in the game, 2 of the kharaa players promptly called out "gg" and "we lost".

Me and a couple of other guys who could see the big picture pointed out that we had good res flow (3rts), 2 maxed chambers, and ~3 players nearing 50 res.

Suffice to say, we organised ourselves, hit all the exposed marine RTs, knocked down the marine AA and arms lab twice, and caused beacons. Once we had 4 fades about 2 minutes later, we went on to bash the lockdowns, put up a 2nd hive and even had an onos on the scene.

End result: win.
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14834Members
    A hard hit early to a alien team = a loss. they just can't rebuild like marines can. marines only feed a bit of RFK and lose a bit of res from recycling any lost buildings.
  • RavatarRavatar Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22473Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Faskalia+Jun 23 2005, 11:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Faskalia @ Jun 23 2005, 11:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If you f4 as soon as the game has been decided, you will be in the ready room at 8:00.

90% of all games are decided the moment the 2nd hive goes up or is destroyed, which is usually around the 8:00 minute mark. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS is too situational for any given point in the game to be the "deciding factor".

For example:

If you have 2 or more aliens with 60+ res and a second hive falls at minute 8, the game is by no means over.

If the second hive goes up and the marines cant keep many nodes on the map at minute 8, the game is by no means over.
  • NamronNamron Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10220Members
    Simply ban lame quitters. After a while they'll run out of (monitored) servers to play at.
  • meepmeep Join Date: 2004-02-04 Member: 26034Members
    In most strategy games like go or chess, it's considered rude to continue playing past the point where both competitors know the outcome has been decided.
  • DaJMastaDaJMasta Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34750Members, Constellation
    Yea, like checkmate?

One IP, no AA, no Arms Lab, and 8 higher life forms camping the base, go ahead, F4, it will allow the few who want to stay quicker respawns and the game will (hopefully) end within the minute.

I have played plenty of pub games where a lone skulk takes the last IP wile rines seige the last hive, or a ninja rine builds a new base in a hive while MS is under attack.

Don't give up unless the majority of the team is dead, and the base is locked down.
    Don't b**** and moan 5 mins into the game that one team is going to win (unless again, 2 minutes to game end almost gaurenteed).

If you don't like playing with this team, you can quit, but do not quit to the ready room and remain on the server, quitting hurts your team massively in some cases, and remaining to just quit some other time when it doesn't go your way is lame and incredibly rude.

Finally, never quit because someone dropped the wrong chamber or no one wants to comm. Instead make use of the chamber's abilities (All three chambers can produce a win) and if you have a problem with the comm, or don't have a comm, take it as an opportunity to learn yourself, or find another candidate and vote to eject the current one.

It is always better to remain in the game, your time really can't be so valueable as to be playing NS (by your own freewill) and think a game is a waste of time (so much of a waste that you can join another server and play several rounds). If it really is as hopeless as you say, the game will be over shortly, be patient. If the game doesn't end soon, it wasn't hopeless.
  • phunktionphunktion Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22883Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    losing badly on marines is fun.
    losing badly as aliens is torture
  • The_FinchThe_Finch Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8498Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-phunktion+Jun 26 2005, 03:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (phunktion @ Jun 26 2005, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> losing badly on marines is fun.
    losing badly as aliens is torture <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT, baby.

I'll F4 if the game is hopeless. It's mostly an alien problem since doing the Alamo with marines is actually quite fun.

Basically, the problem is with impotent marine teams. Rather than pressing their advantage and attacking the hive itself, they'll camp right outside the hive and camp for skulks while teching to whatever they want. Instead of just finishing the game, the aliens get camped with little hope of reprisal.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2005
    F4ing is bad sportsmanship. The other team put in the work to win the game, the least you can do is let them have the satisfaction of finishing it. Sure it sucks to lose, but it also sucks to win before the final push because everybody on the other team left. IMHO it is selfish to deprive the other team of the ability to finish it themselves by killing marine spawn or the last hive just because you're getting a little impatient. It's even more selfish to F4 when the rest of your team still wants to put up a fight.

If you want the game to end quickly, nobody's forcing you to fight back. Recycling the arms lab is a good way to cut a game short as marines; as for aliens, simply not killing them anymore does the trick. Maybe while your whole team is fighting back and feeling sorry for themselves, the marines are actually working hard to finish it and are only being delayed by your resistance? There's nothing wrong with wanting to move on to a more productive game, but there is absolutely no need to deprive the other team of a real victory. You're not supposed to enjoy losing, but you might as well let the winners enjoy winning.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Zek+Jun 26 2005, 08:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Zek @ Jun 26 2005, 08:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> F4ing is bad sportsmanship. The other team put in the work to win the game, the least you can do is let them have the satisfaction of finishing it. Sure it sucks to lose, but it also sucks to win before the final push because everybody on the other team left. IMHO it is selfish to deprive the other team of the ability to finish it themselves by killing marine spawn or the last hive just because you're getting a little impatient. It's even more selfish to F4 when the rest of your team still wants to put up a fight.

If you want the game to end quickly, nobody's forcing you to fight back. Recycling the arms lab is a good way to cut a game short as marines; as for aliens, simply not killing them anymore does the trick. Maybe while your whole team is fighting back and feeling sorry for themselves, the marines are actually working hard to finish it and are only being delayed by your resistance? There's nothing wrong with wanting to move on to a more productive game, but there is absolutely no need to deprive the other team of a real victory. You're not supposed to enjoy losing, but you might as well let the winners enjoy winning. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Im glad people like you are playtesters
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    Bite the hive. 8 skulks chewing on the ole super sac is I think the most sportsmanlike way to end the game. I think it shows more teamwork and camaraderie than a few F4's.
  • Real_PUAReal_PUA Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46255Members
    F4ing is bad sportsmanship but recycling or doing nothing is not? PLEASE. If you are not doing something to benefit your team then you are being a poor sport (or a nub/idiot). The slippery slope is not really that bad if the winning team ACTUALLY TRIES TO FINISH YOU OFF! If they are not trying to finish you off then THEY ARE BEING A BAD SPORT and therefore you must F4.

It's quite simple, if then winning team is being a jerk then you forfeit the match. If they are playing nice then you might as well fight back. It will end within a few minutes.
  • MaianMaian Join Date: 2003-02-27 Member: 14069Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Actually, slippery slope by itself is fine. Sure it sucks, but it's not gamebreaking. Slippery slope AND long end games is what does it for me.

I'm not the type of person to quit at the first sign of losing. In fact, I love playing games where the losing side manages to turn the tide - that's a far greater victory than a one-sided game. Unfortunately, the slippery slope prevents most of these epic games from happening.

I will quit, however, when it's obvious that my team has exhausted all options (or is simply incompetent) and the enemy team is taking too long. If we lose the second hive, I won't quit immediately. But I will if both hives are locked down, have most of the RTs, and we don't have fades or they have teched, AND they don't finish the game in a couple minutes.

If the other team is taking its damn good time finishing the game, I call that SADISTIC.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Flounder+Jun 27 2005, 01:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Flounder @ Jun 27 2005, 01:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Bite the hive. 8 skulks chewing on the ole super sac is I think the most sportsmanlike way to end the game. I think it shows more teamwork and camaraderie than a few F4's. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Huh? The end result is the same. Hell, without witnessing the act or checking the scoreboard afterwards, the marine team wouldn't even know the difference.

<!--QuoteBegin-Maian+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maian)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Actually, slippery slope by itself is fine. Sure it sucks, but it's not gamebreaking. Slippery slope AND long end games is what does it for me.

I'm not the type of person to quit at the first sign of losing. In fact, I love playing games where the losing side manages to turn the tide - that's a far greater victory than a one-sided game. Unfortunately, the slippery slope prevents most of these epic games from happening.

I will quit, however, when it's obvious that my team has exhausted all options (or is simply incompetent) and the enemy team is taking too long. If we lose the second hive, I won't quit immediately. But I will if both hives are locked down, have most of the RTs, and we don't have fades or they have teched, AND they don't finish the game in a couple minutes.

If the other team is taking its damn good time finishing the game, I call that SADISTIC.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Okay, now put yourself in the marines' shoes for a minute. You have map control and are clearly at a strong advantage, but you don't have high-end tech yet or are waiting on res to outfit your team. The aliens are getting impatient and telling you to finish it, but the only way they'll be satisfied is if you immediately beacon and do a simple shotty rush into a hive room full of bored skulks. Sure it might work, but if it goes wrong then the marines could be at a disadvantage and could lose some of their holdings. And even as the aliens whine for the game to end, they will gladly take any chance they can get to turn the game around. What if the marines fail a shotty rush, everybody on the team is dead, and the aliens take back a hive? Surely you can understand why they would rather wait a minute or two and play it safe.

So what do you do? Do you execute a poorly thought out rush just to cater to the whims of an impatient alien team, or do you maintain a safe pace and finish it decisively? Demoralized though the aliens may be, as long as they are putting up a fight the marines have every reason to take necessary precautions. Sometimes losing isn't fun; it happens. Just suck it up for a couple minutes and let the other team finish you, if only as a courtesy. And don't just jump to the conclusion that the other team is just messing around and torturing you for fun; in reality that happens very rarely, and the aliens are simply exagerrating their own helplessness as an excuse to vent at the other team.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    feel free to f4

don't get suprised when you get bant
  • MaianMaian Join Date: 2003-02-27 Member: 14069Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--QuoteBegin-Zek+Jun 27 2005, 05:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Zek @ Jun 27 2005, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Okay, now put yourself in the marines' shoes for a minute. You have map control and are clearly at a strong advantage, but you don't have high-end tech yet or are waiting on res to outfit your team. The aliens are getting impatient and telling you to finish it, but the only way they'll be satisfied is if you immediately beacon and do a simple shotty rush into a hive room full of bored skulks. Sure it might work, but if it goes wrong then the marines could be at a disadvantage and could lose some of their holdings. And even as the aliens whine for the game to end, they will gladly take any chance they can get to turn the game around. What if the marines fail a shotty rush, everybody on the team is dead, and the aliens take back a hive? Surely you can understand why they would rather wait a minute or two and play it safe.

So what do you do? Do you execute a poorly thought out rush just to cater to the whims of an impatient alien team, or do you maintain a safe pace and finish it decisively? Demoralized though the aliens may be, as long as they are putting up a fight the marines have every reason to take necessary precautions. Sometimes losing isn't fun; it happens. Just suck it up for a couple minutes and let the other team finish you, if only as a courtesy. And don't just jump to the conclusion that the other team is just messing around and torturing you for fun; in reality that happens very rarely, and the aliens are simply exagerrating their own helplessness as an excuse to vent at the other team. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    At that point I won't F4. If marines have map control yet still don't have high tech, aliens can still win with fades and some luck. However, if they do have map control and high tech, it's almost always a lost cause. The only way they could lose is if the comm quit and some idiot jumped in, or they lose a couple players, or some other disaster - and if I win like that as an alien, it doesn't feel like a victory.

But I do have something against people who have this obsession with waiting for high tech when they could easily finish the game without it. For example, marines have stable map control and can manage to defend off fades with ease. Then it's fine for aliens to quit. I don't care if the marines get **** off here 'cause the aliens are even more ****. Didn't get to tech up? Well, too bad. Happens in strategy games all the time.
  • RavatarRavatar Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22473Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-phunktion+Jun 26 2005, 03:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (phunktion @ Jun 26 2005, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> losing badly on marines is fun.
    losing badly as aliens is torture <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    qft
  • CatastropheCatastrophe Join Date: 2005-05-09 Member: 51266Members
    edited June 2005
    There is generally no need to f4 as this is usually how games are lost. The team that is slightly losing, and could pull back with a good team effort has several players who f4 leaving the team NO chance to win, a few more leave and the game is officially turned to poop.

The only reasons i see to fit to f4 or leave is:
    1. You have to urgently leave for some reason, tea's ready, you have to go out, etc
    2. Their 3 onos and 2 fades are spawn camping and messing about not destroying your buildings (or similar for opposite teams)
  • DaJMastaDaJMasta Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34750Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-CommunistWithAGun+Jun 26 2005, 09:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Jun 26 2005, 09:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Zek+Jun 26 2005, 08:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Zek @ Jun 26 2005, 08:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> F4ing is bad sportsmanship. The other team put in the work to win the game, the least you can do is let them have the satisfaction of finishing it. Sure it sucks to lose, but it also sucks to win before the final push because everybody on the other team left. IMHO it is selfish to deprive the other team of the ability to finish it themselves by killing marine spawn or the last hive just because you're getting a little impatient. It's even more selfish to F4 when the rest of your team still wants to put up a fight.

If you want the game to end quickly, nobody's forcing you to fight back. Recycling the arms lab is a good way to cut a game short as marines; as for aliens, simply not killing them anymore does the trick. Maybe while your whole team is fighting back and feeling sorry for themselves, the marines are actually working hard to finish it and are only being delayed by your resistance? There's nothing wrong with wanting to move on to a more productive game, but there is absolutely no need to deprive the other team of a real victory. You're not supposed to enjoy losing, but you might as well let the winners enjoy winning. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Im glad people like you are playtesters <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Complete agreement.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    When I f4:
    1.Incompetent team screws up game, doesn't listen, build sc, etc. etc. And HAs hmg camping
    2.INCREDIBLE SPAWN CAMPING OF THE IPS
    3.When there are no higher lifeforms and 2 hive lockdowns and all the rts eleced, and HA MARINES CAMPING BASE

Basically, I only f4 when the opposition does not have the competence to end the damn game, or when I have to do chores