Any Theories Out There....

BVAlphaGeekBVAlphaGeek Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7735Members
I was just wondering if the development group had any theories about the alleged performance differences between NS server under linux and NS server on the Win32 platform. I have never run across an application that didn't run at least as well under linux as Win32 and the HL server itself doesn't seem to have this problem. Any hints as to what might have been added to the NS server that would seem to have an affinity for Microsoft products?

Comments

• MellonpoprMellonpopr Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2304Members
    from what I've read, Flayra is getting up to speed on Linux optimizations. So hopefully you linux guy will start seeing the cpu improvements soon.
  • Pugn@ciouSPugn@ciouS Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9182Members
    From what I understand, HL _anything_ runs better under linux. Just have to know how to code to optimize for it.
  • LiquidFusionLiquidFusion Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3139Members
    yeah linux does handle things much better, there is one slight problem with this though. directx doesn't work on linux. Thats why most clients a re for windows and most servers are for linux.
  • greydmiyugreydmiyu Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9234Members
    Except DirectX is a pile of steaming dog excrement compared to OpenGL which *is* on Linux. That's time and again from developers of games. I may rag on Carmack about his company's lack of games (but great tech demos for their game engines) but when it comes to programming fast game engines he knows his stuff. IIRC he made the concious choice to go only OpenGL for Doom 3 because DirectX was so poor for the work he does and he wanted to make a public and definable stand on the issue.
  • BattleTechBattleTech Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4137Members
    Honestly, DirectX is a peice of crap.. OpenGL is FAR more superior and it doesn't take up much CPU resources.
  • GoleXGoleX Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7681Members
    As far as NS goes, the Linux server does use more CPU then the Win 32, especially since 1.02 where not many Linux folks noticed a change in CPU usage, but alot of Windows people did.