The Pg Buffet

Real_PUAReal_PUA Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46255Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Increase their spawn que, gain RFK</div> This tactic is simple.

When marines get a pg in/near your hive you normally kill them off and take out the PG right away. On large pubs, you frequently have 4-5 lifeforms munching on the PG...heres what you do when that happens: if the com isn't smart enough to recyle the PG just let them phase through and instantly kill them. It's simple, fun, and smart.

Obviously in some situations this isnt the right move, but many times it is. You increase the spawn que for rines, gain RFK and force the com to waste res on equipment. Additionally, if they have a multiple PG network, you have effectively severed it and they will HAVE to recyle that PG.

Enjoy.

Related question: When marines get a pg up outside your hive before the 2nd hive is complete and there is atleast 4 packs of mines on the PG what do you do? Should you suicide to blow up the mines?

Comments

• ShotInTheHeadShotInTheHead Join Date: 2005-04-29 Member: 50469Members
    it depends.

if you have a gorge nearby, he shoudl be spitting the mines, if not, make sure nobody is nearby (you dont want to get ur whole team kileld by a single mine do u?) and kill yourself.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited May 2005
    lame up the pg with ocs i guess?
  • keep_it_Gangstakeep_it_Gangsta Join Date: 2003-06-23 Member: 17632Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Lofung+May 25 2005, 07:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Lofung @ May 25 2005, 07:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> lame up the pg with ocs i guess? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would imagine that would be quite difficult to do in practise
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if you have a healing option, carapace makes you survive a mine quite nicely, as skulk.
  • MamboKingMamboKing Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27169Members
    edited May 2005
    Whoops missed the part of your post that said "large game".
  • Real_PUAReal_PUA Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46255Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-MamboKing+May 28 2005, 07:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MamboKing @ May 28 2005, 07:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You're going to be sitting around doing nothing for a long time. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I made it obvious that you are going to have to use your brain a <i>little</i> when whoring a PG... If no one is phasing through just kill the damn thing and the problem of "sitting around doing nothing" is solved.

I have done this several times in real games and it works. It is up to you to test it out and see what situations it works best in. Even just letting one or two more marines phase through is worth the RFK.

If I am posting a tip on this forum it means I have tested it multiple times and it works. If you have a better idea and/or feed back on this tip then please post it, but please quit the theorizing and go PLAY.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    edited May 2005
    I'm usually the one shouting at my team to stop munching on the PG, but there's always some deaf guy who keeps munching furiously as if anything he does in life matters. This tactic always works as long as you have 2 aliens on opposite sides aiming upwards (especially in beta 6), or even just one fade or onos and the PG is against a wall. Unless they have HA...

Edit: About the mines. Ignore the mines and gas the marines. If they mine the PG it's safe until hive 2.
  • BallistoBallisto Join Date: 2003-05-19 Member: 16503Members
    Agreed, agreed. End game ip whoring is pointless, this is handy though.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    I usually damage the pg down to until it needs one last bite, then when a marine goes tru I destroy it leaving no escape for the marine.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin-Svenpa+May 31 2005, 02:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Svenpa @ May 31 2005, 02:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I usually damage the pg down to until it needs one last bite, then when a marine goes tru I destroy it leaving no escape for the marine. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and then he kills you and builds another PG in it's place... don't get fancy.
  • Asal_The_UnforgivingAsal_The_Unforgiving Join Date: 2003-03-26 Member: 14903Members
    Camp camp, RFK, camp....what happens if something goes wrong?

First and most important, eliminate the threat to your hive. This concern must be above all others.

What if an HA phases through, with an HMG? Smashing suprised skulks doesn't take much with that, and it may happen. Or perhaps a marine pops up from walking instead of phasing, which I've been known to do if things start getting choppy. It's a VERY good way to clear a phase for friends. Or simply build a new phase nearby.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin-Asal The Unforgiving+Jun 1 2005, 01:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Asal The Unforgiving @ Jun 1 2005, 01:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Camp camp, RFK, camp....what happens if something goes wrong?

First and most important, eliminate the threat to your hive. This concern must be above all others.

What if an HA phases through, with an HMG? Smashing suprised skulks doesn't take much with that, and it may happen. Or perhaps a marine pops up from walking instead of phasing, which I've been known to do if things start getting choppy. It's a VERY good way to clear a phase for friends. Or simply build a new phase nearby. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    exactly....
  • ArmageddonArmageddon Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33055Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Real PUA+May 24 2005, 11:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Real PUA @ May 24 2005, 11:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> This tactic is simple.

When marines get a pg in/near your hive you normally kill them off and take out the PG right away. On large pubs, you frequently have 4-5 lifeforms munching on the PG...heres what you do when that happens: if the com isn't smart enough to recyle the PG just let them phase through and instantly kill them. It's simple, fun, and smart.

Obviously in some situations this isnt the right move, but many times it is. You increase the spawn que for rines, gain RFK and force the com to waste res on equipment. Additionally, if they have a multiple PG network, you have effectively severed it and they will HAVE to recyle that PG.

Enjoy.

Related question: When marines get a pg up outside your hive before the 2nd hive is complete and there is atleast 4 packs of mines on the PG what do you do? Should you suicide to blow up the mines? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bad idea, imo. Often times on pubs, the comm will research hand nades, drop gls, research armor upgrades (including HA possibly), or if they're really good, spam meds around the phase. If you let them get that phase up near the hive, kiss your **** good bye.
  • Real_PUAReal_PUA Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46255Members
    If you think this is a bad idea go and try it 10 times to see how it works, post your feed back in this thread.

Quit the theoretical BS. If you tried this tactic and a suprise HA came through and pwned you then tell us about it, but all this talk of hypothetical scenarios is worthless.

Real experience >>> theory

And I did state that this is not always a good idea, its just another technique to add to your tool box.
  • Asal_The_UnforgivingAsal_The_Unforgiving Join Date: 2003-03-26 Member: 14903Members
    I've had suprises phase through, as well as the occasional walker marine. Don't think it doesn't happen. My responses are from experience, and I'd rather not let a hive be in danger longer than it has to be.
  • DaJMastaDaJMasta Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34750Members, Constellation
    It seems to work well. I pub alot and end up chomping alot of un-recycled PGs, I also end up ignoring heavy weapons in base because the comm is pushing us to phase thru with 3 skulks and a fade on the PG, and no nades.

I wouldn't stop chomping unless your low on adrenaline, it always help to have a couple remaining bites in case a competent marine comes through.

I would say gorgies stay away, if theres only a few people, have them focus on it, maybe with a lerk for support.

Whether or not you kill it, the most important thing is to let your team know it's there. There has been so many times where I want to scream at teammates, saying it in voicechat is never enough, even multiple times, to get half the team to eliminate an IMMEDIATE threat sometimes. Tell teammates, work it alone, if u get backup, u have a good chance of winning (vs. the PG at least....)
  • ScyllaScylla Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18942Members
    I have initialized this tactic often on a large server (10vs10). If you have 4+ skulks on the pg it’s pretty secure and you will force the commander to recycle the pg. Only a beacon with all marines phasing can break this defence and only for a small time because the losses on the marine side are much larger than your own losses or a HA with grenade launcher. With hand grenades it’s another story.

Then on the other hand, I have seen a beaconed complete marine team with 3 HA’s dieing through 4 skulks and one fade camping the pg.
  • SLizerSLizer Join Date: 2003-11-07 Member: 22363Members, Constellation
    This is bit like pandora`s box you can let it live but you may suffer huge loss for a few points of RFK. In pubs this works almost always unless marines have someone who is enough smart and lucky to get those mines placed to next to the PG. In pubs I dont eat safe pg because someone will sure come and eat it soon but I get the new res for the lerk or the new lerk. In matches you dont take this kind of risks

Here`s small summary

<u><b>The PG buffè</b></u>

Somewhat exotic alien tactic that resorts to marines lack of situational awarness. Idea is to leave the pg operational and munch all marines in good camping spot (eg. top of pg) when they phase thorugh, you can quite easily eat rine in 0.8s(time between fastest use of PG)

Pros:
    -Free RFK
    .can cripple rine team badly
    -Rines are not going elsewhere but spawn que

Cons:
    -You can lose the PG:
    - You might lose hive
    - you loose territory control
    -Like playing with fire

This is nice thing to do if you know that the enemy is
    not the smartest, but still bit dodgy. Adds exitement
  • afratnikovafratnikov Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18931Members
    Marines, GET HAND GRENADES!

Follow these easy instructions:
    1. Remove pin
    2. Use phase
    3. Place bomb under your feet
    4. Die
  • BallistoBallisto Join Date: 2003-05-19 Member: 16503Members
    I've had some experience with this in mind... and you should only do it if you have a LOT of aliens there. If a marine can survive long enough (whether by tough armor or lack of aliens) to jump off the pg, then another can get through with no trouble. And another, and another, and soon they have it back. Comms can do this easily with semi-decent marines by beaconing and yelling at everyone to phase.

So in conclusion: unless you have enough aliens biting to instagib any marine who comes through, this is a no-no.

However: for some fun, camp another pg during a hive rush - for instance the one in double res. This is the stage where marines trickle through as they spawn, so you can handle them one by one. You'll kill hopefully 2-3 before you die, and will cost the marine enough in time and men that your team can take back the OTHER phase gate.