Is It My Router Or Isp That Sucks

CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
edited June 2005 in Off-Topic
Every damn time my router receives a new lease for a good 20 minutes I can't get DNS to work. After that it just STARTS working again.

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->  
Date: June 3, 2005
Time: 1:26:24
LOGS      

Connection Entries

CURRENT MODEM STATUS
DSL Modem Status....... Up
PPP Session Status...... n/a
Connection Type......... Bridge
Time set from............. Boot
Time since last boot.... 0 days, 0 hrs: 4 mins: 27 secs

EVENTS
The first number is the Event time (days,hrs:min:sec) since boot.
Events are listed starting from the most recent. **********************************************************************

0,0:4:2 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=42)

0,0:3:56 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=39)

0,0:3:51 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=36)

0,0:3:48 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=33)

0,0:3:44 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=30)

0,0:3:35 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=27)

0,0:3:33 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=24)

0,0:3:29 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=21)

0,0:3:20 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=18)

0,0:3:17 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=15)

0,0:3:13 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=12)

0,0:1:32 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=9)

0,0:1:31 Failed on DNS lookup for 'tock.usno.navy.mil'

0,0:1:31 Modem unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out')

0,0:1:11 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=6)

0,0:0:59 Failed on DNS lookup for 'tock.usno.navy.mil'

0,0:0:59 Modem unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out')

0,0:0:56 LAN PC unable to communicate with DNS Server.(error = 'connection timed out', count=3)

0,0:0:27 DHCPC_eventHookRtn: New Lease Received

0,0:0:0 VLYNQ_WLAN: successfully started<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

edit: Also, why the hell is there military related sites trying to contact me all the time?

Comments

• MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    Because you're a communist.
  • PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-CommunistWithAGun+Jun 2 2005, 11:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Jun 2 2005, 11:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> edit: Also, why the hell is there military related sites trying to contact me all the time? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... hah... ha

Good times, good times.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-MedHead+Jun 3 2005, 01:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MedHead @ Jun 3 2005, 01:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Because you're a communist. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Im seriously considering that as a fact. Man, totalitarianism sucks.
  • NecroticNecrotic Big Girl&#39;s Blouse Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 53Members, NS1 Playtester
    Your router is trying to connect to tock.usno.navy.mil not the other way around, the million dollar question is why. You been trying to hax the government? Second hand router from somebody living on a military base? Check that all your routers settings are correct for your ISP especially where it concerns DNS lookup. For me and most UK ISP's you just need to use auto-discovered DNS servers make sure you haven't got user defined ones set or anything bizarre like that.

Had any powercuts recently? My router likes to default to factory settings when we have a power fluctuation but thats mainly down to it being a crappy Zoom box but you never know.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Necrotic+Jun 3 2005, 01:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Necrotic @ Jun 3 2005, 01:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Your router is trying to connect to tock.usno.navy.mil not the other way around, the million dollar question is why. You been trying to hax the government? Second hand router from somebody living on a military base? Check that all your routers settings are correct for your ISP especially where it concerns DNS lookup. For me and most UK ISP's you just need to use auto-discovered DNS servers make sure you haven't got user defined ones set or anything bizarre like that.

Had any powercuts recently? My router likes to default to factory settings when we have a power fluctuation but thats mainly down to it being a crappy Zoom box but you never know. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well I really didn't want to bring this up but...

A while back I was checking these logs and found at least 10 different .mils for EACH branch of the military. I've restored to factory defaults probably 10 times in the last year for various reasons.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Have you tried to set
    a manual DNS?
    Google is <a href='http://www.dnsstuff.com/' target='_blank'>your friend</a>.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Comprox+Jun 3 2005, 01:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Comprox @ Jun 3 2005, 01:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Have you tried to set
    a manual DNS?
    Google is <a href='http://www.dnsstuff.com/' target='_blank'>your friend</a>. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No because I was told "Not to touch it" by my ISP :\

Im not networking stupid but I am very confused and tired because, not only does manual DNS not help, this has been becomming more and more frequent and I cant decide if its At the layer of my ISP, my Router or my PC.
  • NecroticNecrotic Big Girl&#39;s Blouse Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 53Members, NS1 Playtester
    Your router is trying to get into the military intranet system evidently, my avice is to burn it before we get a sequel to Wargames, either that or just run Tic-Tac-Toe on your PC.
    Well, thanks for the help. Ill see if it does it again tomarrow with the DNS.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    Thats doesn't have to be an "or" question...
  • antifreezeantifreeze The guy with the goods&#33; Join Date: 2003-05-12 Member: 16232Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-CommunistWithAGun+Jun 3 2005, 07:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CommunistWithAGun @ Jun 3 2005, 07:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> edit: Also, why the hell is there military related sites trying to contact me all the time? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Install PeerGuardian, it's shocking the ammount of strange organisations trying to connect.
  • BurncycleBurncycle Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9759Members, NS1 Playtester
    It's trying to connect to tock.usno.navy.mil to find the current time.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--QuoteBegin-Burncycle+Jun 3 2005, 06:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Burncycle @ Jun 3 2005, 06:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It's trying to connect to tock.usno.navy.mil to find the current time. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aw. That's so cute. I don't really know why, but it is.
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    I had similar problems with my DNS stuff.
    Eventually I just installed my own dns server on my machine -> <a href='http://ntcanuck.com/' target='_blank'>Trewalk DNS</a>

I've had zero problems ever since.
  • raz0rraz0r Join Date: 2003-07-24 Member: 18395Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-UnCritical+Jun 3 2005, 12:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UnCritical @ Jun 3 2005, 12:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I had similar problems with my DNS stuff.
    Eventually I just installed my own dns server on my machine -> <a href='http://ntcanuck.com/' target='_blank'>Trewalk DNS</a>

I've had zero problems ever since. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hmm, i think i'll try this.

For some reason, there is <b>one</b> site that seems to not like my DNS.
    I had a little talk with one of the webmasters, and he said it was something to do with my DNS server not recognizing the changes he made, so i'm stuck with the version from may 1st