Help With Installing Ns

UkiyashunUkiyashun Join Date: 2005-05-17 Member: 51822Members
I have HL2 installed to my steam , is it possible to play NS ?

Comments

• spinviperspinviper Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16151Members
    edited May 2005
    You need to have a valid copy of HALF LIFE ONE for NS to work. Just having HL2 won't cut it as HL2 has a totaly different engine than Hl1.

So, No.
  • Lt_PatchLt_Patch Join Date: 2005-02-07 Member: 40286Members
    UNLESS, you bought one of the editions that contain the Valve back catalogue.

Which include, HL2 Silver, and Gold (Purchased Via Steam)
    And a couple of the Limited Editions.

Basically, if you can't play Half-Life 1 Original (not HL:Source), then you can't play NS.
  • LalamileLalamile Join Date: 2005-05-18 Member: 51933Members
    I have a different question on a similar note. Will I be running HL original, or HL2 when running the final version of NS. Well, is there any way I can borrow a friends account that has both HL1 and HL2 on it, run it, and use that to get all the files I need, then just run my steam account, with only HL2?
  • Gamma4Gamma4 Join Date: 2005-05-11 Member: 51457Members
    edited May 2005
    No. However, if you buy Counter-Strike (Not Source), then you can play NS. It costs about 5 dollars, well worth the fun of playing NS.

But when NS:Source Comes out, then you can play it on HL2.
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Gamma4+May 18 2005, 10:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Gamma4 @ May 18 2005, 10:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> No. However, if you buy Counter-Strike (Not Source), then you can play NS. It costs about 5 dollars, well worth the fun of playing NS.

But when NS:Source Comes out, then you can play it on HL2. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, just buy Half-Life instead. It's just as cheap and you'll get every single non-Source Steam game.
  • Lt_PatchLt_Patch Join Date: 2005-02-07 Member: 40286Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Lalamile+May 18 2005, 11:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Lalamile @ May 18 2005, 11:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have a different question on a similar note. Will I be running HL original, or HL2 when running the final version of NS. Well, is there any way I can borrow a friends account that has both HL1 and HL2 on it, run it, and use that to get all the files I need, then just run my steam account, with only HL2? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Natural Selection V3.0Final currently runs on the Half-Life (Classic) Engine. Therefore, you will need an account with a correctly bound Half-Life CD Key (HL Platinum did not have a seperate CS key, to my knowledge).

Counter-Strike (Classic) is a retail license for the Half-Life (Classic) engine, and should therefore run Natural Selection.

When NS is released using the Source Engine, then you will need a correctly bound Half-Life 2 CD Key. Seeing as the whole mod will need to be rewritten for this to work, you should have a while before you need to buy HL2.