Question About Routers

MantaManta Join Date: 2005-01-12 Member: 35056Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A little problem here</div> This is sort of a tech support thing, but it's not directly related to NS.

I got a new wireless router last Saturday, Linksys WRK54G. I still keep my desktop connected by cable, but use the wireless for laptops.

Recently, I had some problems connecting to servers in Steam, so I took some advice, and messed with enabling some ports. Typed in the router's address in the browser, changed some settings, and saved. It timed out while saving.

So I exit the browser and try to access the router again. This time, it just times out. I can't even enter the settings; I'm not asked for a password or anything.

I go upstairs to check my wireless. All of a sudden, it's not working. I suspect this has something to do with the ports I opened. I go back down and find that I still cannot access the router (for me, 192.168.1.1). It just times out.

I posted this on LM, but I'm hoping I could get some help from a larger group. Any (real) ideas appreciated.

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Try pinging the loopback address and tell us what it says or does. (I think most are 192.168.1.1, at least, mine is.)
  • MantaManta Join Date: 2005-01-12 Member: 35056Members
    I have no idea how to do that. Could you tell me how?

And yes, 192.168.1.1 should be the default.
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    edited May 2005
    You can reset the router, which should probably work (should revert to factory default); just go to the router manufacturer's site or it might be in the manual. You might also consider upgrading your router's firmware (but you need a working router in the first place, for this) - although that's more for if the firmware adds features or specifically disolves a problem you're experiencing.

My D-Link at home has a reset pin in the back, that you press with a pencil or pen, then unplug the power while holding the pin in and then plug it back in (...with some timings involved). However, you should really look at the Linksys website and look for your router's model number.

...and I think home is usually 192.168.0.1 ...but I'm not really on a router right now...that should be in your manual as well (...whatever you type in to get the login box).

[edit] Not sure if this is what's intended but you can ping the address by going to Start->Run typing in cmd and then ping <ipaddress>
    edited May 2005
    Oh, I didn't know you had to pull it out while still holding it down. I'll probably try that while nobody's on the connection. Maybe reverting to factory defaults will work.

And I'm sure the default is 192.168.1.1. That's what I used before. As for firmware, my router came at the latest version.

The weird thing is that I still can't connect to any servers in Steam, but everything else (with the exception of wireless connections) works.

I pinged it. 4 packets sent, 0 received. The request timed out all 4 times.
  • BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
    For a Linksys wireless router, which I have, to reset it just go and unplug the power cord from the router for about 15 seconds. I've solved numerous networking problems by doing this "soft reset".
    I don't think that'll solve it, unless it resets port settings.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Wow, if it isn't replying to its own address theres something really wrong somewhere, have you flashed it lately?
    Flashed it? Again, I'm clueless about that. However, it's relatively new. I just got it a week ago, so the only source of problems should be the changes I made to the enabled ports.
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    If you reset it (try holding the reset button for 10 seconds; if that doesn't work, then unplug it from power for 10 seconds), all the settings will go back to the factory default.

Here is the firmware upgrade for your router:
    <a href='http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=219' target='_blank'>http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=219</a>

Install this. Make sure you follow the directions exactly. If something goes wrong during firmware upgrades it's possible to permanently screw it up.
    Thanks, but like I posted earlier, the router came installed with the latest firmware (1.55.02). I haven't installed anything new recently.

I'll restate what happened: I went and opened a few ports, according to the directions on the Steam website. I enabled them and all, then saved the settings.

Unless installing firmware will reset settings, then I doubt that will work. I will, however, give it a try after I try holding reset for factory settings.

Thanks for all the help.
  • NuketheplaceNuketheplace Join Date: 2002-09-02 Member: 1266Members
    I'm going to have to go with the rest of the guys on this one. Have you tried to reset your router? That should fix it.
    And by reset they mean not turn the power on and off, there is usually a small button in a secluded place that resets the routers OS. and restores it to factory defaults
  • ElvenThiefElvenThief aka Elven Thief (ex. NS Programmer) Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8754Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Troubleshooting protocol: if you're not able to ping, be sure you're getting an ip address and that the address you have isn't one that's left over from before the problem started.
    Do ipconfig /renew in console. If you get an ip address, but can't ping the router, you have a firewall issue or something corrupted with networking setup in windows.
    If you don't get an ip address, try to manually set one and ping again. (Suggest 192.168.1.5 for the ip and 192.168.1.1 for gateway and DNS).
    Resetting a router can also cause failure.... I've worked with some routers that fail to reset properly and fry themselves (Actiontec, for teh lose). Note, I have yet to see a linksys die...
    However, you shouldn't have to reset your Linksys more than once if it's because of the port forwarding you set up. The reset is usually a recessed switch that you'll have to hold down while power is on. A paper clip or pen will usually work...

You can probably skip to the reset part, but I generally find that not investigating all avenues usually leads to more work in the end when you've overlooked something....
    edited May 2005
    Well, I held down reset on my router. After that, I tried getting into 192.168.1.1 again, but it didn't even time out - I just could not connect, like I had no connection at all. When I pinged the location, it gave me "Destination host is unreachable" or something. If anyone could help me out with what I did wrong on the reset... basically, all I did was leave all the cables and the power attached, then hit reset.

Anyway, the router is either damaged or just weird, so I've been forced to temporarily replace it with my old non-wireless router until I fix the problem.

EDIT: Since replacing it with my old router, checking the DNS addresses to input for the new router (in case it worked), then replacing the new router back into the network, the wireless seemed to work again. I have no clue why. Any answers?

Oh, and thanks for the advice. The router works again.