Great Documentary Series You Have Seen

StormLiongStormLiong Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11569Members
edited May 2005 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">list some</div> Out of a previous post <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92834' target='_blank'>Thing On Discovery Channel</a>, I thought I start up this thread for ppl to list out some great TV documentaries they have seen.

For me the greatest documentary series must be the <a href='http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/index.shtml' target='_blank'>Horizon</a> series. It does really indepth science and non-science investigation.

Some other interesting documentaries I have seen are

<a href='http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/science/body/bodyshock_mutants.html' target='_blank'>Human Mutants</a> - really interesting about mutations in human beings. There is one part where it shows a musuem full of mutant babies which was amazing and stomach churning at the same time.

Although documentaries I really enjoy are the military ones. Those are so sweet. Especially the one highlithing the competition between Boeing and Skunkworks.

Oh and might I add that somehow I find US documentaries had more drama and hollywoodness to it compared to UK ones. Look at a National Geographic and a BBC documentary.

Comments

• DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    Perhaps the coolest documentary I've ever seen was on Discovery HD. It was on a platoon of US marine tanks from when we last invaded Iraq. Had some footage of blowing up abandonded iraqi tanks, ammo depots, etc. All in HD. Looked awesome.

But everything looks stunning on Discovery HD... Hell I sat around and watched an hour long show about mircats or something...
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20284Members
    Blue Planet has to be the most amazing documentary series I've ever seen. The Future is Wild was awesome too. Actually most big projects the Discovery Channel undertakes seem to turn out brilliant. It's unfortunate how much they're trying to keep Wayne Barlowe a secret in the new alien one.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-BloodySloth+May 4 2005, 04:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BloodySloth @ May 4 2005, 04:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Blue Planet has to be the most amazing documentary... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe I've seen it, but I can't remember what it's about.

Anything on the Discovery channel tickles my fancy. Sadly, I've never seen anything in HD. The Future is Wild was awesome, and the many Dinosaur one's were great but kinda redundant.
  • BanzaiBanzai Join Date: 2004-10-19 Member: 32355Members
    The Elegant Universe

It was on PBS, great show about relitivity, the forces of the universe, and the
    origins and developement of string theory.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20284Members
    edited May 2005
    Blue Planet was a miniseries, each episode was about a different facet of ocean life, one would be about the deep deep sea, another about the arctic, etc. Not sure how many episodes there were, actually, but the ones I saw were full of just awe-inspiring camerawork. The narrative was great too. Only bad thing that I could see was they sometimes added in sound effects that sounded just blatantly added-in to cover an otherwise silent scene.

I agree the dinosaur ones were excellent, as I've always been a fan of the beasties, but they just keep pumping out so many they somehow make it mundane.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited May 2005
    Also, there is this one which may be kind of more in the realm of investigative reporting rather than a documentary, but I doubt I'll ever have another valid reason to link it on these boards:

Penn & Teller's <a href='http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/home.do' target='_blank'>Bull****</a>
    (FYI, for some reason Showtime's web site isn't viewable outside of the US. Not my fault, so shut up Pulse)

For those who can't see it, here's a snip from the about page:

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->By their own admission, Penn & Teller have been dying to do a show like this. Confirmed skeptics and pro-science atheists (they refer to God as "an imaginary friend"), these magicians are big fans of the art of debunking.

In Penn & Teller: ****!, the crusaders utilize principles of magic and trickery, as well as good old fashioned "hidden camera" sting operations, to smoke out these nonsense peddlers and reveal how they operate.

They also call upon the scientific community for back-up. Penn & Teller have discovered that the evidence debunking bogus operatives exists in countless books, scientific papers and government-sponsored exposés - research that nobody else has presented to the public with such zeal, passion, and conviction.

As our increasingly anti-intellectual, anti-science culture moves on each day to new crackpot subject matters, Penn & Teller are there to aggressively shoot down whack-jobs and fuzzy thinkers, no matter where they originate.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A very entertaining, funny, and sometimes suprising show. Sure they tackle things like psychics talking to the dead and alien abductions, things you expect to be a load of bs, but they also take a serious look at some other things that most people just accept as bad/good without a sufficient amount of evidence to back it up, such as recycling and second hand smoke. Even if you don't agree with them at the very least it gets people talking, which I think is always good.

[edit]
    For those who can't see the main page, here's the <a href='http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:5CxXjgz2VZgJ:www.sho.com/site/ptbs/' target='_blank'>Google Cached</a> copy.
    [/edit]