Novel Idea

greydmiyugreydmiyu Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9234Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Don't kill the teleporter</div> We all have this problem in the late game. The humans are contained in their little hidey-hole and are guarding the entrances like nobodies bidness. There's no back door into their area and so we have a 1 hour siege just to complete a game everyone knows is over.

But did'ja ever notice that blue glowing thingy WAYYYY behind the sentry guns? Did'ja ever step on one by accident earlier on when clearing a hive? Did'ja notice you appeared smack dab in the middle of their base?

Bingo, instant back door. So why not the next time one is clearing out a hive or forward base that has one of these transporters to call for a gorge to ring it with OCs backed with DCs. The effect is that the enemy cannot teleport out. Even a HA will die before taking anything out from a circle of OCs. Meanwhile until the commander get's smart you can teleport in coordinated with your fellows up front for some added mayhem.

Plausible?

Comments

• InjuryInjury Mahou Shoujo Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7992Banned
    That may work, however if you don't mind I'd like to poke a few holes in that tactic. Due to the time lag when you transport through the phase gate, you'll be somewhat disoriented (is it just me?) and take a couple, if not a ton of hits from turrets and Marines. You'll also have to keep an eye out for the general population of the Marines. If you're up against a smart commander, he'll recycle the building as soon as he notices (which is flexible in time) and if one of your teammates steps into it, there will undoubtedly be a marine yelling something about the phase gate.

What you propose is very bold and a high risk attack. Not bad, but you'll most likely need a highly coordinated alien team to pull this one off, perhaps at a squad or tournament match? Good idea though, I've not seen a massed alien attack through a phase gate yet.
  • MoroseMorose Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5961Members
    Won't the OC's blow the Phase Gate away anyway? I don't know, since I haven't tried it... but if the Phase Gate is marked hostile I would think they would.
    I forgot about that, but yes I think they will. Thanks for the reminder.
  • goosegoose Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1804Members
    good tatic i have heard somthing similar before where the teleporter was sorounded by onos' to kill anything coming through. also if you activate zenocide before entering you can jump away from the teleporter and blow up near some marines or other buildings.
  • InexorableInexorable Join Date: 2002-09-28 Member: 1360Members
    This will work 100 times better when Xenocide gets fixed.
    I agree, Xenocide is one of my favorite "weapons", it just doesn't work so well at the moment.
  • Canadianmonk3yCanadianmonk3y Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8465Members
    ANY decent commander would immediately:
    A: Make a move to use the portal for exactly the same purpose as the aliens would, but in the opposite direction.
    B: Recycle the portal, for some free resources back.
    Either way, unless the marines have a horrible commander, the gates are nearly useless to you once you have captured the area that they are in...
  • CrazedMonkOnaMissionCrazedMonkOnaMission Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7429Members
    Yes, make sure you have the teleporter defended or paths leading out of the room blocked. Since a comm could organize a very effective breakout strategy with HAHMG.
  • ParasiteParasite Join Date: 2002-04-13 Member: 431Members
    Just destroy it and waste thier resources. If it gets recycled they lose nothing I believe.
  • KilomanKiloman Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7583Members
    I've used this tactic before actually...

3 Fades standing on our end, waiting to attack incoming units - most of them don't even make it off the pad.

Two Fades jump on to the pad and bile bomb as fast as possible one they are through. Remember that if you stand still on the pad, you will be taken back again - and the time delay before that happens is just about enough to spam enough Bile to empty out an Adrenaline'd Fade.

Once you come back, hit up a Defence chamber or Gorge, let your energy recharge, and head out agan. Works great for taking out their base from the inside, while sustaining minimal losses.
  • WurmspawnWurmspawn Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 19Members
    canadianmonk, you'll be surprised how often a commander will forget about a lone phase gate, especially if your hive mates are keeping him busy with harassment elsewhere.
    and for that matter, why even wait for the area to be conquered? often you can sneak or run (celerity enhanced) past those turrets into the phase gate. with celerity, the disorientation doesnt have to be all that bad. dodging bullets by acting drunk is great fun.
    and even if you don't succeed all that well, you'll have at least annoyed and distracted the lugheads and potentially made them rethink some strategies. in a war of attrition, confusion is key.