Dual Core Cpu

UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
<a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/05/review_intel_pentium_dual-core/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/05/re...tium_dual-core/</a>

There's been talk about these things for a while now, what with single core processors reaching their limit.
Intel look like their gonna be setting the ball rolling and it seems to be preeeetty sweet.

The most impressive part for me:
<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->To get an idea of how good the PEE is at multi-tasking we started by playing Doom 3 on High Quality settings. As we expected, the ATI Radeon X850 handled it flawlessly. We quit the game and started a full system scan running in Norton AV which bumped CPU usage up to 75 per cent or so and then went back into Doom 3. Although it took a while longer to start up, gameplay was completely smooth and Norton's presence was completely undetectable. Once again, we quit Doom 3 and with Norton still running we set iTunes to transcode two albums' worth of MP3 files to AAC format. We opened Doom 3 up again, leaving Norton and iTunes running in the background, and the gameplay continued to be superb. It provided us with a computing experience that we have never had before. Very, very impressive, so just remember, the benchmarks don't give the full story.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comments

• Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    As awesome as it is, I'm holding out till AMD releases a 64 bit version of it. I'm guessing these processors will be <b>pretty</b> expensive though...
  • NumbersNotFoundNumbersNotFound Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7556Members
    Uh... isn't the whole "multitasking" thing the whole idea of thread priority?

On a regular ol' run of the mill CPU would it not run Doom3 perfectly if it was a higher priority than the transcode?

I'd like to know how fast the background process runs.
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-NumbersNotFound+Apr 6 2005, 11:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NumbersNotFound @ Apr 6 2005, 11:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Uh... isn't the whole "multitasking" thing the whole idea of thread priority?

On a regular ol' run of the mill CPU would it not run Doom3 perfectly if it was a higher priority than the transcode?

I'd like to know how fast the background process runs. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With current dual xeon systems, both processes (Doom3 and the background process) run perfectly. As each uses a seperate chip.
    Thats exactally how these run but you have the added bonus of having a lot less wasted cycles as the two processors talk to each other. AFAIK.
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    I'm betting that AMD will do it better and cheaper. From reading /., it seems like AMD planned ahead for this when they were designing the AMD64, whereas Intel is disadvantaged by the way they designed the P4. But then again, /. is biased towards AMD and I know almost nothing about chip design.
  • VenmochVenmoch Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1093Members
    What an unfortunate Acronym.....