Sentry Turrets Are Some Serious Bs

VashVash Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8333Members
<div class="IPBDescription">put a limit on them for gods sakes</div> Why is it that the alien offense chambers are weak and useless and easily destroyed AND there is a limit to how many can be built, but the marines can just spam buff uber turrets all over anywhere they want with no limit at all? I was playing in ns_nothing and we had all 3 hives but could not win because the marine base had at least 200 turrets jam packed inside it. Even an Onos got taken out in like 4 seconds. We finally pushed through it all with 2 lerks umbra'ing their little pathetic brains out while onos rammed the turrets. Seriously, there should be a limit to how many can be buitl in one area, like there is for offense chambers.

Comments

• Y3tiY3ti Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7853Members
    yea, there should be a limit of about 15 turrets or so, but try to remember turrets cost 19, plus the cost of a generator, and thats alot of resources if you have 1 nozzle... I mean if you can't take them out fast they deserve to live.
  • VittoPBVittoPB Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7566Awaiting Authorization
    my guess is that the server had something besides the current build or had sv_cheats on. I don't think that is poosible in he current build. I could be wrong though
  • WaffleSpoonWaffleSpoon Join Date: 2002-01-30 Member: 133Members
    Well, as soon as u can bilebomb corectly, it wont be an issue anyway.
  • VashVash Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8333Members
    We tried to bile bomb...there were so many as a fade with full carapace i stepped out for half a second and my health and armor got cut in half o_o
  • SnappleSSnappleS Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9073Members
    I don't think there should be a limit on turrets. Yes, they can make it hardly possible for the aliens to win, but that makes it the alien's job to make sure turret spamming doesn't happen. Get the turrets or men building them before they're everywhere, and destroy the turret factory. This is an element of strategy in the game.
  • ZhangZhang Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2477Members
    -Vash-, you obviously stepped out for too long. Sentry turrets will never hit you if you strafe out in the open, fire, and strafe back. Get regen + cloak on your fade and you can weaken the marine's turrets bit by bit. Besides, you guys had three hives already, so it's almost a guaranteed win. Just attack the turrets bit by bit and you can win. It's hard whwen the marines camp, but that means that theyre not winning.

turrets have a reaction time, so take advantage of that to launch a rocket at them and escape unharmed.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    He CAN win, but in the interests of gameplay, NS should be coded so that the "endgame" does not turn into a 2 hour whittlefest at the marine spawn. It's boring, it's annoying, and it's NOT what the game was intended to be. Simple solution? Make it so that it doesn't happen.
  • VashVash Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8333Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--SnappleS+Nov 17 2002, 05:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SnappleS @ Nov 17 2002, 05:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't think there should be a limit on turrets. Yes, they can make it hardly possible for the aliens to win, but that makes it the alien's job to make sure turret spamming doesn't happen. Get the turrets or men building them before they're everywhere, and destroy the turret factory. This is an element of strategy in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, if there is no limit on marines turrets, then why should there be one on the aliens turrets? Aliens offense chambers are a LOT easier to take out than the marines...we cant just bounce grenades around corners to kill them.
  • GravitonSurgeGravitonSurge Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6138Members
    OT's cost 14 per.. and can be made anywhere (and are easily healed with defense chambers)

Sentry Turrets cost 19, not to mention the 25 that is REQUIRED just for them to WORK AT ALL..
  • PawnPawn Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8120Members
    and yet the all those turrets could still be detroyed if u chould have killed the TF
  • LichoLicho Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3858Members, NS1 Playtester
    If you play well, it cannot take more than 5 minutes to win since the moment marines have only their own base..
    It's simple to take out either portals or turret factories.. If you cannot do it alone, you surely can if lerk helps you with umbra or with spamming respawn portals with spores. I just never experienced game (playing on aliens) that would last more than 5 minutes from the moment we start making final attack on their base.
    Yes I saw that as marine and I was thinking that aliens must be pretty stupid attacking with onos people or even turrets.. such wasting of time..
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I have a related rant. Why do people feel the need to post the same complaints in TWENTY DIFFERENT THREADS? It's not like this idea hasn't been brought up before.

1) Alien turrets are limited because aliens typically control the majority of a map's resources, and multiple gorges can build turrets anywhere on the map.

2) Bile Bomb currently does not correctly damage structures; it will be a much more efficient turret-killer once it has been fixed.

3) Sentry turrets search for targets once every half-second. They also tend to miss with their first shot. Therefore you couldn't have "stepped out for half a second and my health and armor got cut in half."

4) You say you broke through when you had Umbra support... welcome to the world of teamwork, Vash. Get used to it if you plan on being a good NS player a month from now. Once bile bomb is fixed, one lerk and one fade (with 3 hives) will be more than a match for most last-stand marine bases.
  • BananBanan Join Date: 2002-02-22 Member: 235Members
    The only downside I see with all those turrets is lag.
    Imagine like 50 turrets at one place all playing an animation and scanning for enemies, 0mgz l4gz0rz!
  • JasperJasper Join Date: 2002-04-08 Member: 390Members
    turrtes roxox baxy
  • ViolenceJackViolenceJack Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5624Members
    I think the only thing wrong with offensive chambers is they have really crap slow shot. They should be more like marine sgs. One thing though is Offensive chambers are ok at the start they can hold marines off, but once marines have ha and hmg/glauncher they oppose very little threat. On the other side marine turrets are really hard to take out unless the marines have placd the turret fact in a silly place then the skulks can get it. If in a good place you cant get em unless 2+ hives still then sgs are hard to destroy.
  • PetruPetru Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7259Members
    <!--QuoteBegin---Vash-+Nov 17 2002, 04:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (-Vash- @ Nov 17 2002, 04:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Why is it that the alien offense chambers are weak and useless and easily destroyed AND there is a limit to how many can be built, but the marines can just spam buff uber turrets all over anywhere they want with no limit at all? I was playing in ns_nothing and we had all 3 hives but could not win because the marine base had at least 200 turrets jam packed inside it. Even an Onos got taken out in like 4 seconds. We finally pushed through it all with 2 lerks umbra'ing their little pathetic brains out while onos rammed the turrets. Seriously, there should be a limit to how many can be buitl in one area, like there is for offense chambers.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Vash lad you are either an utterly terrible alien or just lying through your teeth.

Sentries are utterly pants, beatable with basic skulks and sitting ducks.

What do you do, walk up to them and stand still?
  • the_stalkerthe_stalker Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 49Members
    edited November 2002
    if you have 2 hives then sentries are nothing to you.
    make them harder targets and strafe around them and stuff like that, and find a spot where they cant shoot you by the turret factory and bite it to death and after you destroy the factory all the turrets in the area will cease to fuction.
  • WheezerWheezer Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3926Members, Constellation
    Maybe I shouldn't continue this thread, but anyways...

I built a 3 story stack of OC's and DC's. Somehow the ones on top sank down to the ground and ended up inside the bottom ones. If there wasn't any limit to the amount of alien turrets, a gorge with resources could build an infinite amount of chambers in one place.