Fast Download Server

BorisBoris Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11636Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How is this accomplished?</div> Now before you all tell me how to do it, know this much:

Currently my dedicated server runs an Apache Web Server that I use for all my content hosting.

I have everything set up and the banner.gif shows and everything while they download. I'm wondering how fast is fast supposed to be? It seems that it is not going as fast as it could be. I've instructed people to get custom content in a mappack that I have set up on this same webserver. When people download this 38Meg file, it goes faster than an 8-10Meg file downloaded in game.

What's the deal? Am I missing some cvar or something? Or do the rates of clients affect this?

Please help.

Comments

• DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    This is actually a feature of Steam and if enabled allows clients connecting to the server to download custom files very fast. My largest mappack (co_de_simpsons) has 30 files and can be downloaded in around 90 seconds.

It's difficult to assess why yours is slow without having access, or seeing your directory structure. If the clients are downloading correctly, they should see the custom (or bright pink in place of) banner - if it's NOT set up correctly they won't, and they'll be able to tell if they're downloading directly from the gameserver.

This is a must-have feature for any gameserver hosting custom files and works great. Hope this helps.
  • Cobra5milCobra5mil Join Date: 2005-03-02 Member: 43016Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Depot+Mar 3 2005, 04:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Depot @ Mar 3 2005, 04:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> This is a must-have feature for any gameserver hosting custom files and works great. Hope this helps. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And where can I get this feature you speak of?
  • BorisBoris Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11636Members
    It's not that you get it...rather you just set it up! Go to this link:
    <a href='http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=140&p_created=1093311485&p_sid=Itft6vzh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdlYnNlcnZlcg**&p_li=&p_topview=1' target='_blank'>Steampowered.com HTTP Fast Download Help</a>
  • BorisBoris Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11636Members
    If you wanted to test it depot...check what map my server is on...delete/rename the file on your local machine, and just connect!
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Got it bookmarked Boris, and will try to test it if a custom map appears.