Flush Packet

DarthChocoboDarthChocobo Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7110Members
I realize this is probably something very commonly known but I have no clue.. so here goes
I just setup an NSDS and my friends I were testing it, 8 player max.. about 6 people got on, and pings were great, game was great.. then BAM! like 10 minutes in, no one can move. They all get hammered by 'flushpacket' messages. Why? Did I have something configured wrong? A couple minutes passed and it went back to normal but, it really screwed up the game.

Comments

• SmellslikefecesSmellslikefeces Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8194Members
    edited November 2002
    cl_flushentitypacket error huh. Yeah I get that sometimes too. Its when your ISP's line to you get congested and no server packets can get in or out. Don't tell me let me guess you're on cable modem and your pings are in the thousands when this happens? Your cell is oversaturated and there is basically nothing you can do about it. I fought with Insight Communications (Columbus, OH) over this for 2 months and got 1 month of free road runner but that's it. Good luck!
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    They are correct - it's your pipe, not your PC. Most cable connections (and more and more DSL these days) can and will do this under certain circumstances.
  • DarthChocoboDarthChocobo Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7110Members
    Yep.. wow..
    Would upgrading my connection to more bandwidth help?
    But if it's at the box then I don't see how it would.. cause it's area wide.. ugh..
    We only had 6 players though.. I don't see how... and We all had 60-100 pings before it happened (and yes it did shoot up to 1000-3000 when it happened)
  • denizendenizen Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2935Members
    I had the problem on a 56k modem and I still get it occaisonally with the OC-12 connection on campus. Nothin' you can do.
  • TheiggstaTheiggsta Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6958Members, Constellation
    flushentitypackets occur when not enough data is being sent from the server to the client, thereforce it attempts to "reet" itself by clearing and retrying the connection. This is usually caused by excessive server loads and low burst traffic on your pipe to handle the packets.

Simple fix, lower your maxplayers!

-iggy
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin--Theiggsta+Nov 16 2002, 05:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Theiggsta @ Nov 16 2002, 05:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->flushentitypackets occur when not enough data is being sent from the server to the client, thereforce it attempts to "reet" itself by clearing and retrying the connection. This is usually caused by excessive server loads and low burst traffic on your pipe to handle the packets.

Simple fix, lower your maxplayers!

-iggy<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree, My pipe could handle 18 players just fine....just not with onos and 10000000 marnine turrets. I'm down to 12+2 players and that seems to have fixed that lag alot. but here is a new problem.

<playernick> has caused a DataGram Overflow

started getting this for everyplayer everysecond. I was on the lan and had 700ms+ pings. so don't even try blaming this on my pipe you "anti-cable " server haters. hehehe.

<i>restart</i> in the console of the server....

Poof, problem disappeared. Confusing......it just started dropping packets like crazy.
    Yeah well I've got some problems of my own. Every 5 - 10 minutes my server cpu usages goes to 100% and drops us all. I think it may have to do with admin mod and the bots I'm running.
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    bots could be the problem. I wouldn't recommend them right now.
    actually cheesy has released a newer version of his bot. it appears the older version would lock up hl so that explains it! I really like his bot because as a commander you can give them orders/waypoints and they actually LISTEN. Not really that good as aliens though. Too many of them turn into gorges. They make good skulks though. There's alot of potential there.
  • MellonpoprMellonpopr Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2304Members