Bind For Chuckle?

2»

Comments

• dave_hdave_h Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8528Members
    Ok, now I'm taking a lot of flack for my comments about how scripting rewards motivated players and such. What doesn't seem to be taken into consideration is the context of my statements. They are in response to <u>why people want or like to use scripts</u> and, self-admittedly, they have no bearing on the discussions about what is or is not fair.

Someone also mentioned that it's not fair to the 10 year-olds out there that haven't been to "scripting school." Well, harsh as it may sound, I just don't care about those players. Since I'm not on the marketing team, I don't have to worry about demographics, gender and/or age appeal.

Also, It's been mentioned that all one has to do is click a few hyperlinks and you're now a card-carrying member. What's really funny is the fact that this ability is actually a valuable career skill! I've been working as a software engineer for over 10 years now, and you would not believe how inept the professional public can be. We have <u><b>PROGRAMMERS</b></u> that come to work for us and can't seem to figure out one thing on their own. They don't seem to know how to use the web as a research tool and they actually have requested that the IT staff download and install an SDK or API for them! Funny as it may sound, there are a lot of people out there who genuinely do not have the experience necessary to locate, download and install a script. If a game they like to play motivates them to begin learning these omfg-so-basic skills, encourage them! Now many of you are probably thinking by this point that I'm full of ****, but mark my words, you'll see this in your career paths soon enough.

Lastly, back on the "why people want to use scripts" subject. As mentioned before, I am a programmer. I'm a terrible modeler/mapper, can't skin worth a damn, and when I need a graphical Proof of Concept, MS Paint is my friend. I enjoy playing games, but what I enjoy even more is taking them apart, tinkering with them, and learning how they work. A scripting interface is the first stop along this path, and it scores much higher on the instant-gratification chart than poking around the runtime with SoftICE or kd. When a game comes out that offers extensibility, I take it personally, as if the developers specifically had people like me in mind when they supported it. I think this may have something to do with why a 4+ year old engine still has the largest independant developer community coding for it.

I appreciate any arguments or counters to my statements, but please, make sure we're all on the same subject.

dave
  • BJayDBJayD Join Date: 2002-09-02 Member: 1263Members
    I think most people understand your opinion, you like to script because you enjoy it and it helps you learn about the game. Fair enough, script and encourage others to do so. But why must you script in a game where developers are trying to prevent it, or why must you use those scripts when playing online? Thats the main point.

Some people enjoy harassing other players, acting like idiots and such, but people don't tollerate that. Just because one person enjoys something doesn't mean everyone else will enjoy that person doing it. My point is that, in a mod where scripting is accepted, people can't complain. If you're scripts don't bother people, they won't complain. But in a mod where it has been decided by the creators that scripting is "bad", then they decided that for a reason, I'd imagine becase they don't want people to have an advantage over others in THEIR game. The NS Dev team aren't trying to stop you scripting in HL/CS/TFC or any other mods or games, just this one.

So I understand why people might want to use scripts, I don't necessarily agree with their usage but in most games and mods they're acceptable to use. If though a game is trying to prevent script usage, people should just accept it and play as normal, like everyone else does.

BTW, don't take any of my comments as "flack" I'm just trying to put forward my opinions and have a little debate on whether preventing scripts is good or not for NS, and personally I think so. (Just as long as the code is fixed to not be so sensitive and trigger on none script users)
  • BridgerBridger Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1761Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--FaceOff+Nov 14 2002, 03:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (FaceOff @ Nov 14 2002, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes it does make you faster.
    Yes it is laziness.
    Yes one button can make or break you.
    Yes scripting should be disabled on any game.
    Yes i hope the "anti-scripting" kills you ppl everytime you use it.

And if you honestly beleive that there is no advantage you need to get some help, how can you NOT see that pushing 1 button as opposed to 2 not being an advantage??
    Take your infomous jump-crouching for instance say you have a turret to jump over and a fade is on your **obscenity** shooting acid rockets, well you just push one buttin u duck and jump all together , while the other guy has to press two buttons, which does take a split second to think of the keyboard, instead of jumping with one button...and pop goes the marine without a script

correct me if im wrong i know you guys will anywas but its fine.

And as for the guy who said your experimentation and hard work rewarded? lmao how does that have anything to do with a video a 10 yr old kid could be playing this game just because he hasnt been to school for scripts,OS,msn... stuff like that your saying he should be deprived of it due to not being able to "experiment and research" i mean come on man think about its a video game not a damn college course.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    how many times have you *honastly* missed a crouch jump? maybe once in a thousand? After a year of gaming it's EASILY one of the manuvers EVERYONE can do ALL the time in the HL engine. The only way for the marine in your situation to die over a marine with scripts, is if he misses the crouch jump. And it seems to me if he can't crouch jump properly than he must not have been playing online very long.

So maybe it is an advantage, all be it a very small one. I'm not going to sit here and say it gives me no advantage at all, but i'm posotive that it doesn't improve my gameplay anymore than a nicer mouse would.

I'm going to say this one more time and hope that it falls between whichever lines your reading:

[B][U]<span style='color:blue'>I Don't Script So I Can Own a Server. I Script Because It Is Much Easier For Me To Play With Simpler Controls</span>

KISS. If a game is too complex then some of the fun is sucked out of it. The TFC and CS community embraces legitimate scripting and they make up more than 2/3 of the HL community. I think in the end it's that public acceptance that makes me right and you wrong (though you are of course entitled to your own opinion, albeit wrong). It is also a fact that valve put this ability in for us to use of our own leasure.

It was put it FOR us. It's out there for anyone to use and is very simple to learn. It gives almost no advantage and is accepted by the community at large.

If your not scripting your giving YOURSELF a disadvantage. It's not really my fault if you don't use the tools at your disposal (obviously talking legal tools that were put in by the devs, not hacked DLLs and aimbots).

P.S. Wolf has a point as well with the game controlers.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Vo0do0-MoNk3h+Nov 14 2002, 08:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Vo0do0-MoNk3h @ Nov 14 2002, 08:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here's a script I've found for other mods which is a perfect example of the advantages scripting can give for such things:

alias wait2 "wait;wait"
    alias wait4 "wait2;wait2"
    alias gaussjump "cl_pitchup -110;+back;wait4;wait2;+jump;wait4;wait2;-attack2;-jump;wait4;wait2;-back;fixpitch;force_centerview"
    alias fixpitch "cl_pitchup 89;cl_pitchdown 89"
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this is a type of script i do NOT endorce. Your absolutly right, this does WAY too much for the player and actually takes some skill off of his hands.

The scripts i use are weapon switch and jump crouch, and also in other mods i use a script for grenade throwing. It basically helps me prime the grenade, so if i press the key down it will select grenade, pull the pin and when i let go it will throw it. Now this is easily done by switching to grenade and holding down the fire button. I'm not doing anything that takes a lot of skill (ohhh! he can switch to grenade AND prime with 1 button!), and i've given out that type of script before. It's very useful and IMHO should have been built into the mod in the first place.

Like i said, those scripts which perform a task that would otherwise take a good amount of skill i do not endorce. But how much skill does it *really* take to prime a grenade or crouch jump or switch weapons? These types of scripts are harmless and the community accepts them as if they were built into the game (oh wait, they are!).
    <!--QuoteBegin--Vo0do0-MoNk3h+Nov 14 2002, 11:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Vo0do0-MoNk3h @ Nov 14 2002, 11:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So I understand why people might want to use scripts, I don't necessarily agree with their usage but in most games and mods they're acceptable to use. If though a game is trying to prevent script usage, people should just accept it and play as normal, like everyone else does.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think insted of trying to prevent scripting, they are trying to prevent script abuse. They've done nothing to elimiate scripting altogether. They've simply tried to fend off one of the posible script exploitation (imagine attacking with 3 of your different attacks at the same time? Talk about instant dead marine).
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Hmmm... topic is about chuckling. 3 pages of posting about scripts. Lockie-lockie...
  • FaceOffFaceOff Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7724Members
    edited November 2002
    See bridger thats your problem your thinking of yourself not of the general public...
    If your gonna *quote* me pls learn how to spell honestly
    Yea so you have played for a yr+ not everyone has and even if you have doesnt mean your an expert crouch jumper the point is spoken perfectly by what voodoo said:
    1. its and advantage (that you cant get through your head that it is)
    2. they wouldnt put anti-scripts in there if they wanted scripts to be used
    3. you keep saying ahh what was it "It was put it FOR us. It's out there for anyone to use and is very simple to learn. It gives almost no advantage and is accepted by the community at large." Well my friend ive played CS/tfc(tfcmuch longer) for well over a yr and you know what i never once had the urge to put a script in there because my lack of play.
    But the point is scripts ARE an advantage and ALWAYS will be.

I read somewhere they were talking about getting rid of the console that would solve most problems that and changeing the .cfg file to read only and if its altered the game won't run.
    Either way it doesnt matter really,
    Your a scripter for life and to me scripts for the most part are the same as hacks/cheats just learn to play the game the way it is made to be played and then you have somehting to talk about when you become awesome at it.

P.S Learn to modify your post dont waste space by posting 4 times after eachother.
    edited November 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--FaceOff+Nov 15 2002, 07:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (FaceOff @ Nov 15 2002, 07:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1. its and advantage (that you cant get through your head that it is)
      2. they wouldnt put anti-scripts in there if they wanted scripts to be  used
      3. you keep saying ahh what was it "It was put it FOR us. It's out there for anyone to use and is very simple to learn. It gives almost no advantage and is accepted by the community at large." Well my friend   ive played CS/tfc(tfcmuch longer) for well over a yr and you know what i never once had the urge to put a script in there because my lack of play.
    But the point is scripts ARE an advantage and ALWAYS will be.

I read somewhere they were talking about getting rid of the  console that would solve most problems that and changeing the .cfg file to read only and if its altered the game won't run.
    Either way it doesnt matter really,
    Your a scripter for life and  to me scripts for the most part are the same as hacks/cheats just learn to play the game the way it is made to be played and then you have somehting to talk about when you become awesome at it.

P.S  Learn to modify your post dont waste space by posting 4 times after eachother.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->  1. its and advantage (that you cant get through your head that it is)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've stated already that i admit it gives you an advantage, but the advantage is so insignificantly small i don't really care about it. It's not hurting anybody else i play with any more than if i got a new mouse. Hell, getting a cable modem over 56k would give me a MUCH bigger advantage then using a script of the type i'm discribing.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->   2. they wouldnt put anti-scripts in there if they wanted scripts to be  used<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's like your not even reading my posts. I quote:
    "I think insted of trying to prevent scripting, they are trying to prevent script abuse. They've done nothing to elimiate scripting altogether. They've simply tried to fend off one of the posible script exploitation (imagine attacking with 3 of your different attacks at the same time? Talk about instant dead marine)."

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->3. you keep saying ahh what was it "It was put it FOR us. It's out there for anyone to use and is very simple to learn. It gives almost no advantage and is accepted by the community at large." Well my friend   ive played CS/tfc(tfcmuch longer) for well over a yr and you know what i never once had the urge to put a script in there because my lack of play.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never said i used scripts to get an advantage. I use them because they make my life simpler and the game more enjoyable. I don't care about winning or loosing. I could have a 5/18 ratio and still have fun, as long as it's a close game! The worst types of games are blowouts. Being on the winning team of a blowout is about as much fun as being on the loosing team. There's no real challange. That doesn't mean i'll give up simplicity in my gaming, just that i like a close game.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Your a scripter for life and  to me scripts for the most part are the same as hacks/cheats just learn to play the game the way it is made to be played and then you have somehting to talk about when you become awesome at it.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well then i'm sorry for your loss. It you won't take advantage of the tools valve put there for you to use (in the correct ways) then there's nothing i can do. I do admire your cause to even the playing field. I too, adamently protest and hate cheaters. I do not, however, believe that scripts are anything close to cheating.

last one:<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->P.S  Learn to modify your post dont waste space by posting 4 times after eachother.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Replying to different people individually makes their life easier trying to respond to me. I'd much rather seperate differenat idea's into different posts.
This discussion has been closed.