Is It A Good Idea To Learn Softimage For Hl2?

menohackmenohack Join Date: 2004-02-29 Member: 26995Members
What I'm asking is will Softimage be the main modelling program for the (hopefully) new NS? Because if it is I should learn it now so I can keep up.

Oh and will everyone be using Softimage|EXP for Half-Life 2 or will they be using a more complete version?

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Softimage is just one of the many choices. 3dsmax, Maya, and Milkshape are all good programs, in addition to Softimage. Just use whichever strikes you as the best.
  • menohackmenohack Join Date: 2004-02-29 Member: 26995Members
    Yeah I know, but doesn't HL2 use 4 vertex polys and nurbs? Milkshape can't do either of them. Plus, it's hard to make complex models with milkshape. Aside from that, I wanna know which program has the best support for Half-life 2. I thought it was softimage because Valve made a deal with them, but I'm not sure.

Oh and Softimage is free so that kinda makes it better than the others for specifically half-life 2.

So which one should I try and learn? I already know Milkshape but I don't know Maya, 3ds Max, or Softimage.
  • PerditionPerdition Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29692Members
    edited November 2004
    Softimage isnt free...

Or do you mean Softimage|XSI v3.0?
  • slayerkl2slayerkl2 RUFCKINGKETAMINE?????? Join Date: 2004-10-17 Member: 32324Members
    im shure in a month there are gona be a zillion plugins and such and new versions of all the programs gor good hl2 support. I am standing by milkshape. And you can make complex models with it. It is easier to work with boxs rtather than polies but ive seen some crasy stuff people have made. .....
  • Smexy_WolfySmexy_Wolfy Join Date: 2004-05-20 Member: 28790Members
    edited November 2004
    im sorry to butt in
    but i have a free version of softimage, and been making models with it, but dont know how to make them mdl. format using it...
    how would you do that?