Mouse 'skipping'

titaniumtitanium Join Date: 2003-10-31 Member: 22166Members
i just reformatted and while playing NS my mouse freezes for a few seconds every minute or two at random. it simply stops accepting input and gets stuck. this also happens with my keyboard, but less frequently.

for example i'll be running in a straight line and hit strafe right and nothing will happen for a second, then i will start moving

i'll move my mouse to the left and nothing will happen but then i will start turning left after a second daily

this happens randomly and there is no pattern to it

my mouse and keyboard work fine in windows

suggest things

ps/2 keyboard
usb intellimouse

Comments

• BulletHeadBulletHead Join Date: 2004-07-22 Member: 30049Members
    erm... re-install the drivers for the mouse... all I can say 0o
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does it freeze everything when it stops accepting input(i.e sound looping/stuttering and so on), does it happen in all games? I've had this problem once, long story short, after fiddling around for a long time I found it was the mouse cord. It was broken so that when the cord bent it would sometimes cause either an open circuit or short between two wires, this happens much more frequently when playing games because the mouse is moving around everywhich way.
  • theclamtheclam Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Members
    For some reason, I've had similiar problems when I was running HL in Direct3D, so try OpenGL if you aren't already.

It would be helpful to know whether or not this happens in other games.
  • EmanonEmanon Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16254Members, Constellation
    Wireless internet?
  • MalevolentMalevolent Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18842Members
    Firstly, it could be lag on your connection. And you shouldn't really need drivers for your mouse (unless you want to use extra buttons on it that aren't recognized). If it's optical, something could be blocking it or the surface has a bad spot that causes loss of tracking. If it is a roller ball mouse, it could just be dirty.
  • exileSoulexileSoul Join Date: 2004-07-04 Member: 29716Members
    i talked to others and they told me it happened to alot of them. i thought itwas just a problem in ns or something since it effected a ton of people. this has been constantly happening to me.
  • titaniumtitanium Join Date: 2003-10-31 Member: 22166Members
    there are no drivers to reinstall

it doesn't freeze everything because as i said it stops accepting input, not locks up. i'm getting 99fps the whole time

i don't have any other games installed to try it with

there is nothing wrong with the mouse or cord because it was fine before i formatted and now it sucks

i'm using opengl already

i do not have wireless internet

it isn't lag, and the mouse is not dirty

i tried getting rid of my mousepad and using my desk and it didn't help any. i tried using a piece of paper (plain paper, taped to the desk) under the mouse and it seems to be fine now, although that may have been a coincidence. maybe my mousepad just sucks and i didn't notice before

although it's odd that it was only happening in games, because i really would have noticed it happening in windows as well
  • chaochao Join Date: 2004-01-30 Member: 25739Members, Constellation
    Seems you're not the only one...
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84856' target='_blank'>Here's</a> another thread, and I remember reading several others aswell.
  • coriscoris Join Date: 2003-07-08 Member: 18034Members, Constellation
    If its a MS mouse / keyboard, try setting type32.exe and point32.exe to high priority in the taskmanager.