Internet

SkinnYSkinnY Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7500Members
<div class="IPBDescription">acting wierd..</div> well, the thing is we got 3 computers hooked up to a linksys router, and up until a few days ago it all went well and we were all surfing happily on the www and gaming and enjoying all the pleasures of the internet... but now, it has turned into a pure living hell taunting us all the time...

my problem is that it keeps disconnecting us, but only for like.. 2 or 3 secs at a time, then there's a few minutes with internet, then it disconnects for a couple of secs again... and it's been doing that for a couple of days now, any of this happend to any of you guys ?

Comments

• tbZBeAsttbZBeAst Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12755Members
    Are you on xDSL?

If so, check to see if you're losing line synch - the router should have a light on it called LINK, ADSL, or LINE. If that's flashing, chances are its lost synch.

If not, call your ISP and ask them to check their radius logs to see if your router is giving a reason for disconnecting.
  • TyrainTyrain Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11746Members
    Plug your modem out and plug it in after arround 30-60 secs. That might help.
  • NEO_PhyteNEO_Phyte We need shirtgons&#33; Join Date: 2003-12-16 Member: 24453Members, Constellation
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-SkinnY+Oct 27 2004, 07:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SkinnY @ Oct 27 2004, 07:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> well, the thing is we got 3 computers hooked up to a linksys router, and up until a few days ago it all went well and we were all surfing happily on the www and gaming and enjoying all the pleasures of the internet... but now, it has turned into a pure living hell taunting us all the time...

my problem is that it keeps disconnecting us, but only for like.. 2 or 3 secs at a time, then there's a few minutes with internet, then it disconnects for a couple of secs again... and it's been doing that for a couple of days now, any of this happend to any of you guys ? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...i had something VERY similar.

internet worked
    internet down for ~60 seconds
    internet worked
    etc.

we never figured out why
    (linksys router, wireless DSL from Loganet.net)
  • 0blique0blique Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16477Members
    Borrow a router from someone else and see if it does the same thing. If not, then get a new router (if it bugs you that much). If it does, then try your router at someone else's place and see if it does the same thing, to see if it's your connection that's acting up.
  • antifreezeantifreeze The guy with the goods&#33; Join Date: 2003-05-12 Member: 16232Members, Constellation
    yeah we had it with out buffalo wireless router. Seem to fix it though by turning the modem and the router off for about 5 mins the pluging them back in.
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    I've had a similar problem also. Turned out to be my isp having issues with their DNS.
    It resolved itself tho.

When the net stops working, is it everything? Including IRC/Msn/things that get connected to a server and stay connected?
  • SkinnYSkinnY Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7500Members
    it's everything, but the thing is, it's only one comp at a time... im going to try the un-plug thingy...
  • SinisterSinister Join Date: 2002-04-15 Member: 451Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-NEO_Phyte+Oct 27 2004, 10:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NEO_Phyte @ Oct 27 2004, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->internet worked
    internet worked
    etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My cousin had this and it turned out that it was his routers firewall that reacted violently towards msn messenger, causing it to block all internet traffic for a short time for some reason. Switching over to miranda IM solved most of the problems.
  • NEO_PhyteNEO_Phyte We need shirtgons&#33; Join Date: 2003-12-16 Member: 24453Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sinister+Oct 27 2004, 02:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sinister @ Oct 27 2004, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-NEO_Phyte+Oct 27 2004, 10:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NEO_Phyte @ Oct 27 2004, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->internet worked
    internet worked
    etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My cousin had this and it turned out that it was his routers firewall that reacted violently towards msn messenger, causing it to block all internet traffic for a short time for some reason. Switching over to miranda IM solved most of the problems. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, except the only thing that changed before it started happening was the date
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    Do you have another router you could try?
    Sounds to me like its either damaged or possibly overheating (tho thats just a guess, dunno how hot it will need to get before it 'overheats')
  • BigMadSteveBigMadSteve Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13472Members
    We used to have a problem similar to that. Unplugging for 60 seconds would do the job for a good few hours. That was on the old router.