Animal Rights

Pepe_MuffassaPepe_Muffassa Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12401Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A different spin.</div> Hopefully this will be a refreshing, thought provoking topic. I bring this up because I don't want it to be a liberal/conservative battle. I just found this article, and I wanted opinions on it. How would one go about procecuting something like this? Who would get the money - not the fish? They don't need it.

Can Bush be sued directly?, Can the animals of all the worlds oceans sue, or just the ones near our coasts?

Now, I know it looks a little rediculous, but I do want to know how someone would go about doing this sort of thing, and if you people here think this sort of thing should be done.

<a href='http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=14&click_id=143&art_id=vn20041021064759606C762774' target='_blank'>http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=14&c...64759606C762774</a>

text:

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->US Navy's sonar equipment 'harms marine life'

October 21 2004 at 08:12AM 

Los Angeles - The world's whales, porpoises and dolphins have no standing to sue American President George Bush over the United States Navy's use of sonar equipment that harms marine mammals, a federal appeals court has ruled.

A three-judge panel in San Francisco, widely considered one of the most liberal and activist in the country, said on Wednesday it saw no reason why animals should not be allowed to sue but said they had not yet been granted that right.

"If congress and the president intended to take the extraordinary step of authorising animals as well as people and legal entities to sue, they could and should have said so plainly," Judge William Fletcher wrote.

The lawsuit was brought against Bush and Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on behalf of the Cetacean Community - defined as the world's whales, porpoises and dolphins - by their self-appointed lawyer, marine mammal activist Lanny Sinkin.

He claimed that the US Navy had violated the Endangered Species Act with its use of long- range, low-frequency sonar that can cause tissue damage and other injuries to marine mammals.

Sinkin could not be reached for comment on the decision, which upheld a lower court ruling. - Reuters<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comments

• TheWizardTheWizard Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10553Members, Constellation
    The fact that 3 judges felt that they saw no reason why animal's couldn't sue makes me cry.

/eating woodland creatures since 1980
  • CMEastCMEast Join Date: 2002-05-19 Member: 632Members
    I guess its just a good way of advertising the fact that the sonar equipment hurts marine mammals, I didn't know about it before and if you'd simply seen it in a newspaper there is a good chance that you wouldn't have posted it. The idea that if they were human they'd have sued by now is simply a good way to get the point across.
  • HandmanHandman Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15224Members
    <b>Your meal wants to sue you</b>

If this is a way to get the word out, it is a sad attempt. There are better ways that do not depend on whether news agencies find the stories worthy.

As for animals should be given the ability to sue, they just don't have the right. How does an animal go about filing a law suit? Once a preson does it, its no longer the animal suing.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-wizard@psu+Oct 22 2004, 03:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (wizard@psu @ Oct 22 2004, 03:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The fact that 3 judges felt that they saw no reason why animal's couldn't sue makes me cry.

/eating woodland creatures since 1980<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, a judge's role is to interpret and apply the law. If the law does not give animals the right to sue, they do not have the right to sue. You seem to have missed this:<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->[...]A three-judge panel in San Francisco, widely considered one of the most liberal and activist in the country, said on Wednesday it saw no reason why animals should not be allowed to sue but said they had not yet been granted that right.

"If congress and the president intended to take the extraordinary step of authorising animals as well as people and legal entities to sue, they could and should have said so plainly," Judge William Fletcher wrote.[...]<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The judges say that they see no reason why animals should not have the right to sue, but that they have not yet been granted that right. Simple.
  • Pepe_MuffassaPepe_Muffassa Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12401Members
    no, don't get me wrong - I'm against this sort of stuff. I was just wondering legitimacy of such actions, and how one would go about doing it.

I just want this to be a light, "what do you think" topic.
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Pepe_Muffassa+Oct 22 2004, 08:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Pepe_Muffassa @ Oct 22 2004, 08:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The lawsuit was brought against Bush and Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on behalf of the Cetacean Community - defined as the world's whales, porpoises and dolphins - by their self-appointed lawyer, marine mammal activist Lanny <b>Sinkin</b>. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is this real? The lawyer's surname makes me suspicious.
    a quick google of his name does show a real person exists, and he is involved with marine biology in some way shape or form.
    What I want to know is how much of the settlement he would retain for being the marine mammal's advocate.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    Oh my god. That's how you can tell that the world is going to hell. The same animals that we use as our food consumption can now sue us. Anybody else see this as problematic?

Soon microbes and robots will have rights. I pity the world.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Hawkeye+Oct 22 2004, 12:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hawkeye @ Oct 22 2004, 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Oh my god. That's how you can tell that the world is going to hell. The same animals that we use as our food consumption can now sue us. Anybody else see this as problematic?

Soon microbes and robots will have rights. I pity the world. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That isn't entirely true.

The law suit was for whales, porpouses, and dolphins - none of which we eat a whole lot of. Also, if my understanding of it is correct, they aren't trying to sue for killing them, it is for causing them undue harm by using sonar type x (long-range, low frequency).

I think the point is that the navy is torturing these mamals by using this type of sonar - not necessarily killing them.

Now, I'm not an animal rights activist, but I believe that we as a forum can distinguish between giving our food rights, and harming animals unintentionally.

So, given what this article is argueing, Does he have a point?

Should animals under these circumstances have the right to sue? Should the laws be changed to allow animals (or their reprentatives) sue for misconduct?
    No, think of the huge burdon this would put on the court system. Lawyers would be suing people every time a cat/dog/squirrel/deer/etc was hit by a car.

And that is just one example. I can't even imagine how far it would be taken.
  • HandmanHandman Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15224Members
    The next question is why the Bush administration and not the government or navy. Last time a checked sonar technology has been around a hell of a lot longer than this administration has been in power. That and the timing can lead one to believe that a political agenda is somewhat involved.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Handman+Oct 22 2004, 01:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Handman @ Oct 22 2004, 01:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The next question is why the Bush administration and not the government or navy. Last time a checked sonar technology has been around a hell of a lot longer than this administration has been in power. That and the timing can lead one to believe that a political agenda is somewhat involved. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is a new type of sonar that people believed was implemented only during the Bush admin. Therefore it must be their fault.

Pretty much I think they are blaming the Bush admin. because they did not stop it.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    Well I mean when a cow gets slaughtered, the parents of the cow or the children of the cow do not have rights to sue the meat packaging company, right?

I would think that hurting them would even be less of a big deal than killing. Animal rights activists need to worry about more important things like livestock getting killed before worrying about whales getting a mild headache due to sonic waves.

I mean, I haven't flipped right? People still do eat hamburgers right? It isn't the other way around?
  • Edward_r2Edward_r2 Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23626Members
    Animals do have rights, and anyone who denies them these rights is a certified nut job.

Animals have the right to be my delicious dinner.
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited October 2004
    How can you say this isn't important without even understanding the situation. I've been hearing reports alot recently about the use of sonar equipment beaching whales, and that IS a big deal if it is true. I also don't think hurting them simply means 'headaches' for the whales.

[refering to what Hawkeye said]
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Pepe_Muffassa+Oct 22 2004, 08:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Pepe_Muffassa @ Oct 22 2004, 08:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A three-judge panel in San Francisco, widely considered one of the most liberal and activist in the country, said on Wednesday it saw no reason why animals should not be allowed to sue but said they had not yet been granted that right.

<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I quit.
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    What do I think?

I think this is pathetic...
  • ThE_HeRoThE_HeRo Join Date: 2003-01-25 Member: 12723Members
    What the hell is the US court system coming to? Good god.
  • ThardinThardin Join Date: 2004-01-05 Member: 25081Members
    Not the right to sue, but they should have the right to live without us tormenting them and possibly beaching them.

If you honestly can see a dog get beaten in front of you by a master with little reason I would be shocked if you didn't care even mentally.

Whales are not a common food source, there whole species is mostly endangered in fact and further damaging this species via radar is something that must be brought up.

I mean, theres a difference between killing an animal with a few quick moves and another matter totally when you disrupt their living day for no reason what so ever with searing pain from which can get them beached is a problem.

But for the species that are harvested for food, as long as you kill them outright and not take your time its not a problem as there food. (There are obviously sick people that torture animals just for fun of it, including cows, although there is not that many as people proclaim.)

Whales are not for eating or killing, its like you value dirt (cows) as much as diamonds (whales), you can't both treat them as easy throw aways and not expect someone to yell at you for such a stupid mistake.
  • Edward_r2Edward_r2 Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23626Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Thardin+Oct 22 2004, 08:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Thardin @ Oct 22 2004, 08:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Whales are not a common food source <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tell that to Japan and Russia, because apparently they weren't informed of the facts.