A Bit Baffled

MightyMooquackMightyMooquack Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12356Members
I recently set up a FreeBSD box to turn into an NS server. (If you caught my earlier post asking if a P3 450 MHz was fast enough, this is another, faster computer.)

I have a little script for starting the server called "run," which reads:

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->./hlds_run -game ns +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -port 27017 +maxplayers 20<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

... where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is my external IP addess. When I try to start the server, I get this:

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->Auto detecting CPU
Using AMD Optimised binary.
Auto-restarting the server on crash

Console initialized.
scandir failed:/usr/home/steam/hlds_l/./valve/SAVE
scandir failed:/usr/home/steam/hlds_l/./platform/SAVE
Protocol version 47
Exe version 1.1.2.0/Stdio (valve)
Exe build: 02:38:45 Jul  7 2004 (2738)
STEAM Auth Server
couldn't exec language.cfg
WARNING: UDP_OpenSocket: port: 27017  bind: Cannot assign requested address
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Couldn't allocate dedicated server IP port 27017.
Add "-debug" to the ./hlds_run command line to generate a debug.log to help with solving this problem
Sun Oct  3 14:56:09 PDT 2004: Server restart in 10 seconds
Sun Oct  3 14:56:10 PDT 2004: Server Quit<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

My network setup is simple: I have one static IP, a firewall/NAT box running OpenBSD, and several computers behind it on the internal network on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet; the NS server is 192.168.0.3.

The firewall is configured to forward all TCP and UDP packets on port 27017 to the NS server.

Any ideas?

Comments

• VadakillVadakill The Almighty BSO Join Date: 2002-04-02 Member: 373Members, NS1 Playtester
    You sure nothing else is using that port? Check your running processes and make sure you kill all previous HLDS processes before you try again. Also, you may want to specify a map on that command line.

./hlds_run -game ns +exec server.cfg +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx +port 27017 +maxplayers 12 +map ns_nancy
  • MightyMooquackMightyMooquack Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12356Members
    edited October 2004
    The "run" script now reads:

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1--> ./hlds_run -game ns +exec server.cfg +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -port 27017 +maxplayers 20 +map ns_nancy<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

The output is exactly the same.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You sure nothing else is using that port? Check your running processes and make sure you kill all previous HLDS processes before you try again.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, quite sure. And "ps -ax" reveals no errant processes.