Co Mapping Contest

18910111214»

Comments

• BelgarionBelgarion Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 973Members
    not to mension post count is indicative of nothing in the way of experience...
  • BlackPlagueBlackPlague Join Date: 2004-02-02 Member: 25990Banned
    yeah i know, but he might be new and he might not know what to do for the judgin :-/ and he might mess up somewhere
  • HanzGrub3rHanzGrub3r Join Date: 2004-02-23 Member: 26823Members
    <b>BP</b> - So the new guy might do or say something that would make people think less of this competition? Oh yeah, by the way, where do I send my funniest home video of what a team member did - and does it earn me extra marks?
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    Excuse me? New guy? I've been playing HL mods in general for several years now (since 2-3 years previous to CS beta 1.7), having graduated from the oldskool games like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. I've played many games, seen many maps and would regard myself as a very experienced gamer. I've mapped for Quake and Half-Life and understand intimitely the neccessities of creating an NS or a CO map, I'm not just some noob who found a forum post randomly. Naigel directed me here because I was interested in the RR he won his constie for. So please, please do not even allow the words 'New Guy' to even cross your mind or leave your lips when referring to me.

As for whether you'll let me judge the comp, that's your decision. I was just trying to help you finalise the damn thing. I'll be posting some screenies in this forum just to show how this supposed noob maps once I get to the texturing stage of my map. But this will take a while since I'm really noob and like to test certain map attributes for distances to Rts and Hives for both teams, siege radii etc. Before I even begin to worry about how the map is going to be textured or lit I concentrate on what will inevitably determine how much a player likes it - and that my friends is playability.

Now I'm sorry if that's just sounds a bit noob to you, but this is my first ns_map and I'm setting the bar high, so sue me.

ns_tbc@13%
  • ShenTraXShenTraX Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22434Members, Constellation
    edited August 2004
    /me blows the dust of the 5 1/4 floppy disk with the Wolfenstin 3D map he made on it.

<-- old

/e-spell
    i dun mean new guy to games dude, i meant to the forums >_< grrrrr
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited August 2004
    What does it matter whether I'm new or not to the forums? I'm sure you probably have a list of qualities you think the winning entry should excel in, and that the judges should mark on that. Would you deny Iikka Keränen the chance of judging this competition simply because he was new on the forums? I think not.

If you have a full complement of judges then correct me, but my impression was that you were looking for people to critique and reward these maps. It seems rather dismissive of you to deny people new to what afterall is simply a forum (that may or may not be populated by experienced mappers) for ideas and opinions (that may or may not be NS-related at all) on the grounds of them having recently arrived. How many posts have you seen that simply say: 'Well said' or 'What drool'. Whether someone frequents a forum or not -be it 'Hatchling' or 'Dark Minion' is no indication whatsoever of whether he might be capable of judging a competition, whether to do with maps or poetry.

I'm not trying to get at you personally, I just cannot understand your motives behind that decision.
  • raqualevangelraqualevangel Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26435Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-ShenTraX+Aug 25 2004, 05:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ShenTraX @ Aug 25 2004, 05:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> /me blows the dust of the 5 1/4 floppy disk with the Wolfenstin 3D map he made on it.

<-- old

/e-spell <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i didnt have a computer till after 5 1/4. its really a shame. im sure those things were funner to throw than 3 1/2s are. which reminds me, floppies suck. somebody tell sony to make minidisc drives that can write anything you want to onto minidiscs. not this sony audio crap.

combat mode sucks. why am i posting here...

and why did blackplague bump a thread that he got flamed in for being an idiot. this competition is probably a horrible idea. wasn't it suppose to be done by september 14th? im pretty sure its the 29th... of september. isn't this over or something?
    no, it was changed to the end of the year.