Mad Overclock

13»

Comments

• MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    It was a quote pyramid, and discussions about the pyramid. And spam contributing to the pyramid.
  • DelarosaDelarosa Naturally Custom Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10214Members, NS1 Playtester
    liquid nitrogen cooling is not new, or safe...

in a completely sealed system, the liquid nitrogen 'evaporates' much faster than would deem desired by any serious company.

it's also exspensive to buy, hold, transport, handle and take care of liquid nitrogen. i've tried this little experament in my garage... i got to the part where i was going to buy the liquid nitrogen.

when i found somone that would deliver to residential neighborhoods, i discovered their minimum order was 30 gallons... and at $8.50 a gallon, only to be stored in a state-installed sotrage unit (which is alot more than you'd want to know) it therefore made my little experament a bust...
  • Vash_Fourty_Five_LcVash_Fourty_Five_Lc Join Date: 2003-06-01 Member: 16913Members
    Oh I know it's expensive, dangerous stuff, etc. just was wondering what the "smoke" coming off the heatsink was....

Btw Del, what DID you do to get ready for that experiment...
  • raz0rraz0r Join Date: 2003-07-24 Member: 18395Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Vash TS .45L.C.+Sep 28 2004, 07:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Vash TS .45L.C. @ Sep 28 2004, 07:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Oh I know it's expensive, dangerous stuff, etc. just was wondering what the "smoke" coming off the heatsink was....

Btw Del, what DID you do to get ready for that experiment... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I assume the smoke would be nitrogen, in a gas form.

Even my school isn't allowed to keep Liquid nitrogen, even only for the A-Level students, and it's not worth the trouble.
  • NEO_PhyteNEO_Phyte We need shirtgons&#33; Join Date: 2003-12-16 Member: 24453Members, Constellation
    edited September 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Infinitum+Sep 27 2004, 08:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Infinitum @ Sep 27 2004, 08:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can't maneuver!

<span style='color:white'>Stay on topic.</span>

We're too close.

<span style='color:white'>Stay on topic.</span>

Loosen up!

*explode* <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    winnar

:edit: note, his post was NOT edited
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->it's also exspensive to buy, hold, transport, handle and take care of liquid nitrogen. i've tried this little experament in my garage... i got to the part where i was going to buy the liquid nitrogen.

when i found somone that would deliver to residential neighborhoods, i discovered their minimum order was 30 gallons... and at $8.50 a gallon, only to be stored in a state-installed sotrage unit (which is alot more than you'd want to know) it therefore made my little experament a bust...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's difficult to find a place to buy it and it's difficult to transport, but it's actually available _much_ cheaper than that.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I assume the smoke would be nitrogen, in a gas form.

Even my school isn't allowed to keep Liquid nitrogen, even only for the A-Level students, and it's not worth the trouble.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Oh I know it's expensive, dangerous stuff, etc. just was wondering what the "smoke" coming off the heatsink was....

Btw Del, what DID you do to get ready for that experiment...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No it's condenced water vapour, like fog. And it's not very dangerous unless you're daft enough to contain it in a closed vessil of some kind. It evaporates so quickly that it cannot wet the surface, it just rides around on a pillow of boiling nitrogen. It's not at all dangerous to spill a little on your hand or get a few drops of spray on you. Hell I bet you could spill a liter of it over your shirt and jeans and it would just run of onto the floor and boil away, just don't try to stick any extremities down into the liquid and whatever you do don't EVER touch anything metal that you have cooled in liquid nitrogen, metal transfers heat very quickly and does not create a cushion of boiling nitrogen keeping you away from it.