For The Love Of God

DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
<div class="IPBDescription">use the damnmenu ppl</div> Perhaps its just my fave servers, but any time I get on a server and go comm I see the same damn prob.

"Comm I need this, comm I need that"

USE the damn MENU.
Why ask for a medpack when we have a nice button to do it for us, the comm can then press his apearing button and go to your location.

Now lets see the damn type way I see so often lately.
You type, thankfully smart enought to tell your location.
the comm needs to manually go to that location, lets asume he knows it.
He needs to select the damn medpack and give.
Now we are asuming ppl know location names and name then. Well, since I am crap @ names I know I won't always remember them as comm.

Maybe its just me, but this is with anything. uSe the damn menus. Asking for a rt sure, but PLS hit the in position button. Ammo, medpacks, buildings, catpacks. If it does not have a button use "in position or awaiting orders"

Very pls?

Comments

• TOmekkiTOmekki Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23524Members
    bind z "impulse 10; say_team i need a medpack !"

dunno if it works with blockscripts tho, havent played b5 with my own confs.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I never mind them asking by text, aslong as they also use the damn menu.

lets hope more ppl will now by readin this.
  • mirrodinmirrodin Join Date: 2004-06-29 Member: 29621Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-TOmekki+Sep 20 2004, 06:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TOmekki @ Sep 20 2004, 06:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> bind z "impulse 10; say_team i need a medpack !" <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It seems to work on the WarmFuzzyland server but not on the OldF servers. I think the OldF servers have blockscripts on. It's really annoying!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Yes that won't work with blockscripts, but this will:

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->alias medpack "say_team I need a medpack!; impulse 10"
    bind "z" "medpack"<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->
  • MamboKingMamboKing Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27169Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-D.C. Darkling+Sep 20 2004, 07:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (D.C. Darkling @ Sep 20 2004, 07:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I never mind them asking by text, aslong as they also use the damn menu.

lets hope more ppl will now by readin this. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its much worse when they "ask" on the mic.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    so true.. so very true
  • SlayerPLSlayerPL Join Date: 2004-07-01 Member: 29660Members
    bind z "impulse 10; say_team i need a medpack !" doesnt work on scriptblocked servers. You have to use an alias:

alias meds "impulse 10; say_team i need a medpack !"
    bind z "meds"
    do the same with ammo
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    Or, if you can comprehend that using the impulse will mean any skulk in your vicinity will know where you are (ish) and that you need meds/ammo, you will realise that text binds for meds/ammo can be extremely useful when coupled with a competent com.

How hard is it to extract from this typical team_say bind :

"SpaceJesus: (Eclipse Command) .::Medpack::."

That I'm in EC hive, and that I need a medpack?

Now, using this bind means that the com knows *exactly* the same as using an impulse, only any nearby skulks won't know that I'm wounded, or in fact nearby.

You could argue that once the com drops the med, the skulks will know that I am there. Your point is null, I would have got the medpack by then and be ready to face down those skulks.

Hence the benefits of using binds (omg script h4x) instead of impulses.
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-[=Terra=] Ripley+Sep 20 2004, 08:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([=Terra=] Ripley @ Sep 20 2004, 08:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yes that won't work with blockscripts, but this will:

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->alias medpack "say_team I need a medpack!; impulse 10"
    bind "z" "medpack"<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *sigh* Yet another reason why blockscripts wins my most hated cvar award.
    I don't say never read them.
    for some locations like hives we can make exeptions. But usually it would own if ppl use the damn menu.

of course, there are exeptions.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-SpaceJesus+Sep 20 2004, 01:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SpaceJesus @ Sep 20 2004, 01:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How hard is it to extract from this typical team_say bind :

"SpaceJesus: (Eclipse Command) .::Medpack::."

That I'm in EC hive, and that I need a medpack? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not every place on a map has a name associated with it. Plus the comm has to actually know all the names, which isn't always true. Using the impulse means all the comm has to do is hit jump, which saves him a lot of time compared to tracking down exactly where you are.

Most of the time, the kharaa already know you're there if they're nearby. Marines are noisy. Plus the comm is going to make a bunch of noise when he drop something for you anyway.

If you're in a spot where you want specific feedback (like: "hey comm do you want to siege from here?"), then you're going to have to give more information then your location anyway. So it's not really worth a bind. Type it out or use your mic.
  • KaineKaine Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1096Members, Constellation
    edited September 2004
    This is so true. I'm not a comm, but i AM a career Marine. so many idiots screaming for medpack over voicecomm, only to get neglected by a comm who has better things to do than search the map for the frantically jumping & spraying marine. then they spend the next 10 minutes bitching that they could've taken the hive singlehandedly (yerr....) if the comm wasn't such a "sh** c***" and had med-spammed when he wanted... rah rah rah *quit* leaving marine team short on players etc... etc...

oh and "I DONT HAVE TIME TO USE THE MENU!!!!!1111oneone" is <b><i><u>NOT A VALID EXCUSE</b></i></u>

BIND SOMETHING TO IT. NOT HARD.

*edit*
    incidentally, if you think that calling for a medpack is going to attract skulks to you, you're dead wrong. if you need a medpack, you've been attacked, so at least one alien already knows roughly where you are, and that you're injured. yeah, ok, so once you have the med you'll be on 100 health, but you'll have very little or no armor, so you're pretty much screwed anyway. I've known comms that refuse to med lone 'rines unless they are alone for a VERY GOOD REASON(like building PG... ramboing is NOT A GOOD REASON.) also, you've probably been parasited.

those bloody "][ ** <> < .: MEDPACK :. > <> ** ][" team_say binds are a pain in the ****. they obscure everyone's vision, the talk sound obscures background sound (that is absolutely crucial to most marines) and it is usually more likely to irritate your comm than it is likely to get you a medpack. this is mainly 'cause the comm is more interested in keeping your teammates alive (and rightly so) than reading your stupid bloody bind spam

so quit bitching and hit the impulse command, marine.
  • AdvisorAdvisor Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12104Members
    I was wondering if the mic speaks to everyone or just your team.
  • kabo0mkabo0m KT of Insomniacs Anonymous Gaming Community Join Date: 2004-08-06 Member: 30415Members
    it depends if ALLTALK is on. Usually only an admin can turn it on or off.