Commander Menu Doesn't Have Any Color

therther Join Date: 2004-06-28 Member: 29601Members
The title is a little misleading. The command menu does have color, that color just happens to be black. Completely. The cursor is also black. When I hit tab for the scoreboard, the server name/map name are also black (used to be blue?). I just updated my video drivers. I am running windows2k3 on a 2.6 amd with 512 megs of ram, and a radeon 9600. I've tried switching to direct3d, software, and back to openGL and nothing seems to work. I had this problem in the first steam beta as well, but not on the WON version. My hardware and OS hasn't changed since WON either. This problem is only specific to NS, not any other mods that I play, third-party or otherwise.

Is there a simple solution to this problem that I'm just missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• DantemssDantemss Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24305Members
    edited September 2004
    You just installed NS Steam, right?

This is a gamma bug, I believe. Either you are externally forcing your gamma (video card settings?) or your video card is having trouble changing it or something like that. I can think of 2 possible solutions:

1- Go to the video tab and tweak your gamma there. If there is an improvement, but it's not enough, reduce your lightgamma to 2.
    2- Use an external program or the driver settings to control your gamma. Someone has solved their problem using this, but I'm not sure which settings or which program did he use.

If you are having gamma problems on custom maps, just press esc to fix it.
    Keep playing using OpenGL, btw. It's the only supported video mode. (D3D works, but has problems)
  • therther Join Date: 2004-06-28 Member: 29601Members
    I tried adjusting the slider in-game and it exits, but when the game restarts the gamma slider is in the same place that it was before.
    here is a screen shot of the menu.
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make sure you config.cfg file isn't write-protected when you are changing your gamma.
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    i had this exact same problem happen to me. i had no idea how it happened, or why, but it might be something to do with the video card drivers. try rolling back to a previous version, worked for me.
    How old were the vid drivers you went back to? I went back to the ones at the beginning of 2004 and I still have the problem.
  • Hunter_ExtremeHunter_Extreme Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24334Members
    i also have this problem
    i have a Nvidia 6800GT
    and it dosent have any color on my com chair Screen

plz someone find out how to fix this
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    If this is the bug that I think it is then it has been around for a very long time, and there is no known fix (as there is nothing that correlates the different people and the problem)

I am guessing that you also get a blacked out alien Hud (can't see the hives properly, your adren/rez bars are black etc)

The original problem stemed from having multiple monitors. If you have multiple monitors then disable the second one (not just turn off or unplug, DISABLE, this goes for if you have a vid card that supports said set up)

However after this many people have gotten the same problem.

there is absoloutly no known fix/workaround for this problem.

All I can think is if every one posts up very explisit system specs we might be able to find a corelation.

include everything:
    sys specs
    dxdiag
    OS
    OS patches
    any 3rd party programs running
    try ussing this tool: <a href='http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php' target='_blank'>CPUz</a>

EVERYTHING
  • Hunter_ExtremeHunter_Extreme Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24334Members
    i love how i have the baddest Graphics card made today and get problems cause its to advanced
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Hunter_Extreme+Sep 26 2004, 06:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hunter_Extreme @ Sep 26 2004, 06:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i love how i have the baddest Graphics card made today and get problems cause its to advanced <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    wth did you just say?

your last post made less sense then I normaly do!