Strategy For Ns_hera

GrailGrail Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7233Members
edited November 2002 in Frontiersmen Strategy
<div class="IPBDescription">Image included...</div> I just wanted to open up a thread and talk about map specific strategies.

I labeled the major rooms so that we can talk about choke points and weaknesses and have reference points.

So... to start this off I will offer my ideas of this map.

Room #1 is of course Marine start and should be built up as seen fit.
I like to try and control rooms #2, #9 and the pathways to the north of #9. This in effect cuts the the map in two, thus obtaining the "divide and conquer" situation. Also, this either denigns the aliens the third hive or cuts them off from the other two (which happened last time I controlled these areas).

Anyone else have ideas? And if the moderators don't mind, and there is enough interest I will post other maps (this was just the first one done).

-Grail

Edited to have a smaller file dimension wise.

Comments

• reborebo Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2734Members
    edited November 2002
    Ive been thinking alot about hera, as it is VERY biased towards aliens (i.e. lots of skulk vents etc).

I try to relocate main base to 2(reception) and then have a massive turret pressance at 6 , then try to make a sub base at 6 (hive). The advantages are that the holo room 9 is always takeable via sieges and it only leaves one way into the hive via a grate at the back of processing. Control of 9(holo-room) is very important as it has the double nozzle, it is hard to control tho due to the amount of entrances and mulitple vents.

edit:: Can anyone explain exactly how the blast doors work on hera? I cant figure out what exactly the welding does to them.
  • GrailGrail Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7233Members
    Why do you like to relocate to Reception (#2)? It seems to me that the command center would be more exposed.

And I agree that the Holoroom (#9) seems to be much contested and very important room to control.

Does anyone know if a Siege Turret placed in room #6, can it affect room #5?
  • reborebo Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2734Members
    edited November 2002
    My basic theory of relocating to room 2 is that once youve lost it to the aliens you have probably lost the map. The big lift means that DC's and OC's can be built on top of it and heavey alien offensive can heal at the bottom of it. It is basically an impossible situation to break. Having the IP's at the reception means toops respawn quickly into an important area. It also means there are only 2 entrances into the base area whereas in the default room there is 3.

A recent game we played which we did lose we were holded up in the reception for over an hour and a half (a long time to hold on imo) and had 3 good chances to break out with a phase gate in another part of the map. The reception is also a great place to launch an attack on the left hive, which once taken can be a b!tch for the aliens to get back.

The hardest thing about this map for the marines is the limited number of nodes near the start. For the marines to get a fair percentage of them they need to spread out, and as we know a spread out marine force = skulk meat.
  • BaShildyBaShildy Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2466Members
    Where did you get this image? If you made it, how did you make it? I am really interested in getting one of these for every map.
    edited November 2002
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=9602' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...t=ST&f=4&t=9602</a>

You can download the maps that Relic made, or you can make your own.

And like I said earlier, if there is interest I would like to discuss each map in turn.

-Grail
    Thanks for the link.

I think its great to discuss each map individually.
    edited November 2002
    I will be posting the other maps as soon as I finish labeling and maybe actually getting the actual map names for areas. I should have them up by Monday.

What map is the most popular or needed one that we would like to talk about next? That way I can work on that one first.

-Grail
  • LitanyLitany Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8043Members
    The thing about staying in the default spawn (#1) is that the CC is very well defended with only one access point. In order to attack it you need to move up the lift, down the corridor, and open the doors. In a room like reception there is no such choke point. Just a thought.
  • XpanderXpander Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2535Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--rebo+Nov 10 2002, 10:53 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (rebo @ Nov 10 2002, 10:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ive been thinking alot about hera, as it is VERY biased towards aliens (i.e. lots of skulk vents etc).

I try to relocate main base to 2(reception) and then have a massive turret pressance at 6 , then try to make a sub base at 6 (hive). The advantages are that the holo room 9 is always takeable via sieges and it only leaves one way into the hive via a grate at the back of processing. Control of 9(holo-room) is very important as it has the double nozzle, it is hard to control tho due to the amount of entrances and mulitple vents.

edit:: Can anyone explain exactly how the blast doors work on hera? I cant figure out what exactly the welding does to them.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is somewhat true. However, you have to consider the fact that the Marines have a couple of VERY IMPORTANT siege spam points. Not going to name them for the sake of @-holes, but three resource nozzles can effectively be taken out of the alien's control by placing siege turrets in ANOTHER room. I lost many a gorges and RTs trying to figure out how this happened.

It's easy for the aliens to scuttle about in this map, but if the Marines maintain RT dominance (with the sieges), the Aliens will get screwed.
  • KhaosKhaos Join Date: 2002-08-17 Member: 1183Members
    And not to mention you can close the majority of the vent shafts. I normally go around closing every vent I can 'cause us marines rarely use them. I also like the doors in room 2, I weld off the hatch on one of the control panels (on the marine side) so if there is an alien rush coming from that direction (pretty common from what I've seen) I run back to the door and close it. With the panel on their side being closed, the only way in through there are the vents, which I also close. Then the only way they can get to marine spawn is from the dark hallway on the east side or the door in the back, which is closed for the most part.
    If your going to label more of these, could you label each room with its ingame name. And label each hive location with its name. And finally the marine starting point.

I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks.